How Scary is Silent Hill 2 and 3?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

dodge2461
Just Passing Through

How Scary is Silent Hill 2 and 3?

Post by dodge2461 »

Hello. If there is already a thread like this, I'm sorry. I'm new. Also, I know that I included Silent Hill 3 in this thread, but that is a lesser part. I want your opinion mainly on SH2, but if you could give an opinion on SH3, it would be appreciated.

Now, onto the main question.

I have played many games, but nothing has been as attractive as Silent Hill. It probably has something to do with Silent Hill 2 being the first game I saw on the Playstation 2, as my aunt was a fanatic of the series, and it gave her nightmares. Now, at age 14, I feel I have to play it. But, how scary is it. I'm planning on getting the HD collection(it's the only one available on Gamefly, believe me, I've heard all the bad things about it). Now I've played Slender, and that did not scare me. At all. Did not jump once.

So, how scary is Silent Hill 2 compared to Slender? Thanks in advance!
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Re: How Scary is Silent Hill 2 and 3?

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

Dont buy the HD Collection. get a used copy of the ps2 or pc versions for the best experience.
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
Postcode
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Postcode »

I've never played Slender, so I can't compare to that, but Silent Hill 2 is fairly scary, especially the first time. I think it 'puts you on edge' more than terrifying you. SH3 is scarier to my recollection, it feels closer to the first game (for a good reason), which was definitely pretty scary.
For anyone that might be interested in such things, some links to my music, of the alternative rock kind -
http://postcode.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/zebracore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Postcode/99794277098

And my Post-Rock band Nanaki -
https://nanaki.bandcamp.com
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

Slender is a different has a different kind of scare than Silent Hill. Thats POP IN YOU FACE horror. lol SH is psychological. Silent Hill 3 and 4 are the scariest IMO.
and do NOT get the HD Collection! Find the originals! They are for PC Xbox and PS2. SH3 is not on xbox.
Silent Fantasy
Historical Society Historian

Post by Silent Fantasy »

Your 14 and a member of this forum?
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
dodge2461
Just Passing Through

Post by dodge2461 »

What is wrong with the HD collection exactly? I've heard stuff about the new voice acting sucking, but is it that bad?
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

Just don't get the XBox 360 HD version because apparently Konami has declined to repair its issues. I'm sure it's still playable but you're probably better off with the PS3 version or PS2/XBox if you can find them.

And regarding your original question, I would definitely recommend both if you're looking for a frightening good time. They are both "scary" in their own ways, but they definitely have the factor.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

dodge2461 wrote:What is wrong with the HD collection exactly? I've heard stuff about the new voice acting sucking, but is it that bad?
Music is scrambled. Music randomly stops. Monsters sound are different. Missing Textures. A character will now have teeth for eyes. Missing effects such as heat wave blurs. Glitchy monster animation. Some freezes.
Though they did fix the framerate but you can still see it jitter.
Game will pause for a second to load a SFX. You will know when its coming.

You want to experience how it should be experienced with nothing altered.
pink_isnt_well000
Historical Society Historian

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

Silent Fantasy wrote:Your 14 and a member of this forum?
Not anymore.