Mannequin Room in SH2: Hidden Memo?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

cmm6016
Just Passing Through

Mannequin Room in SH2: Hidden Memo?

Post by cmm6016 »

In the mannequin room in Woodside Apartments, where James finds the flashlight and comes across the first Mannequin monster, you find a memo on the table behind the Mannequin dressed in Mary's clothes. In James' inventory, the memo is entitled "Choosing Death":

"When life is filled with nothing but despair, some people choose to end it all.

I once chose that path for myself as well.

At the time I felt that I had no other choices.

After I made my decision, it became the only thing binding me into this world.

Sometimes I would cry to myself while thinking of the past, but mostly all I did was plan over and over again how and when I was going to kill myself.

I did stupid, dangerous things. I figured it didn't matter since I was going to die anyway, so I went out of my way to invite disaster.

I stopped talking to people and it didn't bother me even when friendships grew distant."

My questions are, 1. Do you believe that, since Silent Hill models itself after the subconsciousness of its inhabitants, that this message is not just an article from a magazine but a manifestation of James' subconcious desire for death?

2. Do you believe this gives more credence to the "In Water" ending?

My personal opinion is that, as much as it rips my heart out to say it, James indeed killed himself following the events of SH2. This article is the firmest of evidence I have gathered to pose that this ending is the true, cannon ending. If you disagree, please don't tear me apart. I hate this ending and I wanted James to survive, but there appears to be a lot of evidence, aside from this, that the opposite happens.
'Bout as dead as anyone's bound to get.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: Mannequin Room in SH2: Hidden Memo?

Post by AuraTwilight »

If I recall correctly, that memo changes on each playthrough to give hints toward every ending.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Aura's right.

Also: There's 3 memos. One for the Leave, one for the In Water and one for the Maria ending. ("The Road to Tomorrow", "Choosing Death" and "How to be a Happy Couple").

They're "random" as far as I know. . .
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

Aura's right, there's two other memos that can show up. One is called "The Road to Tomorrow" and the other "How to be a Happy Couple", clearly referencing the Leave and Maria endings.

------------

"The Road to Tomorrow"

The first step to a healthy life is to avoid illness. That may sound obvious, but it's also very important. Instead of working to heal yourself after you're sick, it's better to avoid getting sick in the first place.

Also you have to maintain a positive, optimistic outlook on life. It's no use worrying over things that have happened in the past.

You've got to get outside and play in the fresh air once in a while, instead of just sitting inside reading difficult books.

"How to be a Happy Couple"

Do you really love her? In sickness and in health? If you truly love her, then you must act. It all depends on how hard you fight for her.

Whatever happens, don't give up. Always try just one more time. Even though there may be hard times, never turn to another woman.

And if it comes to it, you must be willing to protect her with your very life. After all, true love means a willingness to sacrifice.

Be true to your heart and with luck, things will work out in the end.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
cmm6016
Just Passing Through

Post by cmm6016 »

Oh wow, thanks guys. That significantly brightened my view on this game. Lol it seems to be branching down different paths in SH2. The ending is pretty ambiguous, isn't it?
'Bout as dead as anyone's bound to get.
Xerophan
Just Passing Through

Post by Xerophan »

I've never found those memos in all of my playthroughs of the game. How sad, considering I don't currently own the game anymore. It would've been neat to see those.
2 Favorite Quotes:

"[color=#0000FF]I was weak. That’s why I needed you.... Needed someone to punish me for my sins.... But that’s all over now.... I know the truth.... Now it’s time to end this."[/color]--James Sunderland

[color=#BF0000]"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty....It's all the same once you're dead. And a corpse can't laugh."[/color]--Eddie
Lostkitsune
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Lostkitsune »

I'm with Xerophan, I have never seen or heard of these memos despite playing through the game several times. Next run I'm gonna check that out.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

It is literally, a tiny, dirty, cream pamphlet on a dirty, tan desk. If you have the game too dark, you'll walk right past it every damn time.
Lostkitsune
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Lostkitsune »

Harrys_Girl wrote:It is literally, a tiny, dirty, cream pamphlet on a dirty, tan desk. If you have the game too dark, you'll walk right past it every damn time.
Thanks for specifying <3. See I sometimes have friends want me to play through for them, and last time I walked allllllll over the room looking for things to examine or just look at, yet I missed it. I actually think I have a save near that point on the PC version. I might check it out.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Yeah, it is easy to miss. Not only is it similar in color, but the table it is on is low to the ground and far below eye level.
Coma of Souls
Just Passing Through

Post by Coma of Souls »

That was the really cool thing about SH2. Each of those little moments that pointed to the different endings that left us with more questions than answers.

I have played heaps of number 2, yet I am still finding things for the first time. Those memos are really hard to find, I always seem to have to press my 'x' on the controller 2 or 3 times for the bloody thing to connect. That makes it very easy to miss things. Lol.
*currently playing Silent Hill 3*

Alessa, my dearest... For the pain that I've caused you... I deserve no mercy. Even if it was to save mankind, it was too deep a sin.

—Claudia Wolf
Clesker
Just Passing Through

Post by Clesker »

Mephisto wrote:Aura's right.

Also: There's 3 memos. One for the Leave, one for the In Water and one for the Maria ending. ("The Road to Tomorrow", "Choosing Death" and "How to be a Happy Couple").

They're "random" as far as I know. . .
That's news to me. I thought there was only one memo. At least, every time I played I always found the "Choosing Death" memo. Very interesting...