Silent Hill 2 too easy?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Ondine
Just Passing Through

Silent Hill 2 too easy?

Post by Ondine »

This is my first playthrough, I'm on normal, and I just reached the first encounter with Pyramid face. Am I still in the "intro?" Because I haven't taken a single hit, I have about 10 health drinks and five first aid kits. Of course in a game like this, I suppose the thematic "feels" of the game are more important than the challenge... but I do want SOME challenge!
"Shut your stinking mouth, bitch!"
SilentWren
Historical Society Historian

Re: Silent Hill 2 too easy?

Post by SilentWren »

^Do you have it set on normal difficulty?
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
heavensnightsh

Post by heavensnightsh »

Now on your next playthrough put it on hard mode instead :) It is very easy to keep dodging pyramid head. But be happy you have alot of energy drinks
[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/dbmhpc.gif[/img]
(o ) ( 0)[size=75]WOOO!|[url=http://www.silenthillheaven.com/wiki]Silent Hill Wiki[/url]|[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/tray.gif[/img]"What the hell is it?"[/size]
( ) ­ [size=75]I wanna thank you for this chance to be [color=teal]angels[/color] [/size]
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/Pokemon.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/HarryPotter-2.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/LGDare.gif[/img] Thank you Harrys_Girl for the Drawing Block!
[size=59][I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF][/size]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>>Do you have it set on normal difficulty?<<
>This is my first playthrough, I'm on normal<
Yes.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

This is one of the pansiest games ever. It's such a cake walk.

However, (feel free to tell me I'm wrong or debate this) but there's a reason even story wise that I've come to understand. Kinda makes sense but I'm sure not everyone is going to accept this of course.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
James isn't supposed to die. Harmed, sure but not killed. He's on a quest for knowledge essentially. Obviously he's not necessarily aware of what he's looking for at the time. He's being pushed forward to find the truth. I guess this may be why he can fall down the holes he does. Or why Pyramid Head knocked him off the roof top. PH could have stabbed the shit out of him or made sure he was dead. Instead, he knocks him down to find another piece to his puzzle.

Say as you will. I'm not sure if I completely subscribe to this but it seems plausible. I can't remember where I heard this theory either. It must've been 6-7 years ago I read into it. The town may be fucking with James hardcore but it could also be trying to heal him. Depending what ending you get anyways.
So as weird as it may seem, there could be kind've a reason why Silent Hill 2 is so damn care bear. I would love to hear people help or destroy that theory though.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

Edited for bitchiness :D

@Ondine-I would suggest setting it on hard like heavensnightsh wrote. I don't know if you have a guide for it or not (some ppl don't like to use them on their play-through) but if it's still too easy on hard, then just don't make all the pick ups and/or use weaker weapons. There was once I kept the plank for most of the game because I liked being able to move around the enemy.
Last edited by SilentWren on 16 Nov 2010, edited 1 time in total.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

Do like I did, other than bosses, use the stick with the nail in it. On every enemy. the entire game. xD
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

It gets even easier when you have all the major item and puzzle stuffs memorized.
It's always fun trying to get the max star rating at the end, though.

The people who complain about too many items in later games always cracks me up because I always end up with a TON of items. Mainly because I always have a fear of needing them later on. I never once used a single golf club in SH4 just because I was always worried I would need them later. Before I knew it, the game was over. : (
Yaygob
Just Passing Through

Post by Yaygob »

With regards to the SH4 golf club set, and how they were damaging but rare and brittle, I saved them all for a super-hard situation. It never came :|
Ondine
Just Passing Through

Post by Ondine »

Not that I'm knocking anyone for using them, but I think guides totally ruin SH games. I understand using them for some of the tougher puzzles, but I think being lost and confused is a pretty big part of the survival horror genre.
"Shut your stinking mouth, bitch!"
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Ondine wrote:Not that I'm knocking anyone for using them, but I think guides totally ruin SH games. I understand using them for some of the tougher puzzles, but I think being lost and confused is a pretty big part of the survival horror genre.
I agree...i think the only time i've ever used a guide for a SH game was for when i wanted to try and save cybil....i used a giude to find out where i could get that red liquid....initially i would always have that empty bottle, but i didn't know what had to go in it....:D

The only other time i used a guide was for tomb raider 1 & 3....and i waited until i exhausted every single attemp at clearing the level until i bought one..i hated it, because you really don't get a sense of satisfaction by using a guide...on the other hand as far as the tomb raider series goes, i just thought i couldn't get past those levels due to crappy level design...seriously, some of the levels in TR3 were just unreal and there was no way you could clear it without a guide...

As far as the game being easy?...well it relatively is, but it was never about the combat anyway and the puzzles have the right amount of difficulty to not justify making them incredibly difficult just to extend the hours of the gameplay....it doesn't hamper the pace of the game. SH is all about it's story and it's journey...tho i will say that SH3 can at times be incredibly difficult with those enemies alone on your first playthrough, but SH2, while it is easy, it's still a great experience...
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Ondine wrote:This is my first playthrough, I'm on normal, and I just reached the first encounter with Pyramid face. Am I still in the "intro?" Because I haven't taken a single hit, I have about 10 health drinks and five first aid kits. Of course in a game like this, I suppose the thematic "feels" of the game are more important than the challenge... but I do want SOME challenge!
Are you sure you're not just. . . Running away from the monsters?
SHF

Post by SHF »

Seriously play on Hard Mode. All the monsters including are faster, and tougher to kill. Even PHead is faster and the first battle with him lasts much longer than on normal.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
Pitus
Just Passing Through

Post by Pitus »

if you really want to "feel" the game, set it on hard mode. it's more fun and exciting.
"Good times for a change.. See, the luck I've had can make a good man turn bad.. So please, please, please, let me, let me, let me, let me get what I want this time... *tininininininiwniiiw, tinininiinininiw*"
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

Most of the game isn't that much more difficult on Hard mode, but the last two boss fights are made much more challenging, as well as the section where you're being chased by Pyrie.

Honestly, the first game was really easy too, but in this game you can kill almost all of the monsters by shooting them while walking TOWARDS them, it gets boring and to me it's the most major flaw of my favorite game. Really the only thing in SH2 that's harder than SH1 is that you actually have to move around during the boss fights and you don't get a gun in the beginning (those two factors combined made SH2 seem much harder than SH1 when I first started playing it, now I believe it to be the easiest).
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

It could be that you're really good at this game. It does get harder later on, but I support the James isn't supposed to die until the end theory.
Brahms
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Brahms »

Typographenia wrote:le who complain about too many items in later games always cracks me up because I always end up with a TON of items. Mainly because I always have a fear of needing them later on. I never once used a single golf club in SH4 just because I was always worried I would need them later. Before I knew it, the game was over. : (
It happens to me in every game, especially JRPGs, hum...

But yeah, it's a very easy game(take into account I think almost every game in the last 10 years is easy). The hardest part for me was the number code written with blood in the basement of the hospital, but just because it's really hard to see sometimes and you just have to guess the numbers...
Loendrin
Just Passing Through

Post by Loendrin »

I had the honor of my friend telling me exactly what to do in most situations. -.-'
She doesn't get the concept that the game is even better when you don't know what to do. The feeling of helplessness and being alone in an area where everyone is out to kill you gives one of the best thrills I have played in a horror genre.
The monsters were not there so much to give you a challenge (not like the new games atleast) but to give you chills and scare you. Its not following most horror games and giving you a machine gun (*cough*three*cough*) and tells you to blast through countless numbers of zombies. Its the riddles and trying to find out where to go to progress through the story.
I love this game xD
i would rather live in a world of insanity
than a world that made sense
Apatheria
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apatheria »

Typographenia wrote:The people who complain about too many items in later games always cracks me up because I always end up with a TON of items. Mainly because I always have a fear of needing them later on. I never once used a single golf club in SH4 just because I was always worried I would need them later. Before I knew it, the game was over. : (
I tend to do the same thing in...well, pretty much every video game I play. Always saving powerups or disposable weapons 'til a tight situation...but even in tight situations, I never use 'em. Oy, when will I learn...
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Yep. Hard mode is a bitch. Pyramid head and the other monsters are creepily fast and so much more powerful. I died before I even got to the Woodside Apartments!!!
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.