Happy birthday, Silent Hill 2! Event today!

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

crivelliman
Just Passing Through

Happy birthday, Silent Hill 2! Event today!

Post by crivelliman »

The survival horror game of all survival horror games, Silent Hill 2, was released ten years ago today. While that might not be of much consequence to a huge assortment of people, it means a huge deal to my girlfriend of nearly six years. See, this was the game that made her into a "gamer." She wanted to celebrate by playing through the entire thing with her best friend, like they did in 2001. Unlike ten years ago, they'll be doing it all in one sitting, today, starting around 2 or 2:30 PM. All of the junk food and drinks represent what they would have eaten back in 2001, and I think they're planning on dressing up a little.

The fun part is that they're going to be UStreaming the entire event. I thought it might be fun to share with an eclectic group like this one. They're doing it from my UStream channel (that I just made up), and should start between 2 and 2:30 today. They don't expect anyone to show up, but thought they'd at least leave the floor open if anyone wanted to bomb in.

Without further ado, the link is here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/littlehousetv.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Re: Happy birthday, Silent Hill 2! Event today!

Post by alone in the town »

I'm not the kind of person who gets transcendent over fiction. I enjoy it a great deal, of course, and I like to create some of my own, but it's not the sort of thing which, I think, changes lives except by chance.

I can't say that anything about Silent Hill 2 itself changed my life, but I loved it enough to become a huge fan, and that has definitely led me in directions I would not have otherwise gone, and met people I would be poorer for not knowing. I played and enjoyed the first game before the second came out, but this is the one which made me fall in love.
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

Thanks for sharing! I didn't realize it was already the 10th anniversary of its release.

I'll stop by for a little and check out the show.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

If I'd realized today was SH2's birthday, I'd probably have planned to play it today. But since it'd take me somewhere around 4 or 5 hours and I have other stuff to get done, I... I'm torn. Maybe I'll ditch everything else and do that for the rest of the day. I have been craving it, after all.

Either way, happy birthday to one of the best video games to ever exist! *Raises her glass of ice water*
crivelliman
Just Passing Through

Post by crivelliman »

Thank you very much for the nice feedback, and for anyone interested in swinging by the show. I'm happy to see my lady is ripping through the game, and the feed is going strong.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

I dropped by for a minute, but was disappointed not to hear them talking while playing. I think I'm going to go play it myself, but it will be interrupted by trips downstairs to do laundry.
You can let your GF know that she inspired me to play it today, too. :)
Yoshata
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Yoshata »

I'm not going to play the game today - but, what an awesome game that's been out for 10 years and is still heavily discussed and highly enjoyed. BIG happy birthday to Silent Hill 2! It entered my life much earlier, much closer to the time it was made, but I only became an actual fan of the series within the last few years, and it was because of this game. I'm so grateful for that because now I enjoy the series itself so much. I've never been so impacted by a video game series before, and this game alone started it all.

Great idea having a streaming event, crivelliman. :mrgreen:
crivelliman
Just Passing Through

Post by crivelliman »

phantomess wrote:I dropped by for a minute, but was disappointed not to hear them talking while playing. I think I'm going to go play it myself, but it will be interrupted by trips downstairs to do laundry.
You can let your GF know that she inspired me to play it today, too. :)
They have audio, now! So you can hear their... commentary ;) Hope you stop in again =)

Yoshata wrote:I'm not going to play the game today - but, what an awesome game that's been out for 10 years and is still heavily discussed and highly enjoyed. BIG happy birthday to Silent Hill 2! It entered my life much earlier, much closer to the time it was made, but I only became an actual fan of the series within the last few years, and it was because of this game. I'm so grateful for that because now I enjoy the series itself so much. I've never been so impacted by a video game series before, and this game alone started it all.

Great idea having a streaming event, crivelliman. :mrgreen:
Thanks a lot! I'm so glad there's some love here.
Silent Evil
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Evil »

Wow, no idea someone had created a thread here to celebrate this momentous occasion! :D

I'm so glad to see SH2's 10th Anniversary get the attention it so rightfully deserves. A shame, that it didn't get more recognition on other SH boards, Facebook, Twitter and across the net within video game circles in general. Frankly, I'm a bit taken aback. Good to know that it wasn't completely lost on some of us.

That's awesome crivelliman, wish I'd known about it I would've liked to have checked in on your friends' live playthrough. Too bad I'm so busy these days, if I had the time would've loved to have done the same. I was at a Horror-Con on Saturday, so I didn't actually get to honor SH2's 10th Anni until way later that night.

Anyway, I made a thread for it on my main SH board(SHC) - http://www.silenthillcommunity.com/view ... 1&t=432686

I'm celebrating in my own way by taking a look back at the early history of SH2 leading up to its eventual release. The way it was promoted, the marketing campaign, first set of screenshots, video footage and trailers, etc.

This was my standard post in honor of the 10th Anniversary:

Betrayal...

Bitterness...

Escape...

Horror...

Loneliness...

Love.

SILENT HILL 2

USA Release: September 24th, 2001
JAPAN Release: September 27th, 2001
EUROPE Release: November 23rd, 2001

So tomorrow, is actually the 10th Anniversary of SH2's Japanese release. Seeing as that's the copy of the game that I bought and own....

I'm gonna keep this 10th Anniversary gravy train rollin'! :lol:
Follow me on: deviantART | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube