Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 24 Aug 2017

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject: The Apartments

Missing since: 30 Mar 2005
Notes left: 698
Last seen at: Everett, MA
What exactly, if any, were the significance of the apartment buildings? All the other locations you go to mean something, but I've yet to know the reasoning behind the apartment buildings...if there's any at all.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Jan 2005
Notes left: 1218
Last seen at: deepest recess of Walters mind... I got a train here :D
well, you meet every other character there for the first time, minus angela, so its significant in the sense you find out some of their stories and meet them. It also seems to predict a lot of the games future.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Jun 2004
Notes left: 334
Last seen at: Los Angeles, CA
I've always had an idea about this. I've always thougt of the apt buildings representing a broken home. Scince Mary was ill, she'd lash out at James yell at him and all that so the marrige wasn't what it used to be. At least thats what goes on through my mind when I play through that part. JUST a though...

Post subject:

You also find James dead in a recliner in the clock room....At least I think it's James.

-Sparta

Post subject:

The Apt with its dozens of rooms is a way to introduce all of the characters and their problems early on, but all at one place, because each room can function as a different world....a doorway to somewhere else.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

FrozenHalo wrote:
The Apt with its dozens of rooms is a way to introduce all of the characters and their problems early on, but all at one place, because each room can function as a different world....a doorway to somewhere else.
I kinda had a bit of a feeling about that...

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Apr 2005
Notes left: 699
To be honest, I dont think there's any deep meaning behind it.
You just have to go through it to get to the other streets. Its used to introduce other characters, including PH, and thats it, really.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject: Re: The Apartments

Missing since: 28 Feb 2006
Notes left: 731
Last seen at: Australia
NightFlutter wrote:
What exactly, if any, were the significance of the apartment buildings? All the other locations you go to mean something, but I've yet to know the reasoning behind the apartment buildings...if there's any at all.

Well, all the main areas you visit are places people live for an amount of time. Apartments, Hospital, Prison, Hotel. They all have beds. It fits in with that, though I'm not sure of it's specific meaning, if it has one, I think it what people have already said.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Jun 2005
Notes left: 209
Last seen at: In the basement of the Alamo
I wouldn't be dissapointed if all the apartments were for was to indroduce pyramid head. That scene creeps me out.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject: Re: The Apartments

AgentX7k wrote:
NightFlutter wrote:

Well, all the main areas you visit are places people live for an amount of time. Apartments, Hospital, Prison, Hotel. They all have beds. It fits in with that, though I'm not sure of it's specific meaning, if it has one, I think it what people have already said.

The hospital is where Mary stayed, the Prison was for James, the Hotel was where he and Mary stayed...that's the significance for those...the apartment doesn't fit in any of those categories...and that's why I was asking.

Post subject:

IDk. But I have notice, if you skip Eddie and go straight to Angela the door won't let you pass, a "power" blocks it. It's weird.. You have to meet and talk to Eddie, it's like fate.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 20 Jul 2005
Notes left: 3898
Blue Velvet reference?

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Feb 2006
Notes left: 319
Last seen at: Rock Hill, SC
Xuchilpaba wrote:
IDk. But I have notice, if you skip Eddie and go straight to Angela the door won't let you pass, a "power" blocks it. It's weird.. You have to meet and talk to Eddie, it's like fate.

Sure, because if you don't meet him for the first time you wouldn't really know him. And in the room with Angela you find one of the coins that you need to continue in the game.
That's why you can't continue in the game if you didn't follow the storyline - meet Eddie.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Mar 2006
Notes left: 2
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f231/ ... z/877o.jpg
What does it mean that 208 on the door. Have you any idea?
:?

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19397
Last seen at: #lfk
In the Woodside Apartments, room 208 has the key that leads to room 202; room 202 is the room with the dead butterflies and living moths that leads into room 208.

The butterfly, Maria, is found dead on a bed. In room 202, there's a dead butterfly, found on a bed. Notice that in the Labyrinth--in that picture--you're not in room 208, but instead a room that's leading into it.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

the Adversary wrote:
In the Woodside Apartments, room 208 has the key that leads to room 202; room 202 is the room with the dead butterflies and living moths that leads into room 208.

The butterfly, Maria, is found dead on a bed. In room 202, there's a dead butterfly, found on a bed. Notice that in the Labyrinth--in that picture--you're not in room 208, but instead a room that's leading into it.
Room 202 leads into Room 208? Are you referring to the hole behind the clock? Cuz that'd be Room 208 leading into a different room altogether.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19397
Last seen at: #lfk
The key to room 202 is in 208. The clock key is in 202. Thus: 208-->202-->208

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 May 2006
Notes left: 94
Last seen at: Woodside apartment's,room 109
SInce there is a topic liek this I have a question:"I saw one of the Silent Hill 2 trailers,I think it was the E3 or teaser whatever it was I saw the PH walk with the Great Knife while James was in a room with no door,was that in the apartments?"
If you don't get the question it mean's how the hell did the Pyramid appear in the hallway's(Not the part you go to the north and see a wall with the Pyramid Head)and hunt's James?

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 11 May 2006
Notes left: 108
Last seen at: England
Yeah I saw that too.
A cut out scene i think, fucking scary! :o

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 May 2006
Notes left: 216
Last seen at: Artaud Theater (Can't be at the hotel all the time, you know...)
Could the apartments also be a reference to James' father, who owns the apartment building from 4? Hence it would be a more subtle reference that is revealed in later games, but something nonetheless....

~Linkin Park, No Roads Left