I figured out how to get 1080p on SH2 (US) for PC using.....

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Rayder
Just Passing Through

I figured out how to get 1080p on SH2 (US) for PC using.....

Post by Rayder »

....the Squ1zZy_Silent_Hill_2_Resolution_v1.0 patch.

This only works on the USA version of Silent Hill 2 for PC, from my understanding.

Get the patch here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z4MF5VVI
(please make mirrors of this file in case this one dies)

I've browsed around the net, looking at how to use this patch as many people seemed to be having difficulty getting it to work (including me) and were complaining that there was no readme included with the file explaining how to make it work. Well, I figured it out.

Not only will this make the game run in widescreen resolutions with the correct FOV, but it will also allow you to run the game without a disk. Yay!

Step 1: Install the game normally. Be sure to have it install all the movie files too. If you need to, install any official patches for the game that you may have.

Step 2: Go to the game's install directory, which is typically "C:\Program Files\Konami\Silent Hill 2", or you can get there by right-clicking on the SH2 desktop shortcut, selecting "properties" and then click the "Find Target..." button. Find the file called "sh2pc.exe" and rename it to sh2pc.bak.

Step 3: Unzip the "Squ1zZy_Silent_Hill_2_Resolution_v1.0 patch.rar" file and copy the 2 files ("sh2pc.exe" and "Squ1zZy_Silent_Hill_2_Resolution_v1.0.exe") into the SH2 install directory.

Step 4: Run "Squ1zZy_Silent_Hill_2_Resolution_v1.0.exe" and select the resolution you wish to run at in the drop-down box, then click "Patch". You can now close the patcher and explorer window.

Step 5: Run the game. Go into the options, select "Advanced Options" and set the in-game resolution setting to 640x480 (that's the resolution the patcher is designed to alter. Don't worry, it will go to the res you selected in the patch file). You may also set all the other options as you like.

The game will now run in the resolution you selected with the patch. If the FOV still seems off, exit the game and then run it again and FOV will be fixed as well.

FMV's will still be stretched, but the actual game graphics will be in the correct aspect. I think I can deal with that, can't you?

My monitor only supports up to 1680x1050, so that's where I set it for me, but it looks GREAT!

I hope people find this helpful. I did do a search before posting this, so I don't think it was known previously at these forums.

Happy gaming!
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Re: I figured out how to get 1080p on SH2 (US) for PC using.

Post by Typographenia »

Awesome, thank you! I'll definitely be doing this when I get the chance to reinstall the game on my next computer!
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

I wanna see a screen shot with this in action, please~
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

I have the director's cut on the pc..will it work?
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
Rayder
Just Passing Through

Post by Rayder »

Screenshots at 1440x900. You can select a whole bunch of different 16:9 (or 16:10) resolutions, even ones far above (or below) 1920x1080, if your monitor can handle it. My monitor can only go to 1680x1050, but the game was dipping below 30FPS at that res (which the game seems to be locked at), so I backed it off to 1440x900 on my old PC. You can change the res at any time by running the patcher again and selecting a different resolution.

(click on the thumbnails to enlarge)
Image Image Image Image Image

The pics were taken using FRAPS.
PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote:I have the director's cut on the pc..will it work?
The Director's Cut is the Europe version, right? I don't think it will, it was designed to work with the USA version as far as I know, but you can try it and report back if it does work or not. The download contains both the patcher and a special sh2pc.exe that the patcher was designed to work with, so it might. I don't know what the differences between the Europe and USA versions might be, but I don't think it would hurt anything to try it. (I can't promise that though) At worst, I would think it just wouldn't run properly, or give an error, and you'd have to restore your original sh2pc.exe, as the special sh2pc.exe that's included with the download is the only thing the patcher seems to alter. I only have the USA version to test it with and I haven't encountered any problems yet, other than FMV's are still stretched.

I imagine FMV's would have to be re-encoded in 16:9 to fix them, and I have no idea how to do that. But the actual game graphics have the correct FOV.
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

FANTASTIC! I'm glad this file was FINALLY found. I was looking for this for a loooong time, but no one seemed to have it! Its been a long time since I was on the WSGF. It works absolutely perfect in 1920x1080 with proper 16:9 fov! It looks and plays (for me at least) wonderful.

If you have FRAPS running, it will slow your frame rate down.

As for the videos, most of them are actually already done in 16:9 widescreen, but the game still plays them stretched out, but this to me is very minor as the game looks excellent... I recommend turning the noise filter off.

Funny thing is... you will see where the developers didn't have characters move completely off screen when needed to for some of the real-time cutscenes when viewing them in widescreen. An example is when Laura is walking James down the hospital hallway... you see James not quite off screen just standing there when we shouldn't see him.

Same happens in Silent Hill 3 in a couple of scenes when playing it in widescreen as well.

Again... thanks for this!
The current progress of my Silent Hill pinball (video) game can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/aMklvWiUqhY
Rayder
Just Passing Through

Post by Rayder »

Glad it worked for you guys! :D

I searched around online for about 3 hours until I figured it out. I had the patcher thingy for quite a while, but I didn't know about setting the in-game res to 640x480 to make it work. The idea came to me to try it when I read in a thread where the people were manually hex editing the game to work in widescreen....they said their hex edit only worked when the game itself was set to 640x480, so I did that while using the patcher and it worked! The icing on the cake was finding a DL of the patcher WITH a fixed (NoCD) execute made especially for it already included.

Can anyone verify if it's working for the Europe version?
Hoppy
Just Passing Through

Post by Hoppy »

I can confirm it works on the European version

PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Thank you! :D
MrOrange
Just Passing Through

Post by MrOrange »

Sorry for the bump, but is there any way to get Anti-Aliasing to work with Lens Flare and Advanced Filters? I seem to be having trouble with it.
DarkReign27
Subway Guard

Post by DarkReign27 »

I actually wondered if anyone gets the same thing I get using the SH3 FOV change for 1080p. I've noticed on the left and right of the image I get a bit of black, even shows up on fraps? If so then it's just because I'm stretching and using the FOV editor, if no one else has it must be a video issue not stretching the full image. I don't see any problem with 2 or with 4 I think it's just SH3.

"Cheryl ? Is that Cheryl !?"
|
SH Tributes Part 0 to 5 at http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DarkR27
Alex420
Just Passing Through

Post by Alex420 »

MrOrange wrote:Sorry for the bump, but is there any way to get Anti-Aliasing to work with Lens Flare and Advanced Filters? I seem to be having trouble with it.
I tried enabling anti-aliasing on my GPU settings, but then the game gradually became slower, it began lag, until it was unplayable. So I only use anti-aliasing when trying to take high quality screenshots. I think the game just might be too old for Windows 7.
DarkReign27 wrote:I've noticed on the left and right of the image I get a bit of black, even shows up on fraps?
Yeah, I get that, too. I think it's just part of the actual game itself and we can't fix it. I never really notice it anyway.
CrazyCracker994
Just Passing Through

Post by CrazyCracker994 »

Don't suppose there's another way to download the patch since Megaupload's been shut down? :[
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

CrazyCracker994 wrote:Don't suppose there's another way to download the patch since Megaupload's been shut down? :[
A google search of the file brought me to a mediafire mirror of the unzipped .exe file.

HOWEVER, I have not personally tried downloading and using this file. Be aware that you will be downloading the .exe at the link at your own risk. Please be certain that you have necessary protection in place on your computer before downloading and using this file. It is entirely possible that this is not the same file mentioned in the link, and it is a file simply named the same. I wouldn't personally expect that, but I just want to warn you before you act.

Link here: http://www.mediafire.com/?1sydtsgigxd4757
DarkReign27
Subway Guard

Post by DarkReign27 »

I could send the original I have it still if it comes down to it, I'll send it by email if it is needed by someone.

"Cheryl ? Is that Cheryl !?"
|
SH Tributes Part 0 to 5 at http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DarkR27
CrazyCracker994
Just Passing Through

Post by CrazyCracker994 »

Typographenia wrote:
CrazyCracker994 wrote:Don't suppose there's another way to download the patch since Megaupload's been shut down? :[
A google search of the file brought me to a mediafire mirror of the unzipped .exe file.

HOWEVER, I have not personally tried downloading and using this file. Be aware that you will be downloading the .exe at the link at your own risk. Please be certain that you have necessary protection in place on your computer before downloading and using this file. It is entirely possible that this is not the same file mentioned in the link, and it is a file simply named the same. I wouldn't personally expect that, but I just want to warn you before you act.

Link here: http://www.mediafire.com/?1sydtsgigxd4757
Yeah I tried this before posting, but it doesn't include the second sh2pc.exe which I guess I need because whenever I try to patch the new resolution in, all I get is a 'File not found!' message.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

I apologize, I didn't realize it was using an altered version of the original .exe for the game.

Hopefully darkreign can help you out.
Pilgrimzero
Just Passing Through

Post by Pilgrimzero »

Anyone have a patch or exe for the directors cut? Thanks.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Pilgrimzero wrote:Anyone have a patch or exe for the directors cut? Thanks.
I believe this post on NeoGAF has what you're looking for.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=4112
Jort
Just Passing Through

Post by Jort »

I'm not too technical with this stuff, but perhaps you can also use the Artmoney software to achieve this (with just about every game you want). That program is pretty much the only solution on getting Silent Hill 4 (PC) to run in widescreen resolutions.
http://www.artmoney.ru

Everyone probably already knows about this, since I read about it here on the forums, but yeah :)
emptimass
Subway Guard

Post by emptimass »

I figured out how to get SH2 in HD as well. Through my PS3 in the Silent Hill HD Collection. :)
"No more soul to sell, 31 years and on my way to Hell".