My vision of the symbolism

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

CandyLander
Just Passing Through

My vision of the symbolism

Post by CandyLander »

After playing this game and spending many hours in the silent hill wiki a reached this theory:

Both James and Angela are traumatized and now they have to survive this city and not to suicide.

here i put what each character represents to the other characters in my opinion

Angela to james- She wants anything but sex. James is always trying to help her because he feels sorry for her, but it's not like he likes her. The lying figure could represent not just Mary, it could also represent Angela. The lying figure is in a straight jacket, like a crazy person, wich is the way James sees Angela. She wants to die just like mary wanted to.

Eddie to james- He is a serial killer. James sees himself as a "serial killer " for killing Mary. Eddies purpose is to remember james of what he done, kind of like the Pyramid head. That's why there's a second pyramid head after you kill Eddie, because one of the punishers is gone (eddie) so the city brings another one. After killing Eddie James starts repeating to himself "i killed a human being". But when he says that he's reffering to Mary not to Eddie. He exists, but he is in the town just to make James feel guilty

Laura to james - She is innocent. She is a person who suffered with Marys death, making james feel guilty. James is trying to not make her feel so bad, so he is going after her and she is always being "mean" to james. She exists, but she is in the city just to make james feel guilty

James to Angela - he is a man. Angela feels scared of him just like she feels scared of every other man. After james kills the abstract daddy angela is not so afraid os james anymore. When they see each other for the last time (after james kills the abstract daddy) angela thinks james is her mother. That is because she didn't fear her mother and she wasn't fearing james so much anymore at that point.

Angela doesn't meet any other character

James to Eddie -James is trying to show eddie the right thing to do. James could represent the pollice, wich Eddie is running away from. In the end Eddie tryied to stay against james, doing the wrong thing, but he ends up dying.

Laura is just inoccent, theres no symbolism with her :p

sorry for all the grammar mistakes

comment
Have you seen a little girl? Short, black hair. Seven years old...
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: My vision of the symbolism

Post by AuraTwilight »

Laura is just inoccent, theres no symbolism with her :p
There's LOADS of symbolism with Laura. Entire threads dedicated to it, infact.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

CandyLander wrote:After playing this game and spending many hours in the silent hill wiki a reached this theory:

Both James and Angela are traumatized and now they have to survive this city and not to suicide.
James originally went to Silent Hill to kill himself in a place full of memories. He is there, or was there, to kill himself until he had his mental breakdown and thought Mary died three years previously. Angela is apparently there looking for her mother. Angela is also suicidal, so she probably planned on killing herself shortly after finding her mum.
CandyLander wrote:Angela to james- She wants anything but sex. James is always trying to help her because he feels sorry for her, but it's not like he likes her.
James isn't trying to help anyone. He's just there for his own thing. Sure, he takes away Angela's knife, but that's more because he's a concerned bystander.
CandyLander wrote:The lying figure could represent not just Mary, it could also represent Angela. The lying figure is in a straight jacket, like a crazy person, wich is the way James sees Angela. She wants to die just like mary wanted to.
The lying figure represents Mary being trapped within her own body. Lying figures appear ill and emaciated, similar to someone whose body has been ravaged by disease, only worse.
CandyLander wrote:Eddie to james- He is a serial killer. James sees himself as a "serial killer " for killing Mary.
No-one in SH2 is a serial killer. A serial killer is someone who murders multiple people over a period of time. Sometimes they even have a set way of doing things, for example killing their victims a certain way each time.
Eddie only killed a dog and blew some guy's knee away. James just mercy killed his wife. No serial killing there.
CandyLander wrote:Eddies purpose is to remember james of what he done, kind of like the Pyramid head.
Eddie is there for his own purposes. They just so happen to cross paths, probably because they share similarities in their mindset or something (guilt).
They are also a great contrast depending on the ending you get; one accepts his otherworld and becomes empowered by it (until he's blown away in a meat locker), the other. The other, depending on your ending, can come to terms with what he did and break through the delusions.
CandyLander wrote:That's why there's a second pyramid head after you kill Eddie, because one of the punishers is gone (eddie) so the city brings another one.
I've read a few theories on this. One is that the second PH is there because James just killed another (second) human. Basically, second PH = guilt over Eddie's death. Then there are some theories that tie the extra PH in with Maria.
CandyLander wrote:After killing Eddie James starts repeating to himself "i killed a human being". But when he says that he's reffering to Mary not to Eddie. He exists, but he is in the town just to make James feel guilty
I believe that scene is a part of James' mind very almost breaking through his delusions. Not only is he talking about Eddie, but his mind piggybacks on that guilt and tries to remind him of the truth. He's talking about Eddie, and he's talking about Mary.
CandyLander wrote:Laura to james - She is innocent. She is a person who suffered with Marys death, making james feel guilty. James is trying to not make her feel so bad,
James didn't know Laura existed when he visited Mary because he was lost in thought each time. He wasn't aware they knew one another, so, until near the end when he remembers everything, he's not too concerned about making her feel bad. Until he remembers and tells Laura the truth he's really just a concerned adult who is worried about the safety of a lone child in a dangerous place (even if she is a little brat).
Besides, he wasn't too concerned about making her feel bad when he finally remembered everything and told Laura what happened. Needless to say, telling someone you murdered the only person who cared about them is going to make one feel pretty crappy.
CandyLander wrote:so he is going after her and she is always being "mean" to james.
Laura is mean to James because she has a very poor opinion on him based on what she has seen of him when he visited Mary. She doesn't like James at all, and children are very honest; if they don't like someone they'll let them know.
CandyLander wrote:She exists, but she is in the city just to make james feel guilty
Laura is only in Silent Hill to find Mary, not to make James feel guilty. He barely knew she even existed until he met her in Silent Hill. As far as Laura knows, Mary is alive and well in Silent Hill, and she simply wants to be reunited with her.
CandyLander wrote:James to Angela - he is a man. Angela feels scared of him just like she feels scared of every other man.
True. She does come across as being awkward around men. She even goes so far as to tell us what all men apparently think/want.
CandyLander wrote:After james kills the abstract daddy angela is not so afraid os james anymore. When they see each other for the last time (after james kills the abstract daddy) angela thinks james is her mother. That is because she didn't fear her mother and she wasn't fearing james so much anymore at that point.
Why Angela mistakes James for her mother isn't clear, but I think she was hallucinating due to the otherworld, or something. As for her mother, it hints that she wants to kill her mother because... Who knows. Angela probably blames her for allowing her father to abuse her. I recall reading somewhere that her mother may or may not have know of her abuse, but I don't remember the exact details.
CandyLander wrote:Angela doesn't meet any other character
You're right about Angela not appearing to meet anyone else. Going purely based on James, everyone only seems to meet because they have either met before and knew the same person (James and Laura), have thoughts of guilt (James and Eddie), thoughts of suicide (James and Angela), or because one is a creation based on another's thoughts (Maria and James).
Angela doesn't appear to have anything in common with Eddie, so as far as we know they didn't meet. She probably didn't have anything in common with Laura either, so they probably didn't meet. And Maria is a manifestation based on James' and Mary's thoughts, so she probably didn't meet Maria. Hell, even if Angela was in the same room with Maria, she probably wouldn't have seen anything considering Maria is a manifestation that has nothing to do with her.
CandyLander wrote:James to Eddie -James is trying to show eddie the right thing to do. James could represent the pollice, wich Eddie is running away from. In the end Eddie tryied to stay against james, doing the wrong thing, but he ends up dying.
Again, James isn't trying to do anything for anyone. Sure, he acts concerned when it comes to Angela and her knife, and Laura's safety, but that's the extent of things. James, Eddie, and Angela are there for their own agendas, not to help one another or show one another anything.
CandyLander wrote:Laura is just inoccent, theres no symbolism with her :p
I agree with Aura; Laura has a lot of symbolism. Just check out the SH2 stick thread.
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

@sowlless-shadow

everything you talked about the symbolism is the silent hill wikis and most of the players version.

I just tryed to look at the characters in a different way yesterday...

about laura not having symbolism, i only wrote that because i can't find any other diferent way to look at her :p

James to Eddie - James is telling Eddie not to kill a human Being. Since eddies "mission" in the town is doing the right thing and not killing anyone James is a little bit of a tutor to eddie. When james finds eddie with the gun saying "killing a person is not that bad..." eddie tries to explain himself to james
I'm not saying James sees himself as a tutor to Eddie, but Eddie sees James like that, get it?

What i'm saying is that they all have their personal reasons to be in the town, but the town called this group of people because they were all conected (the ones that actually meet each other), and some of them had symbolism to the others.

James and Angelas "mission" in the town is not to suicide

Eddies "Mission" in the town is doing what James says (not killing anyone)
Last edited by CandyLander on 25 Dec 2011, edited 1 time in total.
angelscream
Just Passing Through

Post by angelscream »

Laura has a lot of symbolism. And Eddie and Angela aren't just there for James' benefit. They were drawn to the town for a reason; for their own demons they have to face. Soulless-Shadow is right about them just crossing paths.
"You're not friends with that RED, pyramid thing, are you?"
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

angelscream wrote:Laura has a lot of symbolism. And Eddie and Angela aren't just there for James' benefit. They were drawn to the town for a reason; for their own demons they have to face. Soulless-Shadow is right about them just crossing paths.
i understand they all have their reasons to go to the town, read what i say '-'!

i'm saying the town called them all for a reason, and this reason being some of them should punish the others bringing back memories and stuff

again, laura HAS a lot of symbolism, i only wrote that because i couldn't find anything different from what people already know about her :p
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

I apologise in advance for such a long post.
CandyLander wrote:I just tryed to look at the characters in a different way yesterday...
There's nothing wrong with trying to look at things in a different way, but some of what you've said doesn't fit in with what is presented in the game.
CandyLander wrote:James to Eddie - i said james is kind of a responsable for Eddie in Eddies mind. Look at the scene where eddie is with the gun saying "killing a person is not that bad", Eddie tryes to explain himself to James.
James isn't responsible for Eddie in any way. The only person responsible for Eddie is Eddie. As for that scene, yeah, he's trying to explain to James why he killed that guy, and then he tries to back-peddle and get out of it, but not because anyone else is responsible for his actions. If anything, he's trying to rationalise and explain all his actions; from killing the dog and maiming it's owner, to killing the guy in the cafeteria, to anything and everything else in between.
CandyLander wrote:I'm not saying James sees himself as a responsable for Eddie, but Eddie sees James like that, get it?
Doesn't make sense. They've pretty much only just met. Why would Eddie relinquish responsibility for his own actions to a stranger? Especially considering that Eddie embraces his otherworld and actions later on.
CandyLander wrote:James and Angelas "mission" in the town is not to suicide
Yes, it is. Just read the script.

In Water Ending:
Silent Hill 2 Script wrote:James: Now I understand. The real reason I came to this town.

*The sound of a car starting is then heard.*

James: I wonder what was I afraid of? Without you, Mary, I've got
nothing....

*A car is heard racing along a road for a short time.*

James: Now we can be together....
That makes it pretty clear that James originally went to Silent Hill to kill himself. As for Angela, just look at her lines when we see her in the apartment building, and then again at the flaming staircase:

Apartment:
Silent Hill 2 Script wrote: *after seeing Angela with the knife*

James: Angela... okay. I don't know what you're planning... But there's always another way.

Angela: Really? But... You're the same as me. It's easier just to run. Besides, it's what we deserve.
Flaming Staircase:
Silent Hill 2 Script wrote:Angela: Mama! Mama, I was looking for you.

*Angela walks towards James, while James backs away from her.*

Angela: Now you're the only one left. Maybe then.... Maybe then I can rest.

*James continues to back away from Angela.*

Angela: Mama, why are you running away'

*Angela puts her hands on James' face, then on his shoulders, and then back on his face. She examines his face closely and then backs away.*

Angela: You're not Mama. It's you... I, I'm sorry...

James: Angela, no....

Angela: Thank you for saving me... But I wish you hadn't. Even Mama said it... I deserved what happened...

James: No Angela, that's wrong!

Angela: No. Don't pity me. I'm not worth it....

*The tone of Angela's voice suddenly changes.*

Angela: Or maybe you think you can save me? Will you love me' Take care of me' Heal all my pain'

*James doesn't respond.*

Angela: That's what I thought. James. Give me back that knife.

*Angela reaches her hand out towards James.*

James: No... I, I won't.

Angela: Saving it for yourself'

*Angela begins to walk up the fiery staircase.*

James: Me? No... I'd never kill myself....It's hot as hell in here.

Angela: You see it too? For me, it's always like this.
"Kill myself"? Why would that line be there if neither of them had suicidal thoughts? That's their connection; they're both suicidal.
CandyLander wrote:Eddies "Mission" in the town is doing what James says
That doesn't make sense. Why would a stranger be called to Silent Hill and go through their own otherworld based on their own thoughts of guilt, only to just be bossed around by another crazy? Besides, there's no scene or indication that Eddie is there to be bossed around by James. Eddie's "mission" is to go through his own otherworld. They only meet because they're both deluded, tried to justify their actions, and feel/felt guilty for what the did.
CandyLander wrote: again, laura HAS a lot of symbolism, i only wrote that because i couldn't find anything different from what people already know about her :p
So, why didn't you write something like that instead?
CandyLander
Just Passing Through

Post by CandyLander »

CandyLander wrote:Eddies "Mission" in the town is doing what James says
That doesn't make sense. Why would a stranger be called to Silent Hill and go through their own otherworld based on their own thoughts of guilt, only to just be bossed around by another crazy? Besides, there's no scene or indication that Eddie is there to be bossed around by James. Eddie's "mission" is to go through his own otherworld. They only meet because they're both deluded, tried to justify their actions, and feel/felt guilty for what the did.
CandyLander wrote: again, laura HAS a lot of symbolism, i only wrote that because i couldn't find anything different from what people already know about her :p
So, why didn't you write something like that instead?
maybe the eddie theory is a little weak (a lot weak :D), gonna try to find something that proves it (i doubt so...)

when i say "doing what james says" i want to say "do the right thing"

gonna edit that, Eddies mission in the town was not to kill James (a human being) and he failed when doing that so he dies.

about laura, i used a funny face, you should have seen i wasnt being completely serious u-u
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

CandyLander wrote: maybe the eddie theory is a little weak (a lot weak :D), gonna try to find something that proves it (i doubt so...)

when i say "doing what james says" i want to say "do the right thing"
I'll agree that James does appear to be the voice of reason for Eddie, but he doesn't try hard enough or for long enough to convince Eddie that what he's doing is wrong. He tries even less to help Eddie than he does with Angela or Laura (whom he does seem to try to help, despite her being an annoying brat). Besides, if put in that situation, many people would try to be the voice of reason as well (the rest would have a clue and just blindly agree until they could shoot Eddie in the back in pre-emptive self-defence).
CandyLander wrote:gonna edit that, Eddies mission in the town was not to kill James (a human being) and he failed when doing that so he dies.
Technically, they don't actually have "missions". They're just in Silent Hill for their own reasons, and they're in the otherworld for their own problems. If they survive it's because they overcame said problems and fought on.
As for Eddie failing when he attempted to kill another human, for all we know, the dead guy Eddie gloated about killing could have been a real human as well (perhaps lost in their own otherworld). Eddie seems to act as though he has become very comfortable with his actions, but he's still a coward as evident by him trying to talk his way out of that scene. I think Eddie just picked the wrong guy to try to kill. If not for James, he probably would have gone on for longer, killing real and imagined humans he encounters in the otherworld until he again picks the wrong one (rule of thumb; don't attempt to kill people if they're also armed, even if they are teasing you "with their eyes", ok, Eddie? :P ).
CandyLander wrote:about laura, i used a funny face, you should have seen i wasnt being completely serious u-u
I'm not a mind reader, and I think it's safe to assume no-one else here is either. -_- If I was I wouldn't be sitting at home on Christmas discussing Silent Hill on the internet. I'd be living it up big somewhere from all my winnings in high stakes poker. Adding an emoticon is not the same as "I can't think of any new symbolism for Laura, so here's a funny face :P ". Besides, tone and jokes aren't conveyed as well through text as it is through voice and body language. You have to say exactly what you mean and try not to leave things too ambiguous. Hence why my posts are always long-winded.