Your favorite ending and why.

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Your favorite?

Leave
41%
In Water
30%
Maria
7%
Rebirth
15%
UFO
No votes
DOG
8%

Total votes: 105

PromiseMe
Just Passing Through

Re: Your favorite ending and why.

Post by PromiseMe »

I like the Leave ending because I got this ending first, and I like the thought that Mary fogives James and James finally forgives himself and moves on and lives his life because thats what Mary wanted. I also like to imagine that he adopts Laura and they live together with their memories of their good times with Mary. I like that, I also found out when I got the guide later on that this ending is the hardest ending to get, is it really? You have to not look at the knife ever or read the letter too many times and some other stuff. I dont' think I ever looked at the knife the first time, I was to busy exploring silent Hill I guess to really stop and look at it.
You shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!!!!
EndlessDark
Just Passing Through

Post by EndlessDark »

I love the Rebirth ending. I'd love to have seen it go further though with him actually doing the ritual. I wonder what Zombie Mary would be like?
Lawlzy
Just Passing Through

Post by Lawlzy »

My favorite is Leave as well, for the same reasons you listed. He spent the whole game slowly realizing what he did, running from it even. In the end, he came to terms with Mary and his nightmare was over, that's what I enjoyed about it.

I really like the Dog ending though... haha. :)
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

I agree with VIVIsect about Leave.

"Leave" was the first ending I got (like 95% of the players) but it's not my favorite. I just can't believe Laura would accept to stay with James, together and etc. He murdered her "mother" for fucking sakes. . .

Another ending that is interesting is the "Maria" one. It's like James is trapped in an endless loop.

The "Rebirth" ending can cause a lot of "what ifs".
What if James ressurrected Mary but she came back to life with her illness?
Maybe the ritual never worked?
Maybe it worked and they're living their life, happy. (Or not).
And if it indeed worked how James would explain to everyone that Mary's illness vanished? It was what, a miracle?

A lot of assumptions with this one.

And with the "In Water" you can clearly see that it all ends with a big impact (that was meant to happen since James arrived in town) and no more questions appear.

So yeah, my favorite ending is "The Dog".

Seriously though, I don't have any favorites.
All of them fits with the story. It's just that "X Ending" makes less sense than "Z". Or "Y" makes more sense than "W".

Or it's just a matter of personal taste. Pick one.
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

I have to say rebirth, it inspires hope, and leaves you hanging.
Basically let's the player think for themselves, does ressurection really work or is it simple, empty hope?
Jagerdu
Just Passing Through

Post by Jagerdu »

The In Water ending to me was the best ending. I liked how it showed James's suicidal side. I just love the sound of the car speeding up, then suddenly stopping and ending with the sound of bubbles in water. I smile every time I get that ending. But currently I'm trying to get every ending, but the In Water will always be my favorite. 8)
RMOB
Just Passing Through

Post by RMOB »

I choose the Leave.
It was the first I acquired, and close all the points of the plot perfectly.
On the others endings, Laura stay in the limbo.
(Think on the little child, nobody think on the little children)
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. "
-Marcus Aurelius
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

The three main endings are kind of equal facets of the SH2 reality. But i suppose it's Leave. It's... pointful.
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
Sheepy-Mareep
Just Passing Through

Post by Sheepy-Mareep »

I like the leave ending. Reason 1 was because it was my first ending I ever got. Reason 2 is because I like the meaning. Mary forgives James for what he did and tells him to go on and live his life without her. He does so by adopting the young girl who was Maria's friend and living a new life raising his 'daughter' who knew Mary.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I am pretty shocked that Leave is winning this poll. I've always been a partisan but I also assumed it was a minority opinion.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

^Who knew that there were so many optimists among the SH fan community?
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

QUOTE: I could almost, almost go with the Leave ending, if it didn't involve Laura. In tacking her on at the end, it becomes a half-assed "...and they all lived happily ever after" cliché.

It's impossible for me to accept that Laura would leave with James, under any circumstances. Whatever connection those two had was permanently severed the moment James confessed to her, and she stepped out of that hotel room.

The Leave Ending is very much open to interpretation. All we see is Laura leaving Silent Hill and vanishing into the mist, then James following some distance behind her. All we can presume is that Laura has finished her business in Silent Hill. James, likewise, has finished his. They're moving on with their lives. And within that context, there are three very distinct possibilities:

1. :( Laura is still angry with James and has no intention of going anywhere with him. They are leaving in the same direction and at a similar time, but they are not together.
2. :| Laura and James are leaving town together. James, out of respect for Mary's memory, will get Laura back to the proper authorities, who will return her home (given the reference to "the sisters", she probably lives in a Catholic-run orphanage or hospital).
3. :) Laura and James have made peace, and James intends to adopt her and raise her as his own.

The reason that the third school of thought is so prevalent is that "Leave" appeals most to the people who prefer happy endings. And it's the happiest possibility: James finds redemption, Laura has a family.

What we don't know is what happened to Laura between the time she smacked James and left and the time we see her proceeding ahead of James. It is commonly believed (by me among others) that she saw Mary herself. Mary told her how much she loved her, but also how much James did, and how much her suffering hurt him. They said their good-byes, and Laura was able to reconcile with James. Here's one writer's take on what happened: http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16275

It is also possible that she did not see Mary, but that James found her later, chased her down, and spoke to her on his own. I expect he would have had to hold her still to get her to listen, though, at least at first. If Laura did not see Many, I would say that it's a toss-up between Possibilities 1 and 2. If she did not get the truth from Mary's own mouth, Laura would want nothing more to do with James. She might accept a ride from him because she had no other option, but that's all.

If Laura DID see Mary, then it's between Possibilities 2 and 3. Mary would not want Laura wandering around on her own, that's how little girls wind up in shallow graves. James might merely take Laura to safety. Or, their shared grief and love for Mary might lead to understanding, and eventually affection.

I am personally of the belief that Laura did indeed see Mary, and Mary told her to go with James. However, the two had no real connection, so James merely delivered Laura into the right hands. Then, the two went their seperate ways with some relief. Within the realm of what we see in the Leave ending (and what we know of the characters), it makes the most sense.

Concerning "In Water", I freaking hate that ending. If James wanted to die so darn bad, why struggle, fight all those monsters, even kill Eddie to stay alive? "Maria" is nearly as grim and depressing. Some people like that sort of thing. I don't. I'm the kind of guy wou'd have liked "Romeo and Juliet" much better if the two lovers had connected successfully, slipped off to another town, and had eleven kids together.

As for "Rebirth", I think that whatever happens, it's going to be the worst ending of all. Pagan deities, demons, old gods, whatever you want to call them... they charge a high price for their services.

So even though I don't think James adopts Laura, I am still of the mind that the Leave ending is the best by a long shot. James is emotionally shattered, maybe scarred for life, but he leaves town with his life, sanity, and soul intact. In Slent Hill, that's the best you can hope for.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
pyramidfred633
Just Passing Through

Post by pyramidfred633 »

I chose the in water ending. I think it was the one the story pointed to most. Like the hanging man puzzle, when he pulls that noose he looks like he's sizeing it up for himself.
Just because im paranoid doesnt mean people arent trying to kill me
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

Leave. I was also pleasantly surprised In Water wasn't more popular. But why is Rebirth so high in the poll? Is it because of Thomas's thread?
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

Different strokes, I guess. I'm kind of surprised that as many people voted for "Maria" as did. I just don't get what anyone sees in that ending.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Lucignolo
Just Passing Through

Post by Lucignolo »

The DOG ending...was insane!
wonder's boy

Post by wonder's boy »

Oddish wrote:Different strokes, I guess. I'm kind of surprised that as many people voted for "Maria" as did. I just don't get what anyone sees in that ending.
I guess it could be that people sometimes like seeing these tragic characters that force themselves back into the situation that prompted them to start their journey in the first place. The hint that Maria would fall (her coughing and such), and probably in the same way Mary did, had a nice impact on me the first time I experienced it. It brought up the themes of learning from one's past, and just what the potential is if one doesn't.

Every ending did a good job at defining James' character differently, and while the Maria ending wasn't my favorite by any means, it did a good job of portraying him as a someone half willing to move on (with Maria, that is) but still trapped in his muck (unable to find solace or independence in himself).
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
0uiled
Just Passing Through

Post by 0uiled »

I like the Leave ending but I got the In Water ending when I first played.
I mean why would he leave Laura by herself. unless she's back in the real world.
Also James told Angela that he would've kill himself unless he changed his mind at the end.
Silent Hill is like a living thing and the fans are it's blood.
Silent Hill will lose blood time to time but it won't die that easily.
It can still make new blood.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

wonder's boy wrote:
Oddish wrote:Different strokes, I guess. I'm kind of surprised that as many people voted for "Maria" as did. I just don't get what anyone sees in that ending.
I guess it could be that people sometimes like seeing these tragic characters that force themselves back into the situation that prompted them to start their journey in the first place.
I like it specifically because I can see how it might turn out positive. Even if it's not likely. I happen to think it's the most interesting ending of the three because there's some anger and resentment in James' character towards Mary even though there's also love and sorrow. The Maria ending is really the only one which touches upon the former.

I think it's an ending most people misunderstand and write off as the 'bad' ending and think it paints James as a horny asshole. Could not be further from the truth.
wonder's boy

Post by wonder's boy »

Yeah, there's that chance it could turn out positive, and I'd hope it would. Though to me, him wanting Maria that way comes off as unready to fully move on from Mary. I still believe all the endings can be positive in a certain light, though it really comes down to personal beliefs. In Water is one I'm ambivalent about, though.

The resent he expresses towards Mary is healthy for him in that situation. It makes him feel more genuine to have some bad sentiments with the good. I also never really understood why people tend to brand James as a horndog because of Maria, her basic presence, or because of her ending. The sexual components are there in his desire for her, but he also seems more interested in the intimacy of the relationship from dialogue in scenes throughout the game and Maria ending. Like he wants that closeness and affection. The only times I remember James' lust for her being brought into question is when Maria instigates it, or through the unconscious or direct effects his psyche/presence may be having on the town and its details.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3