Silent Hill 2 cast finally sign their waivers for Konami!

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Re: Silent Hill 2 cast finally sign their waivers for Konami

Post by alone in the town »

In short, Konami sucks either at making records or keeping them and now the whole world asplode?
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Yup. That, too. :?
IishDylan
Just Passing Through

Post by IishDylan »

Regarding the blurring of Cihi's face (which was one of his noted complaints), had he filed the complaint of wanting royalties by the time the edition with the Making Of DVD was being released? I'm not sure exactly in what order editions and ports of SH2 were released you see.

If that's not the case, and if Cihi didn't intentionally ask Konami to censor his face, then why did they bother doing it?

I had said I was taking neither side as I didn't want any arguments to form over this now settled issue. In doing so I mentioned why I believed both sides were in their rights. However, I do lean more to Konami's side as I do, as I've said, find it very hard to believe that there were no written contracts for some involved in this project.

Please note however, that I waver back and forth between sides. As we were not there, there is no way we may ever fully know. There may have been contracts, there may have not. I'm not leaning more to one side or the other. It's a version of "he said" and "they said". We can't be for certain. So I am not supporting nor being against either side, due to lack of information or evidence that could win one side over the other in this "who was right and who was wrong" scenario that fans may most likely never be certain of.
There was an AWESOME SIG here. It's gone now.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Calamity wrote:I'll still remain on my indifferent list regarding the whole affair til I know: 1) Who is voicing Angela for the redone cast (the only role I actually care about in 2) 2) If my wish will finally come true that Mary will voice Claudia and 3) If Heather's original VO will be present. Of course the old cast will always have its charm but I personally would like to hear how the lines are handled by a new cast. If the option for either\or is there, both parties are happy but again I won't feel any sort of angst over the new cast until the aforementioned roles are detailed.

As an aside, I do find my mind kind of humorous as I disliked the changes done when MGS1 was remade for the Gamecube, but am mostly rather indifferent to this whole thing with SH. Potentially because SH1 is still my favorite and that's more or less untouched.
I believe it's been stated that whoever voices Angela also voices Claudia, just as in the original games. However, Mary isn't voicing Angela, so unless that information was wrong, she's not Claudia, either. :/

I really hope that the original voices can come as an unlockable or something. A lot of fans will likely just go immediately to the old voice option if it's just a choice in the options menu, and that's kind of a slap in the face to the new voicework.

Also, while I'm fine with this happening... I'm still rubbed the wrong way by Guy trying to claim this was always just about the fans. :/
Calamity

Post by Calamity »

Yuki wrote: I believe it's been stated that whoever voices Angela also voices Claudia, just as in the original games. However, Mary isn't voicing Angela, so unless that information was wrong, she's not Claudia, either. :/

I really hope that the original voices can come as an unlockable or something. A lot of fans will likely just go immediately to the old voice option if it's just a choice in the options menu, and that's kind of a slap in the face to the new voicework.

Also, while I'm fine with this happening... I'm still rubbed the wrong way by Guy trying to claim this was always just about the fans. :/
Huh, I learned something new today! I had no idea that Donna voiced Angela myself... I may want Mary to voice Claudia cause I felt she handled the lines a bit better from the soundtrack and as much as I do love her voice acting, I wouldn't want her to go anywhere near Angela. :P I don't think she would though since she's already handling Maria\Mary and having her do three roles in such a small cast would not only be overkill, but I'm not sure her range could handle three completely different characters in the same game. Oh well, I'll just keep on listening to the soundtrack and thinking about what could have been. Hehe!
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Please note however, that I waver back and forth between sides. As we were not there, there is no way we may ever fully know. There may have been contracts, there may have not. I'm not leaning more to one side or the other. It's a version of "he said" and "they said". We can't be for certain. So I am not supporting nor being against either side, due to lack of information or evidence that could win one side over the other in this "who was right and who was wrong" scenario that fans may most likely never be certain of.
I don't mean to start a fight, but multiple people have stated that voice actors do not get royalties, strongly implying that Cihi was in the wrong. It's one versus just about everyone else, and as far as anyone can tell--even by Cihi's own admission--it was a verbal agreement of typical voice acting payment.
Huh, I learned something new today! I had no idea that Donna voiced Angela myself... I may want Mary to voice Claudia cause I felt she handled the lines a bit better from the soundtrack and as much as I do love her voice acting, I wouldn't want her to go anywhere near Angela. I don't think she would though since she's already handling Maria\Mary and having her do three roles in such a small cast would not only be overkill, but I'm not sure her range could handle three completely different characters in the same game. Oh well, I'll just keep on listening to the soundtrack and thinking about what could have been. Hehe!
I agree she'd make a great Claudia! I love her Maria, though. I'm mixed on what we've heard of her Mary, and I can't see her as Angela, but I would hope they wouldn't triple-dip voice actors, as much as I love McGlynn.
Calamity

Post by Calamity »

Yuki wrote: I agree she'd make a great Claudia! I love her Maria, though. I'm mixed on what we've heard of her Mary, and I can't see her as Angela, but I would hope they wouldn't triple-dip voice actors, as much as I love McGlynn.
I'm very fond of her so far as Maria as well, likewise kind of undecided on her as Mary. She has a very commanding voice and can do softer roles, but most of the VA stuff I know her for doesn't completely lend itself to making me believe she'd be deathly ill. :P Perhaps we'll both be pleasantly surprised though! :3
IishDylan
Just Passing Through

Post by IishDylan »

Oh no no, I'm not trying to start a fight either. So was Cihi the only one really complaining?
Like I said, the only thing that would bother me is my face being blurred out in a Making-Of (especially since he was the protagonist), That's why I wonder if he had started these claims of wanting royalties way back to before the edition of Silent Hill 2 that the "Making Of" was included.

Like I said, I wasn't trying to cause any sort of conflict with anyone, and I do apologize if I had angered anyone at all :(
There was an AWESOME SIG here. It's gone now.
Haoie
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Haoie »

Not like people really notice the VAs in SH games.

Except maybe how bad they are.
If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

I was about to cancel my HD collection pre-order...then I heard about this! Glad to see it! Thanks for the post. That pic is hilarious btw. Guy looks like he's thinking "Take another picture and you're dead.."
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

http://www.facebook.com/notes/silent-hi ... 7013661152

The original voices have been officially confirmed by Konami for the HD Collection!
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

AWESOME news about SH2- it says there will be options for original or new voices! That's exactly what I was hoping for. I'll utilize both. :) It's too bad SH3 won't include the originals, but I'm still pleased. They tried.
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

Giving the option to choose between original or new voices renders as pointless the very existence of the new voices.

On another point, I'm not fond of the new voices, and I know the original voice actors weren't even professional, but those were the voices everyone heard ever since SH2 was released, we all have these voices attached to these characters, that's not easily replaceable. So, I don't think disliking the new voices = being a blatantly blind fanboy. At least, that's the way I see it.

Now, SH3 is what worries me. I haven't even heard the new voices yet.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Giving the option to choose between original or new voices renders as pointless the very existence of the new voices.
How? Some people WANT to hear new voices, atleast to hear how it's different.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
alone in the town

So, I don't think disliking the new voices = being a blatantly blind fanboy.
Disliking them when all we've heard is a few, clearly raw and unpolished, examples totally makes you a blatantly blind fanboy. At the least, a wanton nostalgia slut.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

I'd say it's fair to dislike Eddies new voice at this point.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
alone in the town

I'm going to reserve judgment until I hear the finished production.production
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

AuraTwilight wrote:
How? Some people WANT to hear new voices, atleast to hear how it's different.
You're getting me wrong, I'm on your side when it comes to that. What I'm saying is, if you put the old voices back as an option, then what was the point? That's what I don't get.
alone in the town wrote:
So, I don't think disliking the new voices = being a blatantly blind fanboy.
Disliking them when all we've heard is a few, clearly raw and unpolished, examples totally makes you a blatantly blind fanboy. At the least, a wanton nostalgia slut.
I'm pretty sure those clearly raw and unpolished examples were released so people were able to make their own pre-conceptions. Going by your logic, people shouldn't be able to like them either.
alone in the town

FrankRD wrote:I'm pretty sure those clearly raw and unpolished examples were released so people were able to make their own pre-conceptions. Going by your logic, people shouldn't be able to like them either.
You can like or dislike the preview clips as much as you like. I personally wasn't impressed.

However, people are already dismissing the finished and polished product--which no one has heard--on the basis of those raw, unpolished clips. That's just stupid.
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

alone in the town wrote:
FrankRD wrote:I'm pretty sure those clearly raw and unpolished examples were released so people were able to make their own pre-conceptions. Going by your logic, people shouldn't be able to like them either.
You can like or dislike the preview clips as much as you like. I personally wasn't impressed.

However, people are already dismissing the finished and polished product--which no one has heard--on the basis of those raw, unpolished clips. That's just stupid.
That I can agree with.