What mary is really saying [contains spoiler]

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Re: What mary is really saying [contains spoiler]

Post by alone in the town »

Nor does he require them. Though most people don't bother going through all the steps after playing more than once, a few moments of exploring will likely find you in the Motorhome, in which is a note telling you to go to Neely's Bar. Neely's Bar has a map which points out the location of the Apartment Key, and from there, the destination is obvious.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

alone in the town wrote:What I mean to say is that I don't recognize the apparent logic of your conclusion.
The content of the static is: "Come to.................s.....". There are 3 facts to be considered:
1) Silent Hill 2 novel: the novelization of SH2 is a reliable source, neverless being done after the game. It is obivously in accordance to the game. The novel part sais: "Come to .... ........Wo......si..........ments", which obivously means: "Come to Woodside Apartments". As I said before the novel is bounded to the game, so the general content should be the same. In the game's statics we hear: "Come to.................s.....". The "Come to" is present in both parts.
2) Woodside apartments: James, after that, visits a series of short locations, which purpose is to lead him to the Woodside apt.- the locations in which he detains himself for the longest time. Moreover, mostly.. all of the other locations during the game are of high importance: Rosewater park- the location in which he and Mary used to spend time, Brookhaven Hospital- the hospital in which Mary was bedridden, the Abyss- James moving deeper inside his sin, the Lakeview Hotel- their "special place"; all together.. making it necessary for his subconscious (Mary's voice) to indicate him this specific building.
3) And then, in the end, if you want.. we have this almost insignificant little letter: "s", which apparently shouldn't be neither considerated as a fact. However, if there was all it, the insignifacant letter wouldn't imply such thing.. but since we've got other facts, we can considerate it as a part of the unit. So, we can conclude that the letter "s" most likely belongs to the word "apartments" or "Woodside".
Aerith Gainsborough wrote:
Biccard wrote: Here you go, exactly the way it goes.

1) The static after the first fight:
"A........................I'm..............e...Come to .... ........Wo......si..........ments...................hing f................id you k.......... Jam................"
"Apartments....I'm there....Come to me, James...Woodside Apartments.....There's something forgotten...Why did you kill me, James?" Perhaps?
Firstly, I said that. Secondly, Mary would rather say "I'm here" than "I'm there". It's the most famous quote for a reason. And last, it is "Come to Woodside apartments"- Mary is an articulated person...XD
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

^Oh! Sorry AITT. :P Haha, at first I put, 'Come to Woodside apartments', but after seeing the first post, I figured that most of that dialogue could fit in there. I figured it would be 'there', since she's talking about a place that James is currently not at. I don't know, I just feel an irking in my little brain when I tried to put, 'I'm here.' Hey! Mary has the right to speak with incompetence...she's dead! Everyone knows that when you're dead you get more rights.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Lady-ducky
Just Passing Through

Post by Lady-ducky »

To clarify, in the novel James doesn't actually hear "Woodside Apartments". He just barely makes out the word "apartment" which leads him to conclude that Mary's there. He wanders around town looking for any apartment building, and he ends up pretty much stumbling across Woodside by chance after he's attacked by a group of lying figures.

According to a game script, this is Mary's message from the game:

Ja………………………I’m………..e…Come to……………………………..s…….………………………..hing f……………..
………………………….id you k…………Jam……………

I would guess that she's saying the same thing though.
ImageImage
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I think her mentioning of Wood Side Apartments in the novel is artistic license, helping the author avoid having to contrive with a less direct method for James to figure out that's where he has to go. I can definitely appreciate it.
He wanders around town looking for any apartment building, and he ends up pretty much stumbling across Woodside by chance after he's attacked by a group of lying figures.
That's pretty funny, because when I novelized the game, I used that exact same situation to force him inside the apartments.

I don't think she's saying it in the game, though, if for no other reason than that it would be completely useless non-information. I doubt a single person ever listened to her garbled message the first time they played and thought "OH SHIT, I KNOW WHERE I HAVE TO GO NOW". Since that part of her message contains only a single letter and no useful context, it seems kind of silly to insist that, in the game, she is telling James to come to Wood Side... especially since it implies that she's there, and of course, she isn't. That part of her message could literally be anything containing a word with the letter 's', one of the language's most common letters.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

Lady-ducky wrote:To clarify, in the novel James doesn't actually hear "Woodside Apartments". He just barely makes out the word "apartment" which leads him to conclude that Mary's there.
+ "Wo......si..........", which is obvious that Mary is talking about the Woodside apt.
Aerith Gainsborough wrote:I figured it would be 'there', since she's talking about a place that James is currently not at. I don't know, I just feel an irking in my little brain when I tried to put, 'I'm here.'
"I'm here.. " is a very important quote in Silent Hill 2, and one of the best that the fans just love. "I'm here and waiting for you" does not mean she is in the apartments, nor in the Rosewater park, nor inside the room 312. Tell me, do you find her in any of those places?
She tells him that because she is actually right HERE.. in his mind. Nowhere else and she is waiting for him to realize it.. That's what makes this quote so fucking awesome.
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

^Or the fact that by telling someone that they are at 'here' at a location makes one want to immediately come there in hopes that that person is there?
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

^ But who's making who thinking that the person is there? In other words, you are saying that the subconscious James is making real James come to that place in hopes that the person is there? If that's what your point then your theory does not contradict mine: Mary (subconscious James) is saying "I'm here" because she is right here, in his mind and she want's him to find her, due to the fact he lost his mind by rejecting the truth.
trai has cake
Just Passing Through

Post by trai has cake »

now i'll have to go and replay I was debating on which one I wanted to do but it's clear that I'll have to replay it now just for that point