Silent Hill 2 HD will have a new voice cast...

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

mr. mason
Just Passing Through

Silent Hill 2 HD will have a new voice cast...

Post by mr. mason »

I made a thread like this for SH3 but since Sh2 is a fan favorite i gotta ask what do you guys think about it ? i Know guy James' original Va won't be returining because konami owes him serious residules for both his voice, mo-cap and likeness.
Words are our worst enimies, Only actions speak the truth.
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Silent Hill 2 HD will have a new voice cast...

Post by Yoshata »

I'm not pleased at all, because I was kinda looking forward to that for the HD collection...but maybe the new cast will enhance the experience more than I'm thinking. It's just that, for me at least, I've grown to bond with and love the voices for the characters in the current version of the game, even despite the awkward deliveries. The idea of that same cast coming in to record those lines over again really excited me - it would've been really interesting, to say the least.
mr. mason
Just Passing Through

Post by mr. mason »

i know how you feel, cause thats exactaly how i feel about the SH3 cast, not to say i didnt like the SH2 cast, there were really good too. I'm worried the most for mary/maria. that final monologue at the end was heart wrenching and from an acting standpoint, a really hard one to get right.
Words are our worst enimies, Only actions speak the truth.
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

Really? I figured they were just going to remaster the original games. Well, that's kinda lame. It'll definitely sound very weird to us, but if the voice actors do well at it, then it won't bug me too badly.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

If it's true, then that would suck big time.
I liked all the original voice actors' performances and especially Guy Cihi.

I still believe to this day that Silent Hill 2 had the best voice acting in the series.
We are still here...
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

I'd rather sign a petition boycotting the HD release.....if they really needed to change the VO....they might as well remake the whole game for scratch...i admit guy cihi's VO wasnt perfect...but it was good enough to be considered iconic...i can only see things going downhill from here...
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
Rayder
Just Passing Through

Post by Rayder »

Who knows, the new voice-overs could make it even better. It's not like the VO's as they are now were the greatest ever. A lot of them were actually kinda bad, we just got used to them. It could create a whole new interest in playing the game again for people who have played the game out. They'd play it yet again to hear the new VO's.
SilentRobert23
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentRobert23 »

PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote:.if they really needed to change the VO....they might as well remake the whole game for scratch
Rayder wrote:Who knows, the new voice-overs could make it even better. It could create a whole new interest in playing the game again for people who have played the game out. They'd play it yet again to hear the new VO's.
I echo these sentiments. I personally wouldn't mind a full remake, in the vein of the REmake for Gamecube.
country matters
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

New voices probably means new dialogue.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

I wonder if they will re-render the entire town or just update the texture maps? It looks like they're heading in a direction where gameplay changes could be next. If so, I say they just go whole-hog and develop an entirely new game (for 2 and 3), with new level designs and everything. Keep the locales and elements that worked in the originals, but maybe streamline certain parts, like the subway area or the labyrinth. I don't like it when makers take a concept just barely halfway and simply put a new coat of paint on a game.
Aerith Gainsborough

The Adversary wrote:New voices probably means new dialogue.
I wonder why they would want new dialogue, though.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I have no problem with it. Chances are the delivery will be a lot better than the original game, because god knows some of the lines sounded really awkward. Silent Hill 2 and 3 didn't have bad acting... it was just awkward sometimes. At best, the new voices are fantastic. If not, we still have the original games. Someone could potentially even hack the old voices into the new game.

It's possible. I kind of don't think it's likely, though... my first thought was "oh, they're improving the acting" rather than new dialogue. If it's new, though... wonder if they'll just be bringing it more in line with the Japanese script.
Laxamentum
Just Passing Through

Post by Laxamentum »

Aerith Gainsborough wrote:
I wonder why they would want new dialogue, though.
"Huh, radio. Whats going on with that radio?"

-Sniffles-
It's a damn shame the way people mistreat such nice things...
-Curtis
Aerith Gainsborough

^Hey, I like the naivety of Silent Hill characters! :o
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

The first game sure could've used an HD remake. Shattered Memories was maybe 20% that. Anyway, the script to SH2 itself was actually pretty good, as I remember. Several memorable lines... "I hate bowling." "Leave us both the hell alone!" and my favorite one, "I am... if you want me to be. I'm here for you, James. See? I'm real." It'll be tough to find a better Maria.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Ok, I'm just going to go ahead and say this:
OH MY FUCKING GAWD!! NO GUY CIHI?!?!?! WHY KONAMI?! WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN HIM?! WHAT FUCKING IDIOT OKED THIS BULLSHIT?!?! GUY CIHI *IS* JAMES SUNDERLAND, BITCHES!! NOBODY ELSE CAN DO A GOOD JAMES!! SON OF A FUCKING BITCH!! THIS IS THE MOTHER OF ALL OUTRAGES!!! I NEED TO STAB SOMEONE!!

Yeah...there was no way to word it without sounding like a Team Silent whiner, so I just went ahead and typed it exactly like I thought it.

I'm getting over it. It just really surprised me for some reason, and I have no idea why I was so mad originally. I'm sure the voice actor they replace him with will do a good job. Or at least he fucking better. That's all I've got on that front.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Yoshata »

^^
Believe me, I feel the same level of disappointment, or close to it - I just didn't get as angry as you did. :P

I do get a little angry thinking about why Konami has such a problem rightfully paying someone who worked on something with them. WTH, man? That's no way to do business, or make sure projects go smoothly.
silenthell88
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by silenthell88 »

I'm sticking with the original games. New voice actors will ruin these games for me. I think the graphics are great on them anyway. It'll be interesting to see how these "HD" versions look tho. It's sad Konami screwed things up.
Aerith Gainsborough

^Are you surprised? I'm not.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I heard Guy wasn't going to voice James again due to payment issues. What the fuck could that be?