Eddie's first victim, chillin' in the fridge:

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

lain of the wired
Historical Society Historian
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Re: Eddie's first victim, chillin' in the fridge:

Post by lain of the wired »

Maybe it's really just an aesthetic choice trying to evoke a certain mindset in the players, specifically "shit just got really messed up and dark?" There's just something about those emaciated legs stacked up in small holes in the wall that just screams "you've seen this before and it didn't make you comfortable then..."
Oh. Maybe that's why. (Fair warning: the two links at the bottom don't get any better, but do make my point)

This is one of those straw-grasping threads that really, when you get down to it, is nothing but an interesting observation and a great find, image-wise, but doesn't have substance for the deep, meaningful speculation we drool over. Eddie lost his shit, and in his mind, he went on a justified, consequence-free killing spree. When confronted with his guilt over what was really no worse than killing a dog and capping a jock, he buried himself in his defense mechanisms to deal with it (I'm thinking rationalization, dissociation, and reaction formation especially). In his efforts to run away, and in entrenching himself, he broke.

These bodies are weak, emaciated and helpless victims of someone who was bullied and snapped: it's role reversal for him. Now, being big and fat is no longer weakness, but power and strength, and the stacks of bodies everywhere? Could be trophies, like a serial killer, or could be the designers trying to spook you. Body in the fridge? Could represent shame over an eating disorder, or maybe Eddie's designed to be like Lenny from Of Mice and Men and that's the sort of thing that happened in the book, or maybe the idea of legs sticking out of a fridge is so fundamentally bizarre, we're just supposed to be creeped out and not think too deeply about it.

There's nothing wrong with using the model several times, because it can very easily be justified with something like "the victims are faceless or otherwise identical, because Eddie no longer feels the need to differentiate others: they're all laughing at him in his mind, and they're all going to die for it." Maybe. Or maybe it's just the same model multiple times at different angles because they wanted you to be disturbed/busy with the game/story and wouldn't notice/would rationalize it like that. Or maybe emaciated bodies all just start to look the same when you see them en masse.

Great pics, AITT, but really, now- this feels a bit like trolling.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
flipain
Just Passing Through

Post by flipain »

First of all... lazyness of the makers? are you kidding me? Do you really think the designers are going to design an unique human body for every dead person they are going to put in the game? It would be more stupid that create a unique model for every enemy. No game creator are going to create a frigging unique model for each character of a game, including enemies, and even background elements.

I have ever relationed the bodys with Eddy. I saw Eddy when I entered the prison. With a dead person, like the majority of the times I had met him. Later on I saw the bodies. I knew then that Eddy had been there, and that possibly I were going to face him soon.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Certainly, there's no profit in spending time to create individual models for the bodies. Could you imagine them spending ten whole minutes to make the handful of easy changes that could leave one model looking superficially different from anything else they used?

It still amazes me how people can go through a game with such tremendously rich detail in the environment and still automatically assume that reuse of a model, especially the already-simple ones shown above, is a sign of laziness.

Bear this in mind: The victims we see later, right before the fight with Eddie, are done up in James' likeness. They are monstrous forms wearing his outfit--jacket, jeans, shoes, all of it is the same. There are at least five of them, and though they are the same basic model, each is posed in a different way, and at least one has a unique wound.

What I'm wondering is not so much why this specific model is used in the Apartments, or insisting that it has any real connection to the similar-looking ones found in the Prison. I'm more curious as to why this victim model is different from the ones we see later. Since the others mimic James' appearance, does this one not because Eddie killed it before meeting James?

And, of course, why do the others mimic James?
flipain
Just Passing Through

Post by flipain »

The others mimic James because they are warning him about what has to come (his posibly suicide), and the white ones are different because represents the victims of Eddy, and are just scary looking (we are in Silent Hill) normal person corpses.

And, "Alone in the Town", I don´t know if you are being sarcastic with me about defending the designers in regards of using the same model, I expect no, because you uses to inspire respect for me, but you sure know what yo do.
And by the way, I still no see the point of designing diferent models, even changing little things (if you change only little things, no one is going to notice them anyway), in the fucking corpses of the background. Do you really think there are any differences betwen a SH1 dog and another? Betwen an Insane cancer and another? and they are enemies, something more important than a background element. Do you think for real that there are differences betwen an alien of certain type and another of the same type on an Halo game? No, there aren´t, and it would be stupid in the part of the designers, makin even the slightlest changes in ALL of the enemies you encounter, no need to say in every corpse you see in the background for the entire game. If it was so, even every sigle "hanged man" in SH1 should have noticeable differences form one to other.
alone in the town

flipain wrote:The others mimic James because they are warning him about what has to come (his posibly suicide), and the white ones are different because represents the victims of Eddy, and are just scary looking (we are in Silent Hill) normal person corpses.
Well, all of Eddie's victims resemble James, except for that first. I've always took it to be a reflection of Eddie's own words: "You've been making fun of me all along!"
And, "Alone in the Town", I don´t know if you are being sarcastic with me about defending the designers in regards of using the same model, I expect no, because you uses to inspire respect for me, but you sure know what yo do.
A little. It frustrates me to hear it so often.
And by the way, I still no see the point of designing diferent models, even changing little things (if you change only little things, no one is going to notice them anyway), in the fucking corpses of the background.

Having spent dozens of hours going through texture files used in the games, and seeing so many details that I never even came close to catching in the game itself, I am forced to conclude that the artists saw a point to designing many little details in the game most people will never catch, and the fact that most would never catch them was not deemed sufficient reason to not add them anyway.

The environmental details are so ridiculously varied that I simply do not accept that laziness is the only explanation for something being reused. Further, you're making a game which is already famous for its fans attributing meaning to such innocuous things, and I'm certain that was born in mind during the creation process.
Do you really think there are any differences betwen a SH1 dog and another? Betwen an Insane cancer and another? and they are enemies, something more important than a background element. Do you think for real that there are differences betwen an alien of certain type and another of the same type on an Halo game? No, there aren´t, and it would be stupid in the part of the designers, makin even the slightlest changes in ALL of the enemies you encounter, no need to say in every corpse you see in the background for the entire game. If it was so, even every sigle "hanged man" in SH1 should have noticeable differences form one to other.
There are two different dog models in the game, as well as air screamers and mumblers. The first two games also featured multiple nurse models. The third had varying sizes of Numb Bodies and two kinds of nurses with entirely different attacks and behaviors--a much more difficult task than changing a few textures around, which could be done in a matter of minutes. So, yeah.
flipain
Just Passing Through

Post by flipain »

Man, yeah, you have said that, there are two different model of dogs in SH1, two different dogs, that are different type of enemies, but you fight a lot of both types of dogs, and between all the "red dogs" you fight (for example) there isn't a single difference. Same with the other dogs, the wormy one, you fight various wormy dogs, but every single one of them are the same model. And yeah, there are multiple model for nurses, like, 2 or 3 maybe, but you fight a lot more, so they are reusing the models, what is pretty logic, they are not going to desing uniquely every single one nurse you face.

And about all the corpses in SH2 being victims of Eddy, I aren´t sure of that, you yourself said in other thread that the James clone dead in the couch in front of the tv is a reference to the fact that James can end commiting suicide, not another Eddy victim.

The white corpses represent Eddy's victims, this is, random human beings, why the fuck are they going to make a different model/skin for each of them, when they are trying to represent random normal dead humans that are part of the background.
alone in the town

The body found in front of the TV is an alteration of James' actual model. Eddie's victims are completely different models that merely resemble James' appearance.

I can get that the victims stuffed into the murder holes are all the same for a purpose. What I'm trying to get at is why that model was re-used to depict Eddie's first victim. After all, those lazy art designers went out of their way to create and decorate a murder scene for him, and unlike the monsters, which number in the dozens and therefore impractical to own individualized models, the victims are unique and only appear once.

The victims seen later share an appearance, and I'm convinced that's for a reason. I'm curious as to why this first victim does not share an appearance with the rest.
flipain
Just Passing Through

Post by flipain »

I strongly think that the corpses in the prison are Eddy's victims, like I have said:

I have ever relationed the bodys with Eddy. I saw Eddy when I entered the prison. With a dead person, like the majority of the times I had met him. Later on I saw the bodies. I knew then that Eddy had been there, and that possibly I were going to face him soon.

That would explain why they are all equal, they represent standard human corpses, killed by Eddy, and that would explain why the corpses in the prison, and in the refrigerator are the same model.

I don't remember the other clones of James presumably killed by Eddy... ah, yes, I remember the one in the prison where first met Eddy there, well then we have two types of Eddy's victmis, one type is similar to James, and the other type are the white guys, and the programmers have scattered one type or the other as they have been pleased.
lain of the wired

The corpses are Eddie's victims all throughout Eddie's "realm." They become more similar to James in appearance as he gets closer to his big conflict with Eddie because, as flipain is saying (I think, I'm having a bit of a time understanding some of it), James is becoming more conscious of his mortality as he becomes more aware of the danger he's in. The more aware of the mortal danger, the more he is conscious of his initial reason to come to SH, and the more he is reminded that he came here to die. If we assume the town manifests your desires, and James desires to die for what he's done, then it makes perfect sense that as he's made more aware of one desire over others, that's the desire that will be projected strongest. It's like telling someone "think of anything except a polar bear." Now all they can think of is the fucking polar bear! It's called priming, and it happens all the time. It also explains why, once he stops feeling any sort of guilt over what he's done, Eddie apparently sees SH like a carnival shooting gallery, with targets everywhere, and he's got unlimited ammo.

James encounters those holocaust corpses while he's still focused on why he came down there to begin with. We don't know what those things actually look like/are, which does present a weird sort of underlying hole in the explanation, I'll admit: if they ARE bodies, we don't know how they really look. They could be lumps of clay, or nothing at all. What we do know is that each person in SH seems to vaguely perceive what another sees, but they put their own spin on it. We don't know what Eddie sees these *things* as exactly, but it's fair to assume he sees them as corpses. So James (as he draws nearer to Eddie) is picking up on what Eddie sees, and so he sees corpses, as well. But it appears he just sees generic death. Why should his mind differentiate between them at this point? Corpses is corpses (and it's my understanding that they can't laugh).

Again, I reference this. That's a whole lotta generic death. Unless you're really, really looking, they really do look identical. Of course, you also have to sort of numb yourself against the emotions brought up by so much death if you're just trying to make a point using a picture of so many bodies, (or, say, get from point A to point B, like a certain someone?) which I know for a fact I'm experiencing as I write this post. Those pics aren't comfortable. In other words, he sees the bodies, he's trying not to focus on them, he's trying not to dwell on them, et voilà: we get generic death.
ss4gogeta0
Just Passing Through

Post by ss4gogeta0 »

what if they are actually images of people that james know?

also
what do ya think?
"Must one Born from Adam, Return to Adam?" - Kaowru Nagisa
"Come Adam's Dark Shadow, Searvent of the Lillim"- Kaowru Nagisa
alone in the town

> what do ya think?

What on earth does this have to do with this thread?

If you're trying to promote some game you're making, please don't impose yourself in unrelated threads.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

alone in the town wrote:
What on earth does this have to do with this thread?
It appears to be a Zelda style recreation of the scene which is the focus of this thread. I'm not quite sure why it's necessary but I guess it's related to the topic to some extent.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
alone in the town

I think he's promoting the online Silent Hill game thing he has in his signature, given that the character in the screenshot has a handle beneath the sprite.
Claudia
Just Passing Through

Post by Claudia »

Those pictures are funny, I don't know why I find humor in them. But I guess something is wrong with Eddie.
"I was supposed to kill you..."
lain of the wired

And you.

Wow. This thread just took such a left turn.
ss4gogeta0
Just Passing Through

Post by ss4gogeta0 »

alone in the town wrote:I think he's promoting the online Silent Hill game thing he has in his signature, given that the character in the screenshot has a handle beneath the sprite.
no i was just showing a recreation of the guy in the fridge that I did..
"Must one Born from Adam, Return to Adam?" - Kaowru Nagisa
"Come Adam's Dark Shadow, Searvent of the Lillim"- Kaowru Nagisa
SHF

Post by SHF »

alone in the town wrote:The body found in front of the TV is an alteration of James' actual model. Eddie's victims are completely different models that merely resemble James' appearance.

I can get that the victims stuffed into the murder holes are all the same for a purpose. What I'm trying to get at is why that model was re-used to depict Eddie's first victim. After all, those lazy art designers went out of their way to create and decorate a murder scene for him, and unlike the monsters, which number in the dozens and therefore impractical to own individualized models, the victims are unique and only appear once.

The victims seen later share an appearance, and I'm convinced that's for a reason. I'm curious as to why this first victim does not share an appearance with the rest.
My speculation is this:
The same model is used because we, for the first time, see Eddie begin to lose his sanity. ( I'm referring to the scene when Eddie brags about killing that guy in the cafeteria, but half heartedly denies it afterward)
The closer Eddie gets to losing his sanity, his mind, the more that bodies appear.
Metaphorically, at the same time James is descending into his mind to find the truth, Eddie is descending into madness.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]