The Apartments

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Fantastic Mr Fox
Just Passing Through

Post by Fantastic Mr Fox »

I found the apartments to be incredibly creepy. It was the first time that it really hit home just how alone James was. I can still remember the first time I played it, at night all alone with the duvet over my head in case I got too scared. :D

As for what they represent? The broken home theory makes a lot of sense. But for me they also represented James' subconscious. The apartments are abandoned, empty and have monsters lurking in them. Perhaps I'm looking a bit too deep but that was just the feeling that I got while I played the game.
Damn It All
Just Passing Through

Post by Damn It All »

I just finished the apartments and I have two questions/observations...

1. Anyone noticed that room 303 in the Woodside apartments have a VERY odd red tint surrounding the front door in the hallway? I just thought it was peculiar especially considering that the apartment is really messy inside. Also I found a particular painting inside the bedroom to be interesting...

2. When you pick up the fire escape key to fight PH, there is very clearly a note underneath the key but it's like impossible to read. Anyone else notice this?
The Heart is heaven but the Mind is Hell. - Tom Waits
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

2. It's an envelope.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Damn It All
Just Passing Through

Post by Damn It All »

MMY wrote:2. It's an envelope.
Oh okay so I suppose the guy gave him the key in such.
Geraldo007
Just Passing Through

Post by Geraldo007 »

I think I prefer the subconcious theory.

As for me, I think it's where you get a wiff of the story, and its characters.
"In my restless dreams..."
Noble Kale
Just Passing Through

Post by Noble Kale »

I always thought the apartments were represented James's mind. Some parts are accessable (spelling) while others aren't. Monsters lurking in the halls. It just seems to me like the inside of his head.
This is the year when hope fails you
When the test subjects run the experiments
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

That's an interesting idea, actually, Noble.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Damn It All
Just Passing Through

Post by Damn It All »

Noble Kale wrote:I always thought the apartments were represented James's mind. Some parts are accessable (spelling) while others aren't. Monsters lurking in the halls. It just seems to me like the inside of his head.
I agree. I've always felt there was something more to the apartments then just a way to get to the park.
AnimalMother
Just Passing Through

Re: The Apartments

Post by AnimalMother »

When James was younger he raped a woman in the woodside apartments and got an STD. He then gave it to Mary.
The only thing I know is nothing
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I was going to wonder why this two years-dead thread got necrobumped, but the value of your insight is beyond question.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

AnimalMother wrote:When James was younger he raped a woman in the woodside apartments and got an STD. He then gave it to Mary.
What if that woman he raped WAS Mary and neither of them ever found out!? :o

Wait, that makes no damn sense! :x
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

So... Mary had the STD since the beginning?

Why the hell am I analyzing this crap??
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>"The only thing I know is nothing"<
At least he's honest.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
JamesInWater
Just Passing Through

Post by JamesInWater »

Sorry to necrobump again, but I believe the apartments to be where James killed Mary.
Mary's dress with the light, dead James watching t.v, the room with all the butterflys and moths.

This is also where we can hear the whispering that sais "see my dead wife, do the laundry to get some peace, put her body in the car to save some space" or something similar.
These apartments are also the birthplace of Pyramid Head, whose relevance to murdering Mary I don't really need to explain.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Except we can see in the video where James killed Mary, and the bedroom's layout doesn't match anywhere in the apartments.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
JamesInWater
Just Passing Through

Post by JamesInWater »

I always thought it looked kind of similar to the butterfly room what with the single bed and all.
To be honest it is kind of hard to tell what with all the black and white and static.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

However, the ending clips for In Water and Leave both show them in a room very different from the apartments.
HeartlessBastard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by HeartlessBastard »

I just find weird how all the character meet there. Even so, all of them have a room to represent them, like said, except Laura. She is represented by the park behind the wall. Maybe this means that, even though she's not guilty like the others, there's still stuff being manifested to her.
"Good people should love their enemies" - Seu Madruga
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

If you are necrobumping, it means that I am not the only one doing it, so yay! :D

If each character had a room in the apartments, maybe Mary's was behind one of the broken doors we couldn't access.
I don't think James killed her there, though. It doesn't flow right. I think he killed her at home.
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

I think that they may have added the Apartments for a personal touch, you are going through what used to be peoples homes, something you didn't do a lot of in SH1, all I can remember from that is the house close to the beginning.

There may be something deeper behind it's inclusion but I'm struggling to see it.