Eddie Dombrowski R.I.P

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

NotTomorrow98
Just Passing Through

Eddie Dombrowski R.I.P

Post by NotTomorrow98 »

The story of Silent Hill 2 didn't delve too deeply into Eddie Dombrowski's past, or his story wasn't as emotional as James's story. All in all, he was just a lazy bum, a smartass, and well a little crazy in the head. (So were the other characters in the game.) But all contradictions aside, I kind of felt sorry for the big fellow when James killed him. He got dragged into Silent Hill just like James and Angela, but like Angela, (and James if you got something other than the Leaving Ending or the Maria Ending) he didn't have the will to survive or accept what happened, so he died.

My point is, I'd like to hear other Silent Hill fan opinions on Eddie Dombrowski. Did you feel sorry for him when he died? Did you hate him? Or just don't care?

I mean, not many people mention him when the subject of Silent Hill 2 comes up. You gotta feel a little bad for him, I mean, his first scene in the whole game is him puking into one of Silent Hill 2's infamous toilets.
"So you'll open the door?
I'm just sure that there'll
Be nothing beyond it but
frightening peril.
Forget about that!
Just stay and play!
Or else I'll be left
here alone all day."

--- Alessa (Silent Hill 3) ---
The Adversary
RESPECT

Re: Eddie Dombrowski R.I.P

Post by The Adversary »

He's an auxiliary character whose main purpose in the game is to further elucidate the ways in which Silent Hill operates. That's about as much as I've ever considered him.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
CerealKiller
Just Passing Through

Post by CerealKiller »

I kind of did feel sorry for him. He was mentally unstable and deserved more scenes in the game.
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

I didn't feel sorry for him, at all. He deserved what he got.
But don't get me wrong, as a character he was really interesting.
We are still here...
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

His voice actor made me love his character. The delivery of some of his lines were great, hahaha!
Other than that, I didn't really like or hate him.
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

Like Adversary said, he's just a secondary character. They didn't explain much about Laura either.
Xev

Post by Xev »

Eddie is one of those characters that might not necessarily have a whole lot explained about the background, but you can read into his personality a bit.

Sympathy might be directed towards his being picked on constantly and maybe he had a hard childhood but hey, millions of folks do and they do not kill people or animals.
Maybe his mom coddled him too much and therefore he was unprepared to meet the harsh world and its hurtful comments.

Maybe still he has a mental deficiency that made him a target and made him break down and go nuts. Either way his story was to end in Silent Hill. I cant fathom him receiving more knowledge than he already has about his situation like James does. I see his character as kind of static. I had heaps more sympathy for Angela, who is one of the most interesting characters in the whole series.
Violent Corpse
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Violent Corpse »

He gave me some good laughs. It'd have been mean of me, had I not felt bad for the poor fellow.
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Yoshata »

Last edited by Yoshata on 14 Nov 2017, edited 1 time in total.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Who cares? He was deliberately constructed as an unlikable jackass.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

I felt bad for him, nothing excuses his actions. It's too bad he couldn't redeem himself, but frankly, it doesn't seem like he'd be much of anything even if he had survived.
CerealKiller
Just Passing Through

Post by CerealKiller »

Nah I hate him now, i just remembered he shot a dog. I can forgive him if he just shot humans. (Animal activist here :wink: )
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Eddie and Angela served as a sort of side commentary for James in my mind. (Well, commentary for gender issues as well, but I'm not gonna delve into that in this thread.)

Liking or disliking either of them never occurred to me. They were just a part of James's story, and I thought they were the perfect minor characters for SH2.
Now that I'm thinking about, I can say that I only felt as bad for Eddie as he deserved. He was a disturbed and persecuted individual, but that didn't excuse his actions.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Sympathy might be directed towards his being picked on constantly and maybe he had a hard childhood but hey, millions of folks do and they do not kill people or animals.
Wise words.

Eddie lost his "honor" when he murdered the dog (if he had a problem with the person then why he didn't shot that damn person? The dog didn't had anything to do with his madness) and then became more and more "dishonored" when he started killing random people that had nothing to do with him. He had mental problems but eventually became a psycopath, he killed everyone but the ones that made him all nuts, what a chump.

That said, I don't feel sorry for him. Only to a small degree (before he started this whole mess, for example).
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Angela has just as much limited backstory as Eddie. They were just in the game to give the player a chance to see the town from others' points of view, even if just a little. If his or her backstory was revealed more, then they wouldn't really be supporting characters. They would just be other protagonists/antiheroes.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

AuraTwilight wrote:Who cares? He was deliberately constructed as an unlikable jackass.

This!!.....eddie sounded like a big doofus from the jump.....he reminded me of this kid i knew back in high school that always asked for candy...one day we gave his a$$ a pack of ex-lax and watched him have the s**ts all day long....8)...a few of us got sent to the principle's office for that tho.... :lol:
pugiofidei
Just Passing Through

Post by pugiofidei »

Eddie is an instance of a failed human life. This, in my thinking, is the greatest tragedy that earth can produce. I felt sorry for him; he despaired in the face of his own broken pride and blind anger. What a horrible state to die in! I wish the game offered some means of pulling the supporting characters out of their respective nightmares; Angela and Eddie, it seemed to me, needed only for someone to be genuinely human towards them.
Give me liberty or give me...well, no, there are no other options. None that I would accept, anyway.
jeremyjh
Just Passing Through

Post by jeremyjh »

Eddie Delivered a quick scare and a seance of eeriness in 2 parts of the game as you can tell they didn't give much about his character because he was EASY as hell to beat but to me he kinda symbolized James Sorrow because deep down he knew what he did at least that how I like to think of it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jeremyjh13? ... BjX2Y0gNrc- Survival Horror Game Library
ss4gogeta0
Just Passing Through

Post by ss4gogeta0 »

he reminds me of myself in a way..
"Must one Born from Adam, Return to Adam?" - Kaowru Nagisa
"Come Adam's Dark Shadow, Searvent of the Lillim"- Kaowru Nagisa
Secretions
Just Passing Through

Post by Secretions »

ss4gogeta0 wrote:he reminds me of myself in a way..
Just don't kill anything furry and cute that isn't evil and trying to kill you. ^_^

(And no, cats don't count. :p)