Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 20 Jan 2021

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Mar 2007
Notes left: 541
Last seen at: South Carolina, USA
I've always seen the oddly placed one in the Maria Scenario, it struck me odd and freaked me out the first time I saw it... Now I don't really pay much attention to it lol.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: What up with the flying mannequins?

Missing since: 29 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2301
Last night, while i was walking through the town after leaving the hospital, i witness a mannequin falling from the sky onto the street. So it happens in other places than nathan avenue.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 05 Aug 2010
Notes left: 567
Last seen at: Nathan Ave.
I think they made it intentionally to freak you out. I'm not sure for the other places but I noticed they come right after you meet Maria, and she's like all over you, hitting on you, "I look like your wife, don't I..". I think James is HORNY, so I think they wanted to alter their appearence by throwing them of the sky.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 25 Oct 2010
Notes left: 24
Last seen at: Our special place~
I had this happen to me my first playthrough. I was running through the streets with Maria right behind me and the thing flew through the air all ninja style and I did that instant turn around thing, drew my gun and shot...Maria right in the head. I laughed. I laughed a lot.

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
mikefile wrote:
I think James is HORNY, so I think they wanted to alter their appearence by throwing them of the sky.

I'm sorry, but exactly how is horniness symbolized by things falling out of the sky?

I mean, besides the raining of men.

Gravedigger

well, the mannequins officially symbolize James' sexual desire.. I' m just saying.. they are popping out right after James see's Maria.

Missing since: 01 Feb 2004
Notes left: 3094
Last seen at: Deep Inside
The very first time I played SH2 that part totally creeped me out

RESPECT

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19452
Last seen at: #lfk
>well, the mannequins officially symbolize James' sexual desire..<
No they don't.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 28 Mar 2006
Notes left: 104
Anybody got a video of this ???

I haven't played SH2 in years, but I think this happen to me, I'm just not so sure.

Gravedigger

Missing since: 31 Aug 2010
Notes left: 467
Last seen at: Marioland
Here, at 2:10, 4:05 and 4:26 !

Gravedigger

The Adversary wrote:
>well, the mannequins officially symbolize James' sexual desire..<
No they don't.

http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Mannequin

http://www.translatedmemories.com/bookp ... eature.jpg

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 15 May 2008
Notes left: 1541
Last seen at: Right behind you
Wait. I can fix the Wiki. It incorrectly says the RPT is raping the Mannequins when it's obvious that nothing gets raped.

And here's the passage about the Mannequin:

Translated Memories wrote:
A manifestation of James' natuaral urges and inclinations. Accordingly, it is abused by Pyramid Head.
Natural urges and inclinations don't necessarily mean sex. Two pairs of fake legs could mean the urges to run away from the truth of what he did. The mannequin is the same whether it's upside down or not, possibly representing confusion, since you don't know which way is up. There are MANY different interpretations of the mannequin beast.

=====================================================

Gravedigger

Yes, and one of them, may possibly be the sexual urge that James feels towards Maria. + the explanation they start poppin' out after meeting Maria. Two pairs of legs may also represent the perfect woman James wants- two pairs of fake legs, nobody to yell and accuse you of anything, and when you're done with them you simply store them away and they won't move an inch. Why? 'Cause it's a mannequin.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

You actually start meeting them when you find the flashlight on the Mary Mannequin in the Apartments, before you ever get to the Rosewater Park. It is partially representative of all these things, I think. But given it's first appearance and the fact that it appears as soon as you grab the flashlight to me means it symbolizes running from the Mannequin (Mary) after taking the light (of life) from her.

Hope House Careworker

Missing since: 27 Nov 2009
Notes left: 698
Last seen at: Room 312
mikefile wrote:
Yes, and one of them, may possibly be the sexual urge that James feels towards Maria. + the explanation they start poppin' out after meeting Maria. Two pairs of legs may also represent the perfect woman James wants- two pairs of fake legs, nobody to yell and accuse you of anything, and when you're done with them you simply store them away and they won't move an inch. Why? 'Cause it's a mannequin.

That's the way i've seen it.
*High five*

RESPECT

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19452
Last seen at: #lfk
James seems more inclined toward violence than anything, if the r.p.t.'s actions are meant to be considered. James kills Mary. The r.p.t. kills mannequins. Thus, violence.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Gravedigger

To me they don' t represent James sexual desire, they represent his sexual frustration. For years (years ? months ?) all he could do with Mary is talk, and even then all he got in return for his kindness wasn' t sex, it was either bitterness or kindness. Let' s face it, most of us aren' t interested in a platonic relationship, not as a couple. This drove James mad and he ended up killing Mary. The mannequins are a physical manifestation of that fact. James killing Mary is a violent way to say "shut the fuck up, just smile and be pretty". To me James killing Mary is a metaphor for "la femme objet" (a French expression that can be translated as "the object woman", in other words a mannequin).

As for Phead he doesn' t rape the mannequins exactly, but well, it' s hard not to think "rape" when we see him, the wole thing is heavily suggested. It' s not like Konami could go all the way through and show Phead' s dick. Phead' s little "dance" with the mannequin is as close as they could get, same deal as the pumping pistons in Angela' s "father" room. All of this imagery reinforce the metaphor of Mary being a "femme objet".

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

But he was killing her as much out of pity for her suffering, and probably more so that than because she was being a bitch. Sure, lashing out at him probably helped him to a decision, but it's also a measure of how miserable she was that she'd lash out to begin with. Watching her suffer and waste away probably had more effect on him "going mad" than any amount of anger or sexual frustration.

Gravedigger

If it really was a mercy kill, euthanasia, then why the guilt ? You' re deluding yourself as much as James did ! ^^
Why does Phead carry a BIG sword around ? In the paintings depicting him he' s only portrayed carrying spears. You know what that BIIIG sword stands for, don' t you ? Why the flesh lip monster design ? Because Mary was stuck in her sickbed ? Right, "stuck" ! Why the slightly more slutty Maria ? Et caetera, et caetera ...

Yes, James felt pity for Mary, he wasn' t an abusive husband, but his murder WASN' T a deeply thought through act of mercy, it was an impulsive act of frustration, the game story is pretty clear about that and the whole design goes accordingly.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

You think you wouldn't feel guilt, even over a mercy killing? That's laughable. Maybe you wouldn't, but even trained police sometimes feel guilt over killing a person who tried to kill them. to the point that they change occupations or kill themselves. And if the game was trying to be so obtuse in forcing sexual imagery into everything, then why is it not so "obvious" to a lot of us. Yes, there are sexual undertones with a lot of the symbolism, but it is far from a predominant trait of most of the world in most cases. Some things do directly represent sexual frustration. But to try and put it on everything you see is simply what you want to see.

Maria being a little slutty had as much to do with Mary wishing she was able to give James what he wanted as much as she was a sexualized version of Mary. She was a combination of what they both thought James wanted, but that somehow wasn't quite right, and that is reflected in James' unwillingness to accept her for what she is. He wants to be close to her, but never lets himself get there before the RPT kills her. Repeatedly. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just pointing out that what you think you see isn't the only way it can be seen.