Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 05 Dec 2020

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: Coins in the BlueCreek Apts...[SPOILERS]

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 490
Well, to add to the random shot in the dark, we do have a vague correlation to the Old Man potentially relating to Angela's father. In our beginning introduction to Angela, we find her in a graveyard.

And what's on the back of the Old Man's coin? A gravestone.

Additionally, Angela seems to be the one who s resigned to her fate; she's not interested in attrition, and she isn't seeking redemption. Since the Old Man's lusts and wants have faded, this in a way is kind of like Angela.

Though how in loving hell Eddie is related to the Snake and its crescent moon is beyond me.

Historical Society Historian

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Snake = He fucking lies all the time and is generally a slime ball.

Crescent moon = His big round ass.

RESPECT

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19441
Last seen at: #lfk
Like coins in the hazy aether tossed, our souls must, by their sinful weight, descend to earth with lightness lost to "right" the sins that they hath laid. When thrice in falling they intone, the Happiness shall be thy own.

The first note be not by the Horned One rung, though it be there that all sins be sprung. The Bringer of Life and the Bringer of Shame—the sins of the latter be even more tame, though coming in the Aged One's wake, the Formless One's soul in fear doth quake. The Needless One, silent, with hungers all sated, is least then in sin with his lusts all abated. For the gravest of sinners, his place be appointed, and, if he be lucky, may his soul be anointed.

The Horned One, the Bringer of Shame, and the Formless One are the snake. The Bringer of Life is the prisoner. The Aged One is the old man.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Inb4 Needless One = Laura

Subway Guard

Missing since: 20 Jun 2010
Notes left: 1627
The Adversary wrote:
Like coins in the hazy aether tossed, our souls must, by their sinful weight, descend to earth with lightness lost to "right" the sins that they hath laid. When thrice in falling they intone, the Happiness shall be thy own.

The first note be not by the Horned One rung, though it be there that all sins be sprung. The Bringer of Life and the Bringer of Shame—the sins of the latter be even more tame, though coming in the Aged One's wake, the Formless One's soul in fear doth quake. The Needless One, silent, with hungers all sated, is least then in sin with his lusts all abated. For the gravest of sinners, his place be appointed, and, if he be lucky, may his soul be anointed.

The Horned One, the Bringer of Shame, and the Formless One are the snake. The Bringer of Life is the prisoner. The Aged One is the old man.

Seeing as the Prisoner coin represents Mary (reasons why have already been mentioned), I'm thinking that all the coins might represent all the victims.
Perhaps the Old Man coin is supposed to represent Angela's father (I can't remember his name). "...with his lusts all abated." As mentioned in other threads, there was an interview with...I forget his name, but he worked on the story for SH2, and confirmed that Angela was sexually abused. Now that her father is dead, he would no longer have any sexual desires, hence, in my mind at least, the "lusts all abated" line.
Now, assuming I'm on the right track and didn't completely misinterpret the riddle (which is very likely), that could mean the Snake coin could represent Eddie's victim. How or why I can't really convey at the moment (need more time to think).

Missing since: 29 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2301
The Adversary wrote:

where did you get this from

Missing since: 27 Jul 2009
Notes left: 3535
Hard mode?

RESPECT

>Seeing as the Prisoner coin represents Mary<
Mary isn't a sinner, though, and all of the coins represent sinners. Therefore, that interpretation doesn't really work.

>where did you get this from<
Extra Hard riddle mode

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 25 Jul 2010
Notes left: 293
Last seen at: Fiji
Maybe it describes Angela's crime? Angela being the Prisoner, her Father being the Old Man and the Snake(Formless One) being Angela's mother ("...the sins of the latter be even more tame, though coming in the Aged One's wake, the Formless One's soul in fear doth quake..." ---> Angela's mother, although knowing what was happening, never spoke, because she was afraid of her husband's reaction).

Last edited by Joseph on 11 Aug 2010, edited 1 time in total.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 15 May 2008
Notes left: 1541
Last seen at: Right behind you
Or maybe we're just looking for answers where there are no answers to be found.

=====================================================

Cafe5to2 Waitress

^I don't think they really just put some random coins. It's not the style of the game.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Actually, look at it. The puzzle doesn't have to relate to anything particularly. Look at the Hangman's puzzle. Unless you want to really stretch and say all of the criminals (and one innocent) relate directly to the main cast... Or the face cube puzzle, or the clock puzzle. What about the wallet and the safe? The locks on the lockbox in the hospital? The music box puzzle? None of these have any REAL relevance or reference to the main characters.

The only puzzle that one could really draw a line on is the tablets, and possibly the coins.

But again, if it's such a stretch, why force it?

RESPECT

The music boxes have to do w/ the characters. The tablets officially do, too.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

I said the Tablets. And I haven't seen anything on the music boxes, and honestly, I don't remember much about them, so I'll concede that point. It still doesn't change the fact that there are far more puzzles without any significant relationship to the main cast than there are with. Meaning that there doesn't HAVE to be a connection, rather people prefer to stretch and make one. Not that it's a bad thing, I just find this kind of theorizing tiresome.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

I honestly believe the coins' puzzle has something to do with Angela's story. I don't think it's pure coincidence that you finally solve the puzzle after you meet her at the apartment.
And yes, puzzles like the face cube or the clock riddle have nothing to do with the story, but I don't think they just randomly composed a poem (which, by the way, matches exactly the past of a character our hero has just met) just for the sake of it.

Missing since: 27 Jul 2009
Notes left: 3535
The Needless One, silent, with hungers all sated, is least then in sin with his lusts all abated. For the gravest of sinners, his place be appointed, and, if he be lucky, may his soul be anointed.

They're talking about James. His hungers are satisfied. If he's lucky, he'll be forgiven, (Leave ending). His sin is the least great because he did it out of love for his wife.

The first note be not by the Horned One rung, though it be there that all sins be sprung.

Adam and eve. The first note (sin) was not performed by the Horned One (devil/snake), though all sins emerged from there. The real sin in Angela's scenario was her murdering her father, but before that, he abused her in some way (Snake/devil persuading Eve to eat the apple). From there, all sins emerged (Angela killing her father).

he Bringer of Life and the Bringer of Shame—the sins of the latter be even more tame.

Hm. This one is tricky. The bringer of life, in a biblical sense, is God. The bringer of shame, the Devil. The sins of the latter (devil) even more tame. The Devil doesn't commit any sin, though he causes others to. "Others" being from God, not from the Devil, making God's creations the ones with real sin in their hearts. Eddie's bully (lol) was the Devil (METAPHORICALLY), causing God's creation (Eddie) to sin, much like Angela's scenario.

That's how I see it. I don't see that as a coincedence.

RESPECT

>I said the Tablets<
I know. I was simply reiterating the fact. I also don't necessarily disagree w/ you in this instance.

>They're talking about James. His hungers are satisfied.<
James didn't "hunger" to kill Mary.

>The bringer of life, in a biblical sense, is God. The bringer of shame, the Devil<
The bringer of life, in the context of the poem, is clearly the prisoner. Deviation from that, then, doesn't work w/ what the poem is presenting.

>The Devil doesn't commit any sin, though he causes others to.<
Turning your back to G-d is, in Judeo-Christianity, a sin.

Attempting to write an explanation to the coins in regards to the triad has always been tenuous at best. I don't think that's going to change.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Missing since: 29 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2301
The Adversary wrote:
The music boxes have to do w/ the characters. The tablets officially do, too.

do you agree that the three patients memos in brookhaven are actually releveant to the james, angela, and eddie?

OR all three of them are relevant to James only.