Mary stayed at Brookhaven Hospital

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

tokyo pistol
Just Passing Through

Post by tokyo pistol »

They may not ban you, but I hope they do. You lower the collective quality of the forum.

Forget the fact that he's a mod. He made a theory based on IN-GAME evidence. A lot of Monobrow's theory was based on psychoanalyzation of characters that DON'T EXIST. Other people who argue similarly to Monobrow don't come close to how well Monobrow argued, leaving their posts rather unconvincing. You are just trolling and not providing an argument at all.

Whether one is right or wrong is irrelevant; the fact is, it's just a game, St. Thomas evaluated it as such from IN-GAME evidence, and reached a conclusion. The conclusion that Mary stayed at Brookhaven is more plausible than what Monobrow and others have argued.

This is a known point of contention for this forum, thus making it a big deal for St. Thomas to make this post. In other words, shut up. It's more pathetic to me that you're trolling this thread than if St. Thomas wrote a dissertation about Mary staying at Brookhaven.

Fly away, troll.

Ninja edit: the post that I am referencing is gone, but maybe this will keep other trolls away!
kunonabi
Just Passing Through

Post by kunonabi »

This is gonna be sort of point by point argument, although I dont intend to say that Adversary is wrong but rather that he isnt necessarily right either.

First of all, there is this whole issue of whether or a terminally ill woman in the last stages of her life would be sent to a mental institution. It seems rather unlikely to me that they would do such a thing for what appears to be a bed-ridden dying woman. My father Dr. C.B.G Campbell(feel free to look him up) and his collegues all think this concept is far-fetched and utter non-sensical. I tried looking for specific standards and practices regarding the situation but could not find any. So in regards to this point I cant outright says its false but you cant blame the rest of us for being unsupportive of it either.

>" The doctors know that Mary wanted nothing more than to see Silent Hill again, despite James’ absence. The memory of James bringing Mary flowers is, so I believe, one of—if not the—final time James visits Mary at St. Jerome’s—it may even be because of this conversation that the following occurred, but I do believe that this is one of the last times James sees his wife alive. "

We do not know for a fact that the doctors are aware of her desire to return to Silent Hill. For all we know only Laura and James are aware of this.

>There are four important parts in this letter: “...I won't be in this hospital anymore,” “I’ve gone to a very far and quiet place...”, “I’m sorry that I left without saying anything,” and, of course, “Happy 8th birthday.”

The line last, preceding what we learn from Laura—that she “turned eight last week”—proves that Mary did not, in fact, die three years ago, but was still alive as recent as seven days ago. In conjunction with the first part of the letter—“I’m far away now”—Mary wasn’t telling Laura that she was dead, rather she was going to that “very far and quiet (beautiful) place” she talked about all the time: Silent Hill. This wasn’t a messaged used to confuse a child in reference to Heaven or an Afterlife, it’s just a message, I’m sorry I didn’t say goodbye, but I’m okay now, where I wanted to be. This is why Laura comes looking for Mary in Silent Hill: she, too, believes she’s alive—and knows that this is where Mary wanted to be more than anything.

In your mind these lines indicate that she is being moved to Brookhaven. However it is also highly possible that she was referring to going home and dying or she felt that was about to slip away there in the hospital. Keep in mind that Laura doesn't even consider the fact Mary is just flat out dead. The idea of her being shielded from such realities is not that far fetched. I have heard this whole business about Laura being Silent Hill in a desperate search for Mary. Yet almost every time we see her shes barely even looking for her. When James meets her on the wall shes just playing around by herself. Then she scampers into a bowling alley to hang around a while. We could say that she followed Eddie inside but there is no proof of that. So she runs off to the hospital, yet when we find her she is again playing around with stuffed animals. Keep in mind that Laura is IN misty silent hill which means there may be more to her than is generally said. Unless we going to argue that she for someone reason exists in both the real world and misty silent hill. Even when James asks her if she is looking for mary she doesnt say " yes " directly similar to Eddie's dodging of the subject.

Even if we assume Laura is as simple a creature is thought, it's fair to say that she jumped to the conclusion of Mary being in Silent Hill based of how vague the letters were.

>In this diary, leading up to the days before her death, Mary hasn’t come to grips with her impending death. She apologizes for it, goes so far as to blame herself, but still states she’d rather die now than wait. Yet she’s unable to kill herself.

Didnt you say before that she was suicidal and thus needed a mental institution? If her depression wasnt serious enough at any stage to kill herself why would they send her for a week to Brookhaven? Especially if she were that close to the end?

It is also said that she couldnt tell her feelings to James in person and so had Rachel give it to him when he arrived to pick her up? We dont know that she couldnt apologize to James in person. It is just as if not more likely that she had not intended to return home or felt that James wouldnt pick her up and thus left a goodbye letter. True this is a little more ho hum but not everything has to be overtly complicated. This also indicates that Mary left letters with two separate nurse which comes across as slightly odd

There are several other interesting things to note about Brookhaven Hospital. One is on the map James carries—or what isn’t on the map. Brookhaven, as a building, a little purple dot, is present, just south of Heaven’s Night—also on the map. What’s peculiar is that Brookhaven Hospital isn’t named on the map; there’s nothing to indicate that it’s a hospital. According to this theory, the reason Mary states “We promised to go there someday, the two of us, but because of me, it never came true” is because James didn’t come to Brookhaven with Mary, but instead, Mary came alone—thus: they didn’t go together, so not just “the two of us.” And, if that’s the case, could it be that the reason Brookhaven doesn’t show up on the map is because of James’ memory repression?, and that, to him, it was just another building on a map? Heather carries the same map as James, but to her, Brookhaven Hospital is clearly marked. Why, then, would it not be for James?, and James only?

As for the hospital not being marked it is possible that the developers wanted to keep it as a surprise that you were headed to another dreaded hospital. Or maybe Mental institutions dont make a good tourist attraction? There is more than one answer and we cant say for sure which is right.

>We promised to go there someday, the two of us, but because of me, it never came true” is because James didn’t come to Brookhaven with Mary

This isnt much of an argument as it's just as possible that she was too sick to take a vacation in Silent Hill. There are extra medical bills and It wouldnt have the same magic as before. It can be her fault without her being institutionalized at Brookhaven. Hell, James could visit her and they can stay by the garden. This line obviously has a different connotation than the English translation which seems to blames James, however it doesnt really point that she had to be at brookhaven to be her fault. As for that diary that you say was also written by Mary, Why does it end ubruptly? Especially if she wrote a letter the next day?

>Another interesting thing to note is Maria’s reaction to the [otherside], specifically on the first floor. On any floor, in every other room, Maria acts normally: a blank stare, straight ahead, or at James. The first floor, however, coming off of the elevator, Maria acts noticeably different. (Keep in mind, too, that you never have to take Maria to the first floor, but if you do, you have the chance to see her act—more importantly: react—in a way you can’t see elsewhere.

With her back to James, her face to the wall, it seems there’s something about the first floor she doesn’t want to see or be reminded of. Being an aspect of Mary, replete with her reticent memories, this is a glimpse into the side of Mary that Maria couldn’t prevent from making itself known—same with her outburst in the basement, and how she feels “like it’s up to me to protect her (Laura).”

When I first read this I thought it was a fairly strong indicator that you could be right. Yet there really isnt much of a difference in her actions. She's merely looking at a GIGANTIC blood stain. What a way to keep your mind off of things. As soon as you start moving she follows right along.

>The floor where Laura stops to play with the bears she happens to love—that even Maria knows she loves—and in that very room, in the [otherside], is the sound of glass-smashing. And, of course, it’s well known that sound plays an important & crucial role in determining past events in Silent Hill, and there just so happens to the sound of something glass crashing against the floor. What’s smashing? Perhaps a vase of flowers given to her by James; a vase that afterwards she smashed, because “I don’t deserve any flowers… I’m disgusting.” This, then, is where I believe spent her remaining days at Brookhaven Hospital: Room C2, on the first floor.

Two problems here. Glass smashing is not always a huge indicator of past events in Silent Hill. There are various places in the original SH where you can randomly hear glass breaking including an empty room where glass breaks over and over and over again. So this particular instance doesnt necessarily mean anything. It might, it might not. Second I didnt hear the glass break in the room with the teddy bears, It broke in one of the other rooms and I just played through this 5 minutes ago.

>Finally: the [otherside] itself. In Silent Hill 2, the [otherside] appears only twice: at Brookhaven Hospital, and the Lakeview Hotel. Why these two places? Why not Woodside/Blue Creek Apartments? We know that the couple didn’t spend any time at the apartments during their vacation—they stayed together at Lakeview Hotel—and we know that James didn’t stay at Brookhaven Hospital, so why did it change if the [otherside]’s presence is because of him? Simply put: It’s not.

The lakeview hotel and the hospital are the TWO major environments in the game. The apartments are merely a brief opening dungeon. And even then once you go through the window it takes a darker presence. The prison and the labyrinth are so obscure to begin with that having an otherside is somewhat pointless. It's safe to say that this can be chalked up to game design and the effect a hospital would naturally have on James. It's like saying "OMG alessa didnt stay at alchemilla she stayed at Brookhaven, look how awful Brookhaven was in SH3!!" A hospital is going to have a profound effect for heather regardless of whether she was there or not. The brookhaven otherside in SH3 is probably the most charged locale in the entire series. This because of what it represents not because on any literal connection.

As for that being Mary on the gurney thats your interpretation. I(among others) have always felt that its pov shot of James with Mary calling to him. It always seemed obvious to especially if you pay attention to the geography of the area and that it represents his movement from the misty sh to the otherside. But hey to each his own.

>If Team Silent didn’t want people to believe that Mary spent anytime in Brookhaven Hospital, they wouldn’t have left so many clues suggesting it—whether anyone feels they’re blatant or not. The developers could’ve easily made the hospital just another “spooky area.” They didn’t. They included so many “little things” that amount to an overwhelming “big thing” it’s absurd. Personally, these are all very clear indications that Mary stayed here—there is no doubt in my mind—and to think otherwise cheapens the game & its meanings drastically, which clearly shouldn’t be the case. If that is the case, then things such as Mary’s dress in the apartments, lighting James’ way, the recurring television from room 312, the identical door leading to Angela in the apartments’ bedroom & in the Labyrinth, the dead body in the refrigerator and Eddie dying in a refrigerator—all of these things should be overlooked, ignored, avoided, shrugged-off, passed-over, and regarded as meaningless; as just visual fluff.

Just because one thing is false is not going to indicate that everything else is going be empty. Be aware of cognitive distortions people.

Now here is the thing, Adversary is completly entitled to his opinion. Hell my image of silent hill 2 is just as if not even more off the beaten path. I know for a fact my image is wrong(thank you oh so much SH4) but I continue with it because its the only way I can enjoy the game. Otherwise I spend much time being annoyed with the games plot holes. Adversary has the benefit that he cant really be proven wrong unless Konami decides to do something crazy. I just find it unfortunate that he tends to dominate alot of the people here and they seem scared to venture forth thier opinions and disagree with him. All this long and poorly written post was meant to do was show that his theory is not bulletproof. He overcomplicates the game, as do I. I'd rather see that than alot of the crap on some of the other silent hill forums I've been to.

Remember Team Silent are not gods, not everything is high art, some of it is logistics, game design, and poorly implemented thinking. I mean hell they contributed to the abortion that was SH4.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>this whole issue of whether or a terminally ill woman in the last stages of her life would be sent to a mental institution.
Sigh. Brookhaven Hospital isn't solely a mental institution. I make very clear note of this, on numerous occasions.

>We do not know for a fact that the doctors are aware of her desire to return to Silent Hill.
The fact that she "talked a lot about Silent Hill" and how much "she really wanted to go back" is indicative of her vocal desire to be there.

>it's fair to say that she jumped to the conclusion of Mary being in Silent Hill based of how vague the letters were.
Except that this doesn't negate that fact that Mary states she's in Silent Hill as she's writing the letter to James. Coupled with the letter to Laura, stating that she's "at another hospital," seems to be a clear indication that she's hospitalized in Silent Hill.

>She's merely looking at a GIGANTIC blood stain.
There are blood-stains everywhere in Brookhaven Hospital. Why would Maria be so attracted to this one?

>There are various places in the original SH where you can randomly hear glass breaking including an empty room
And in each instance, it holds significance to the past.

>I(among others) have always felt that its pov shot of James with Mary calling to him.
Yeah, me too, if you'd read it. It's James experiencing the same thing as Mary had, as she's carted through the hallways, calling out for James--a man who, despite being her husband, never visits her in the hospital (also specifically noted in the letter).

>I just find it unfortunate that he tends to dominate alot of the people here and they seem scared to venture forth thier opinions and disagree with him.
If that were the case, there'd be a lot fewer posts in the threads I post in. And I seriously wish people would get over this. Maybe it's because my ideas have substance?, and people believe in them? God forbid.

>All this long and poorly written post was meant to do was show that his theory is not bulletproof.
That's fine & all, but considering there's a legitimate counter to everything you've posted doesn't prove that it isn't "bulletproof", now does it?

>I mean hell they contributed to the abortion that was SH4.
Bullshit. Silent Hill 4's story is on-par with Silent Hill 2's.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Hell_is_Silent
Cafe5to2 Waitress
Location: Deep down in places you don't talk about at parties.

Post by Hell_is_Silent »

St. Thomas wrote:Bullshit. Silent Hill 4's story is on-par with Silent Hill 2's.
I am quite happy to hear this. I agree that it is in the same ballpark as SH2 and doesn't get enough respect.
[img]http://myspace-237.vo.llnwd.net/00776/73/23/776203237_l.jpg[/img]
Rastek
Just Passing Through

Post by Rastek »

Yes, SH4, though being the small retarded kid in the SH family, does have a good story. I would have liked it more if it actually happened in Silent Hill and if the main character wasn't a robot.
Wait wHile thEse Rats End themselves And tomoRrow wE maY hOld oUr hands
(?)
Silent Addicted
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Addicted »

Ok, i'm a noob but the Adversary's theories seems really good to me, at the point that i believe Team Silent was not too wise in the characterization of the hospital. Let me explain: if the doctors really thought Mary could commit suicide, they would have been quite noob docs to put her in the low (if any) security floor of the Brookhaven; infact, an isolation room (like the ones we find in the upper floors) is meant to prevent not only the violence a patient could direct to other people, but to himself too. So, in a sense, if Mary was in Brookheaven for her mental illness, these floors would have been better suited for her. If, on the contrary, she wasn't so depressed, well, i believe no doctor would have reasonably chosen to put her so close to that mad characters in the upper floors.
However, imo TA's theories are still good ones. And the fact that the hospital's name it is not on James' map but it's on Heather's... hey, that's pure genius, and a really persuading argument too!
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time...
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

Ok, I've only played SH2, but there's one thing I still don't get. In the hotel scene when Laura is talking to James. She talks about Mary and says, "She talked alot about Silent Hill. She showed me all her pictures. She really wanted to come back." In a previous reply, pages ago, it said that Mary went to Silent Hill to die. Sure that may have been the case, and, but if so, I really don't understand why someone who's hospitalized somewhere would be so enthusiastic about being there. And why would they have stayed in the hotel if she was hospitalized there?
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

They stayed at the hotel on their honeymoon and left the tape there. That was shortly before Mary began showing signs of her illness, three years before she was hospitalized in Silent Hill. Her memory of their honeymoon (and/or possibly an unmentioned prior visit) is what made her yearn for one last visit.
B5160-R
Historical Society Historian

Post by B5160-R »

^ Just a tiny comment: we don't know for a fact if they had their honeymoon in Silent Hill -- there's no mentioning of it in the game. It's a likely assumption, though.
[ Un-Space Exploration - UE photo blog ]
Cujos13th
Just Passing Through

Post by Cujos13th »

I agree to Adversary's theory, to me it makes the most sense and I like it.
But I also believe that all the theory's are correct >_<
Because the game was made to keep people constantly wondering so that no matter how many times you went through it and no matter how many times your "positive you've figured it out" you cant forget it because theres always that small doubt in your mind, which makes you come back to the game in hopes that you can solve it. Er...that was probably senseless rambling...but yeah... ^__^
So...the Alamo
toadstool
Gravedigger

Post by toadstool »

youve done alot of work to put together the posts
but on the first floor in the brookhaven hosptial,
it wasnt locked, but there was still the lock combination near the door
has this been established yet??
HARK, do you not hear the voices,
they are only audible if you listen first
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>it wasnt locked, but there was still the lock combination near the door
There isn't a combination lock on the first floor.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
BloodRedLion
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by BloodRedLion »

What’s smashing? Perhaps a vase of flowers given to her by James;

I agree with most of what you theorize in that document, but this seems to be a rather large leap. It's definitely possible, but I don't think there's any substantial evidence to support this particular claim. That's quite a big connection to make from just one sound of glass breaking.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Anywhere else in the series the sound of glass shattering has significance to the story. If someone can offer a more valid explanation of it in that particular room I'd be happy to hear it. But I haven't. In six years.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
BloodRedLion
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by BloodRedLion »

...Really now. every single time the sound of glass is heard it holds significance to the story? I find that to be a bit of an exaggeration.
toadstool
Gravedigger

Post by toadstool »

there IS a lock on the frist floor of the hosital. i just played that part recently, and it was on the left hand side of the double doors!
Anywhere else in the series the sound of glass shattering has significance to the story. If someone can offer a more valid explanation of it in that particular room I'd be happy to hear it. But I haven't. In six years
i dont recall a clearer explanation. maybe there isnt one i wouldnt know sorry
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>every single time the sound of glass is heard it holds significance to the story?
Well, yeah. There's only a few.

>there IS a lock on the frist floor of the hosital.
Second and third floors.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
toadstool
Gravedigger

Post by toadstool »

ill try to print a picture of it out. but i dont know how
could i use a regular camera?
its not locked but look hard, im not lying
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Mary stayed at Brookhaven Hospital (massive overhaul):

Post by redrum »

St. Thomas wrote:So what once was a two-page outline of ideas is now a five-page essay. Just go here and download the document--I didn't want to have to type it all in & change all of the italics & points of emphasis through the codes in here.

This is what I believe. If you choose to dispute it, fine, but it's really not going to change anything.

(This was my 6600th post, by the way.)
it all makes perfect sense!
toadstool
Gravedigger

Post by toadstool »

yeah it does, i always assumed the roof diary was marys to begin with cause she stayed there before.
he did alot of work and figuring things out
he brought to my attention the doors and i would of never seen that