Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 17 Jan 2021

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SHH Staff Writer
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Feb 2008
Notes left: 1124
Last seen at: A place between here and there
I think the assumption with wanting to kill her mother stems from the "now you're the only one left" and "maybe then I can rest" comments. I'm sure there's a way, but how do you explain those outside the context of wanting to kill her mother?

Backloggery | GoodReads | MyAnimeList

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 May 2006
Notes left: 1881
Last seen at: in the branches that blow
Angela was regressing and remembering a tie when she was happy. She is torn to bits with guilt, rage and the constant search for her family of the past. If one wanted to kill their mother I do not think you would call her "momma".

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Aug 2009
Notes left: 27
Last seen at: the mad tea party
MMY wrote:
Well, Angela probably wasn't raped.

After all, no mother would tell her daughter, "You deserved to be raped."

sorry to rain on your parade but yeah... i had a girlfriend once whos mother told her that she disurved to be raped. her mother told her that she was "trying to f**k daddy" (the litteral wording) the mother and father were both later put in jail for abuse and rape (the mother enabeling rape)

sorry kid but it happens...

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jun 2009
Notes left: 648
Well, we've been fairly one-upped.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

sorry neon i didn't mean for that to be mean i was just saying that it happens :(

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19447
Last seen at: #lfk
We still have to make the assumption Angela's mother would do such a thing. The likelihood, however, is so painfully unlikely I'm willing to say, "No."

. . . Esp. when we don't have the evidence to prove Angela was ever sexually abused to begin w/.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Feb 2009
Notes left: 8073
^What about those "female corpses" with blood on the sexual area that we see in the staircase? Or those things in the walls that keeps "penetrating" while we're fighting the first Abstract Daddy/Flesh Lips, whatever. What about'em?

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Sep 2009
Notes left: 475
Last seen at: Behind the pipes
I've always assumed that anything dealing with Angela was aimed at Angela herself. I don't recall much mention at all about her mother so speculating on her mother never even crossed my mind.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

MMY wrote:
. . . Esp. when we don't have the evidence to prove Angela was ever sexually abused to begin w/.

she has the mannerisms of a rape victim in the way she holds herself, the way she dresses and sometimes the way she talks (though you cant tell with the awful voice acting :p) through dialogue. With as much detail put into this game its plausible if not true that the creators purposefully researched and added those mannerisms

Post subject:

^ The knife that she was carrying could symbolize a thing or two too. Rape victims sometimes cut themselves, doesn't matter the area though.

Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
Mephisto wrote:
What about those "female corpses" with blood on the sexual area that we see in the staircase?

Look, they're not female. The blood's an illusion, too.

As for the cutting thing... that's really reaching. So many girls cut in their emotastic teenage period, and most of them aren't even sexual abuse victims. Correlation is not causation.

Also, I'd like to make a general plea to everyone who's about to start the "Was Angela raped" argument for a fourth consecutive time: Please read the last thread that was all about this, so we won't have yet another thread that retreads the same arguments over and over again because everyone's too lazy to read the arguments that were already given and in all likelihood will be given again.

Yes, it's long. I'm sorry. I promise that it's genuinely interesting, though.

Post subject:

^What the Hell...? I always thought that they were female, in the game it looked like they had tits. Thanks for showing me some proof, that's all I wanted ;)

Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
No problem. :) For arguments like this, proof is the surest way to actually resolve anything.

That was from the last thread, and I really mean it when I say that it's interesting, especially from Page 28 onwards. That's when we start getting things that weren't in the second thread (which I participated in, almost a year ago), such as alone in the town positing that this is actually a Biblical allusion at work (combined with Angela's ascension up the burning staircase... to sit at her father's right hand).

Summaries won't cut it, you'd best see it for yourself.

Post subject:

^ I'll take a look, but don't expect something marvelous from me, too many pages, well that's crazy. I'm not ignoring the thread or the theories believe me, but I think that my contributions in that other thread won't make any difference because everyone pointed out their thoughts and some were exactly like mine, so I won't have anything interesting to say.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

>she has the mannerisms of a rape victim in the way she holds herself
Angela has the mannerisms of someone physically abused, too. Does that mean all victims of physical abuse have also been sexually abused?

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

your right MMY but i feel that there is enough hints dropped that it isn't that much of a stretch to say she was sexually abused. from Abstract daddy, to the more subtle ones like the Seductress in the prison bathroom

RESPECT
 Post subject:

The seductress tablet is James' creation, though—we're seeing glimpses of what James considers the Trinity: Eddie is a fat, disgusting piece of [expletive deleted], James subconsciously knows he's an oppressor, and Angela is seducing him to suicide.

Really, all of this has been discussed ad nauseum in all of those previously linked-to threads.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

Don't forget the Abstract Daddy, it somehow resembles a manifestation of what James did to Mary, too.
There's a theory for that somewhere but I can't remember the thread's name.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 490
Returning to the original post, the OP brings up the idea that Angela goes to Silent Hill to look for her mother.

This is interesting, and brings up several ideas. One, that Angela is returning home. I read somewhere that Angela would periodically run away, only to be brought back by her father. With no father to haul her back home, she comes back herself. Possily because she recognizes the threat that she ran away from to begin with is no longer present.

Later, she says that her mother told her she deserved what happened to her. The thing about this is that it is shortly before Angela ascends the flaming stairs. It is entirely possible that Angela met a manifestation of her mother, just like James met one of Mary. Perhaps Angela's overjoyed reaction to James' appearance on the stairs was her hoping that her mother had actually come to save her.

But why would Angela come to associate James with her mother? The only actions James have ever taken toward Angela were attempts to help Angela, going so far as to save her at one point. It's possible that Angela's mother, aware of the abuse leveled by Thomas, stepped in on Angela's behalf more than once.

The summit of Angela's journey was to face the event that brought her there in the first place: her father's murder. By the time we find her on the stairs, she is reliving the event. With James' appearance on the stairs, she believes her mother has found her one last time in order to save her, because James did exactly what her mother did times before.

With the understanding that James is in fact not her mother, she falls back on her psyche's condemnation of herself. Perhaps this "mama" who told her that she deserved what happened was a manifestation of her own self-loathing and guilt. With no one to support her, she succumbs to it. Perhaps the only reason this manifestation appeared was that she was afraid that her mother would hate her for killing her father.

Of course, this is only an alternate explanation. There still remains the more excepted idea that Angela literally didn't have anywhere to turn to, and her optimism was only that of a child who desperately wished that someone would save her and love her.

Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
But why would Angela come to associate James with her mother?

He's the girliest thing Angela's seen in Silent Hill, obviously.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next