Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 21 Jan 2021

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Sep 2007
Notes left: 1030
Last seen at: Brisbane, Australia.
k0n0k0 wrote:
In my opinion, I think the radio is an important thing in Silent Hill. I have played other horror video games and I have to say, in silent hill, the radio make me feel nervous and sometimes scared (specially if it's my first time and I don't know what's going to happen). Because, something that silent hill have that I love a lot is the "you hear but you don't see" thing. And the radio helps in that. I remember when I played for the first time SH2 and I really listen to the radio and didn't saw any monsters around me, but I knew they were there... but where? It's amazing lol.

I agree. The radio is also a unique feature of the game and adds a dynamic that I have not seen in many other survival-horror games.

H+

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Nov 2009
Notes left: 7
In my opinion, one of the biggest aspects of the "scariness" in the game is the way it builds suspense. The horror is very subtle; things don't just scream at you, but you're still always on edge. The radio going off makes the player react in a more panicky manner, and will immediately inspire fear. On the other hand, if you just see monsters, you just kill them and it's no big deal.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Jan 2008
Notes left: 141
Last seen at: Omnipresent
I've been thinking a lot about this lately, and I've tried playing SH2 with radio on and music off.

I found that the radio did indeed increase the suspense quite a bit.
Very nice.

This coffin is your abode from now
and onwards

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Aug 2009
Notes left: 10
Last seen at: Brahms
I think that the radio off is definitely scarier; I always rely on knowing that there are creatures ahead, so I can prepare myself. For me, it's kind of like being unarmed. That's why I got kind of nervous when I had to leave all of the weapons and items on the shelf in SH2.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2195
Last seen at: Koholint island
^ Your avatar is a bit too big. :)

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Aug 2009
Notes left: 10
Last seen at: Brahms
cascade88 wrote:
^ Your avatar is a bit too big. :)

okay, thanks for letting me know. :)

Post subject:

With the radio because tension increases. I thought it was scary walking into certain rooMs
s of the apartments when the camera faces James and all u hear is static. And the room with dead James with the tv playing white noise tripped me up. Whenever I hear the radio go off I puke

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 25 Jan 2010
Notes left: 59
Last seen at: Arkham Asylum
Scarier with the radio for sure.

I just finished a playthrough of Silent Hill 1 and during the sewer level, it wasn't as scary. I play on doing a SH2 run this weekend, so I can edit if I change my mind. It adds the sense of knowing something coming but you don;t know what or where. It builds a sense of foreboding only to be a Creeper or something. Without, its like oh, hey, there, didn't know you were coming jumped a bit and it was over. With the radio you have to suffer.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 03 Mar 2010
Notes left: 17
Last seen at: Massachusetts, USA
I would have to say leaving the radio ON is alot scarier for me...

Especially in the Apartments, walking into a dark room and immediately hearing the radio static builds much more tension in my opinion. Having to search around the room expecting a monster around every corner just creeps me out. Once I find the monster, a sigh of relief can be heard from me.

Whoever thought of the radio static idea is a genius...

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Feb 2010
Notes left: 75
Last seen at: Basements Basement
>I would have to say leaving the radio ON is alot scarier for me...

Especially in the Apartments, walking into a dark room and immediately hearing the radio static builds much more tension in my opinion. Having to search around the room expecting a monster around every corner just creeps me out. Once I find the monster, a sigh of relief can be heard from me.

Thats exactly like me. I hate knowing there is something just waiting to jump out.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Feb 2010
Notes left: 11
With radio, definitely. I remember when I played with a chainsaw, I was even more tripped out because of the sound, so I soon realized it's much better for my and my nerves to play with a pipe or something more...subtle... :mrgreen:

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jun 2008
Notes left: 276
Last seen at: Silent Hill, trying to find my TARDIS.
Off topic: About the Chainsaw, yeah it does take a little away from the game, but it is fun to go all Leatherface now and then on the enemies. GRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNDDDDD!

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2939
Ever since I unlocked the chainsaw, it's all I use. I like having one powerful, dependable weapon. I thought I'd end up using the hyperspray more often, but then I experienced firsthand how shitty and unreliable it was.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Feb 2010
Notes left: 139
Last seen at: London
The radio is a big part of the whole gameplay experience. I have never turned it off for a whole playthough because I like the sudden crackle; puts me on edge.

When you turn it off, you can still hear their feet shuffling anyway.

Post subject:

I like the radio, even though it sounded more like ringing than static in SH1. I think it's the lack of a radio in SH4 that I dislike about it.

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Jul 2009
Notes left: 3535
I believe that it's scarier with the radio. Can't you remember the Rompers in SH1 chasing after you, and you can't see them because of the dark Otherworld? Remember that your own warning was the eerie radio static, and the moans of the creatures :P ?

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jun 2008
Notes left: 276
Last seen at: Silent Hill, trying to find my TARDIS.
In the dark outdoors otherworld of SH1, I just ran. I mean, my radio never shut up so I assumed that they were everywhere in the dark just chasing me, (and I was right, as every now and then I'd have a near miss by a romper, a wormhead, or a night flutter).

Run. Run run run.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Mar 2010
Notes left: 31
with of course...
i didnt like playing sh1 cause of the radio (sh2 wasnt as scary with the radio but thts cause most times your in doors)
i mean if none of them have even played any of the games b4 then their gonna first off hear the radio and think wtf is tht noise then boom! theres a monster fkin squirming at you and then its up to you to scare them the rest of the way...:)

:twisted: RedPyramid :twisted:

Post subject:

Holy sh**, I don't usually start this kinda thing, but you really need to downsize that avatar. I believe the linit is 100x100 pixels for non-subscribers.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Mar 2010
Notes left: 31
ok...lol

:twisted: RedPyramid :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next