Leave 44%  44%  [ 41 ]
In Water 27%  27%  [ 25 ]
Maria 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Rebirth 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
UFO 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
DOG 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 94

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject: Re: Your favorite ending and why.

Missing since: 18 Feb 2008
Notes left: 310
Last seen at: A physiatric ward
I don't think it would be as straightforward as that, this is Silent Hill after all. The Mary he would get back wouldn't be the same Mary that died. And i can't imagine him being able to return to the real world with the doppelganger.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 12 Jan 2015
Notes left: 120
Last seen at: Pennsylvania
^

That's a good point, I didn't think of that..

Of course if we assume that the Rebirth ritual plays out similar to the Ritual of the Holy Assumption that Walter Sullivan performed, then I would agree with you it wouldn't really be Mary that is resurrected, but just a doppleganger, or even a manifestation ( i don't mean Maria)

I can only guess that the resurrected Mary would be her real self.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 18 Oct 2014
Notes left: 12
Last seen at: Argentina.
To me In Water is my favorite ending, is where somehow I can understand James and relate to him even more. After all he went through, it's like the only possible ending after such personal hell.

The others endings are also good, with the exception of the 'funny endings" which I never liked them.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 22 Sep 2014
Notes left: 348
Last seen at: Kent (England)
I like that SH2 doesn't really have a "canon" ending per se, as we do not get a follow on and any of the non joke endings could feasibly be canon. For me the in water ending is the most realistic human reaction for James.

The leave, Maria and Rebirth endings are less likely as: 1) They are happier endings and I don't think SH2 cries out for a happy ending.

And 2)
[Reveal] Spoiler:
We learn in SH4 that James has been missing for some time

SH1 has a canon ending as we know from SH3.

But there is no official canon ending to SH2 or we'd know by now.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 18 Oct 2014
Notes left: 12
Last seen at: Argentina.
Its Gone Now wrote:
For me the in water ending is the most realistic human reaction for James.

The leave, Maria and Rebirth endings are less likely as: 1) They are happier endings and I don't think SH2 cries out for a happy ending.

Exactly what I've always thought regarding the In Water ending, is the most realistic of all possible endings, after having gone through all this hell with James and even before the end, if you wonder: How can finish this story after of all this? And the answer is almost certain that will be as it was the In Water ending.

And there is great truth in what you say, well... at least I agree, the other ending are "more happier" to put it in some way, and I don't think in any way Sh2 need an ending in that direction.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1299
I don't dislike "In-Water" because it's realistic or unrealistic. I dislike it because it makes everything James did pointless.

My Bestsellers Clerk

Missing since: 22 Sep 2014
Notes left: 348
Last seen at: Kent (England)
Oddish wrote:
I don't dislike "In-Water" because it's realistic or unrealistic. I dislike it because it makes everything James did pointless.

I often feel like that when the protag or certain characters are killed. But that's life I guess. Sometimes even our best efforts are futile from the start. Whether the town is punishing him or he is doing it to himself, futility is kind of the whole point.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 04 May 2007
Notes left: 60
Last seen at: Charlotte
For me it is the In Water ending.

Which is odd to say because on my first play through this was the first ending that I got and I felt betrayed!! It was such a downer ending that through all the strife and suffering with James' journey it was such a heavy and abysmal conclusion to my 15 hour play through.

But as I found out there were options to my ending that would satisfy me more than the empty feeling left over from In Water, I retried the journey and knew the new quirks to avoid the demise of James.

So when I got Leave, Rebirth and Maria it just didn't leave that smack in the face impression of "wait what the fuck?" that the In Water had left on me.
For such a dark and brooding gaming experience I would feel cheated if In Water were the only ending. But knowing you can have multiple endings made the In Water ending stand out more than the others. I like knowing i can leave town with either Laura or Maria (even Mary although its implied).

Knowing all of this I wouldn't like In Water it as much as i do if this was the only ending to SH2.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 03 Jan 2005
Notes left: 4656
Last seen at: Colorado
It looks like I never posted in here... probably because I can't vote for just one. I love the Rebirth ending, and the sap in me loves the Leave ending too.

I love that Rebirth is, at least to me, both a morbid and a happy ending (happy since he'll get Mary back, and morbid because, well, she's coming back from the dead), and it leaves you to wonder exactly what potentially eerie thing results from the ritual. We can only imagine what undead Mary was like.

Well, I think I'll actually finally go ahead and vote. I think Rebirth wins.

Maria Ending would be next on my list after Rebirth and Leave (the ironic twist in Maria makes it also a delightful ending).
In Water just pisses me off.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 17 Jan 2016
Notes left: 8
Last seen at: Canada
I like all the endings, but Leave is my favorite. For me, it just feels like the best way to end the story.

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
With a few years' distance put between me and the issue, I find it kind of weird now that I ever had a preference.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 25 Jul 2012
Notes left: 28
Why do you say that?

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Because I now understand that all four endings are actually very brilliant and they all work together in a million different ways to bring meaning and understanding to so much of what happens in the game. To pick one and say "this is the best" is fight I used to pick, but none of them make sense without the others, and none of them do a better job than the others of capturing the feel of the game or the essence of the characters. I feel that any assertion to the contrary can be cured by simply looking harder and opening one's mind.

When I realized that it was absolutely possible to interpret each ending in very different ways without in any way contradicting canon, when I realized (specifically) that the Leave ending is a perfectly reasonable outcome for James if he is a completely heartless sociopath, I stopped having a favorite and fell in love with the game even more.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 03 Jan 2005
Notes left: 4656
Last seen at: Colorado
^It's possible to understand all that, though, and still have a personal preference for which ending we enjoy the most/how we would like to see things turn out. I think when most of us list favorites or say which one is "best," that's all we mean.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 07 Feb 2010
Notes left: 10
For me is In Water.

Because is the only ending that makes real sense to the game, for me.

Once, one of the developers of the game said that "Mary's body was in James car".

And, in game, we get countless references that the ''letter from Mary" that James got never existed after all.

Like, after you kill Eddie, if you check your letter, you just see a blank piece of paper, without words... and after that, it disappears...

For me, Mary died few days after James went to Silent Hill. Then, James couldn't live with that, and went to the city to die with Mary in the lake. But, when he got there, he got his memories blocked by the city, and the plot made him remember what he did.

For me, that's why I prefer the In Water ending. It feels more realistic to James fate.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 26 Mar 2008
Notes left: 79
Last seen at: At a champagne jam.
I like the dog ending for sheer madness and shibe puppers. Plus I worked for it. But as far as *plausible* endings go, I'd say Leave. I got way too attached to James and In Water makes me cry. It was the first ending I got and I just sat in front of my tv like D: I was so upset I did all that for nothing. Like, 'James, you quitter!'

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 30 Jan 2011
Notes left: 250
Last seen at: Gnashville, TN
TenderMercy wrote:
In Water makes me cry[...]I did all that for nothing.

I think that's what I like about In Water, though. It refuses to play to the happy ending trope, because James is not a hero. It provides a sort of twisted catharsis. That said, I think Rebirth is my preferred ending. I like my Silent Hill to be a bit ambiguous, and it doesn't get more ambiguous than that. Hell, it's still a debated topic to this day.