Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 22 Jul 2018




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message

Gravedigger
 Post subject: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controversy
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 05 Dec 2010
Notes left: 451
http://silenthaven.tumblr.com/post/10688958680/interview-with-david-schaufele-voice-actor-for-eddie


Well from the looks of it....Guy Cihi has a pretty good defence in his case...so stop blaming him for the VO changes...xD.....The suits at Konami better get their shit together!

_________________
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....


Top
   
 

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 16 Sep 2006
Notes left: 629
Last seen at: Seattle, WA
Thanks! Loving these interviews that have been coming out


Top
   
 

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 May 2009
Notes left: 662
Last seen at: Ontario, Canada
This is what Monica Horgan has recently posted on Facebook. This shit's so back and forth, it's kind've annoying~

"Guys I loathe to chime in on all this business but in the interest in keeping the fragile progress we have made I would like to. It is my belief that the GOAL here is to get you guys the original voices on the game that you love. I wanted more information at the onset of all this and I went out and got it...from professionals who understand the talent business. At the time the game was made and released, I was considered a "professional" actor. I was on TV, on the radio, in games (many) and I had done work in the US and abroad (namely Japan). My voice has been used hundreds and hundreds of times. Here is what I DO know about royalties and residuals. Not once have I ever been paid any residuals for video games (or any voice work for that matter). And since the new HD game is now Konami US property, it is important to realize how it works in the US. I now live in LA and I have spoken (due to all this "controversy") with 2 BIG agents (who specialize in video games) and the bottom line is that GAMES do NOT receive residuals. To quote a VIDEO GAME TALENT REP (agent): "IT IS NOT DONE." Even famous, big-name Hollywood actors are paid once--no "back-end" deals. That aside, and to lend credit to claims that residuals have been earned for some people; Japan is like "The Old West" and deals can be made between agents, talent and companies that are off the grid and often are. Pay scales were radically different for different talent, there is NO UNION in Japan for VAs (called narrators there). If you had a smart, fast-thinking agent, you could have been paid more, or over time potentially. NO ONE knew SH2 would go on to its success. It is SO common to have something get big and then have all this squabbling about credit, compensation, motives, etc. But PLEASE...this whole business about discussing getting paid is putting a SERIOUSLY bad taste in my mouth.

Here it is folks: I would LOVE to have the old voices on SH2 as an option for fans. I will be at Konami to sign off on this as a reality tomorrow. My experience with them thus far has been totally relaxed, pleasant and light-hearted. And I am sure if I suggested "pizza and beer" they would be game for that too. I realize I am just one voice: but It was my understanding that this is what the fans would like so let's make it happen!"


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
Well from the looks of it....Guy Cihi has a pretty good defence in his case...so stop blaming him for the VO changes...xD.....The suits at Konami better get their shit together!


As much asskissing as you're doing, nothing David said in that interview took any of the blame off of Guy Cihi whatsoever, only mentioning that, no, none of them saw contracts for SH2 and that David got some contracts with games like Tekken and shit. It doesn't change the fact that Guy Cihi was demanding residuals that didn't exist and that he was being a huge whiny ass bitch on Facebook.

Also props to Monica Horgan. We love you.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Mar 2011
Notes left: 283
At least Guy has stopped demanding the residuals and wants to just hand over the rights to Konami. There may be a martyrdom complex going on in his head, but if he had no case to begin with Konami would've just used the original voices from the start and told him to go screw. The fact that they went through the trouble to re-do everything suggests some legitimacy to Guy's claims. In any case, I agree with David's comments in the interview about art. It's jarring to many people when classics are haphazardly (and needlessly) altered, especially when the changes are pervasive and hard to ignore. There's a lot in common between storytelling and magic. Now that we know the new voices were awkwardly shoehorned into existing animations and scripts, it feels like we got a glimpse behind the curtain at a stage-hand pulling a lever, which makes it more difficult to enjoy the levitation trick on display. If the development team behind the HD remakes were truly concerned about delivering a Silent Hill release everyone could enjoy, they'd put the old voices back as an option and suffer the legal consequences... which are probably little more than court fees, since nobody can produce any documentation.


Top
   
 

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 25 Jan 2010
Notes left: 444
.


Last edited by Yoshata on 14 Nov 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 05 Jul 2010
Notes left: 3339
Last seen at: Kentucky
AuraTwilight wrote:
Quote:
Well from the looks of it....Guy Cihi has a pretty good defence in his case...so stop blaming him for the VO changes...xD.....The suits at Konami better get their shit together!


As much asskissing as you're doing, nothing David said in that interview took any of the blame off of Guy Cihi whatsoever, only mentioning that, no, none of them saw contracts for SH2 and that David got some contracts with games like Tekken and shit. It doesn't change the fact that Guy Cihi was demanding residuals that didn't exist and that he was being a huge whiny ass bitch on Facebook.

Also props to Monica Horgan. We love you.


Oh Aura. Sometimes...I think you and I share a mind.

_________________
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Let us do the fusion dance.

By which I mean sex.

Also, I like how David explains that his insane Eddie performance was inspired by his backpacking trips, where he met "crazy characters" and "near death experiences" but doesn't elaborate. whats goin on thar?

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
Cannibalism. :)

By which I mean sex.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 05 Dec 2010
Notes left: 451
AuraTwilight wrote:
Quote:
Well from the looks of it....Guy Cihi has a pretty good defence in his case...so stop blaming him for the VO changes...xD.....The suits at Konami better get their shit together!


As much asskissing as you're doing, nothing David said in that interview took any of the blame off of Guy Cihi whatsoever, only mentioning that, no, none of them saw contracts for SH2 and that David got some contracts with games like Tekken and shit. It doesn't change the fact that Guy Cihi was demanding residuals that didn't exist and that he was being a huge whiny ass bitch on Facebook.

Also props to Monica Horgan. We love you.


I wont play devil's advocate here...i just hope people get to play Sh2 in it's original form and not some faux-director's cut made by a bunch of people who have no connections with the original team silent members and then altering their masterpiece without fully understanding what these alterations can do to the story.....I dont even care anymore...i have my old copies..i can play them if i wante...it's the new players who are gonna have to play the botched up version of the game....

_________________
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....


Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Mar 2011
Notes left: 283
^That's an interesting point that I hadn't thought of before. These games are being updated with no input from the creative force that originated them. It would be like Michael Bay going through The Sixth Sense and adding CGI zombies to all the outdoor shots to bring them "up to date." If M. Night Shyamalan was the one doing it, it wouldn't be as bad... (though it would still be BAD. lol)


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
But...nothing is being altered except a graphical quality update and the voice acting. It's not like the script is being altered, so how is the "story" being altered?

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11978
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
I actually agree with everything Aura has said in this entire thread.

This is a strange feeling. ;)

_________________
"I dreamt last night I saw you
A single spark explosion negotiating with the dead
By the bright lights in some ICU on my chest you put your head
and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."


Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Mar 2011
Notes left: 283
AuraTwilight wrote:
But...nothing is being altered except a graphical quality update and the voice acting. It's not like the script is being altered, so how is the "story" being altered?


Why the quotes around "story?" I didn't say they were changing the plot of the game. But the acting is a pretty significant part of the delivery, wouldn't you say? Graphics can be updated without discarding the original graphics. Voices can be digitally remastered etc. to make them clearer and louder. Voice PERFORMANCES cannot be improved upon without replacing them. Removing such a big element from another person's creative work is disingenuous to the artist and the game itself. So instead of CGI zombies in the background, think about some studio executive getting a hold of original Bob Dylan tapes and hiring somebody to replace the guitar parts because they were out of tune. It just seems more than a little phony to me, like the opposite of a Director's Cut: deliberately making the games less like their creators intended.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 26 Mar 2010
Notes left: 1875
Last seen at: Los Angeles
KingCrimson wrote:
Voice PERFORMANCES cannot be improved upon without replacing them. Removing such a big element from another person's creative work is disingenuous to the artist and the game itself. So instead of CGI zombies in the background, think about some studio executive getting a hold of original Bob Dylan tapes and hiring somebody to replace the guitar parts because they were out of tune. It just seems more than a little phony to me, like the opposite of a Director's Cut: deliberately making the games less like their creators intended.

So, the original voices are supposed to make me laugh more than half the time?
To be quite honest, I almost talked myself out of buying SH2 because I had seen that video of James meeting Angela in the cemetery.

Curious, did you ever play the Resident Evil remake on the Gamecube or the Wii?
There are TONS of people who hold the original version of the game with great pride and respect, but it's laughably bad more often than not. SH2, while not nearly on the same scale as that, certainly has its fair share of issues holding it back in areas. The spotty voice work is probably number one on that list. Do I still love the acting, good or bad? Yeah, you better believe I do. Would I like to see the performances executed in a way that could perhaps be better than the original performances? Yeah, I wouldn't mind that at all.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Droo wrote:
I actually agree with everything Aura has said in this entire thread.

This is a strange feeling. ;)


Orly? But we agree on so much all the time!

Like um.

Uh.

Dudes are hot?

Quote:
Why the quotes around "story?" I didn't say they were changing the plot of the game. But the acting is a pretty significant part of the delivery, wouldn't you say? Graphics can be updated without discarding the original graphics. Voices can be digitally remastered etc. to make them clearer and louder. Voice PERFORMANCES cannot be improved upon without replacing them. Removing such a big element from another person's creative work is disingenuous to the artist and the game itself. So instead of CGI zombies in the background, think about some studio executive getting a hold of original Bob Dylan tapes and hiring somebody to replace the guitar parts because they were out of tune. It just seems more than a little phony to me, like the opposite of a Director's Cut: deliberately making the games less like their creators intended.


Fair enough, but on a purely technical level, the delivery of a story does not effect the story itself.

That being said, the voices of Silent Hill were never really important to me, PERSONALLY, so all thing drama kind of falls short. I'd rather have quality over nostalgia or anything similar.

The voices are, on a serious note, not very good. This is partly because of the quality of the emerging industry rather than a problem with the voice actors themselves; the "this is what the creators intended" argument has no power because they didn't so much "intend" what we got so much as settle for it.

Frankly, I would rather have both the old voices and the new voices; but you can't remaster the old voices properly because Douglas' voice actor is dead, and...well, apparently lolresiduals or some shit.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 05 Dec 2010
Notes left: 451
Good News Everyone!
I just went through Guy's profile this morning and guess what...Tomm Hulett called to discuss the whole issue about the old VO controversy...I am pretty sure we're getting the old voice overs back...

_________________
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11379
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Well, it's a possibility atleast. Let's hope. Tomm Hulett's always been a real cool guy.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 05 Dec 2010
Notes left: 451
IT'S OFFICIAL!!

GUY CIHI, MONICA TAYLOR HORGAN, DAVID SCHAUFELE AND DONNA BURKE HAVE ALL SIGNED THE WAIVERS THAT WILL ALLOW THE USE OF THE OLD VO FROM SH2 IN THE NEW HD COLLECTION!!!

A SPECIAL THANKS GOES OUT TO TOMM HULETT , DEVIN SHATSKY AND MICHAEL RANJA FOR MAKING THIS HAPPEN!

_________________
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: David Schaufele(Eddie) Speaks Out On The SH2 VO Controve
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 05 Jul 2010
Notes left: 3339
Last seen at: Kentucky
^Can we have a source, please?

_________________
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: