Those pesky moths!

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

jimbo
Just Passing Through

Those pesky moths!

Post by jimbo »

hi guys, playing SH2 again and noticed something pretty neat, when you enter room 202 (where you get the clock key), theres moths flying about, now, turn your flashlight off and the moths bugger off, turn it back on and they follow the light.

Nice touch i thought, I'm a sucker when it comes to attention to detail!!!

Anyway, do you think theres moths in there cos maria stayed there once seeing as she sends a swarm of moths to attack you in the final battle?
And at the end of SH1 in the 'Childs room', there are moths on the walls in disply cases, Any connections????
Red Pyramid Headed Dude
Cherlessa
Just Passing Through

Post by Cherlessa »

actually, i believe they're butterflies, as well as the ones that were pinned in the display cases in SH1

EDIT: at least the ones in the room were...but the end battle and in SH1, those bosses were indeed moths
[color=blue]I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Dont hesitate to call.[/color] ^_^
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Nah, they're all moths: they're responsible for killing the butterflies that are seen dead on the bed.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
jimbo
Just Passing Through

Post by jimbo »

i prefer the idea of moths anyway, buttrflies are 'cute' but moths are like the darker more sinister cousins!!
Red Pyramid Headed Dude
Cherlessa
Just Passing Through

Post by Cherlessa »

heh-heh, thanks a bunch, adversary...

...i should read up on this stuff more before i reply :oops:
[color=blue]I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Dont hesitate to call.[/color] ^_^
jimbo
Just Passing Through

Post by jimbo »

Adversary seems to be the main dude when it comes to SH, where do u get all your info from? :D
Red Pyramid Headed Dude
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

From the games, primarily; and from reading & analyzing them. Just about everyone has the same amount of information available to them, it's only a matter of how they apply it.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Goodnight
Historical Society Historian

Post by Goodnight »

It's one of Maria's themes; the moths killing the butterflies, her butterfly tattoo, the moths in the final battle.

It's a great touch that the moths vanish when the source of light goes out. I noticed it too.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I always thought the moths represent Mary(seeing as she sends them at you) and the butterflies Maria.. and butterflies being symbols of reincartnation, the afterlife(spirits) and the otherworld.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Close. Maria is the butterfly, true--check her tattoo--but Mary, instead, is the caterpillar: the creature that becomes the butterfly. The cocoon: Death.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
put_here_2_feel_joy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by put_here_2_feel_joy »

Ugh! I should have know Mary was the catterpillar. "In my cocoon of pain and lonliness." But.. I also didn't know that moths killed butterflies... That's weird.
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/Dredge_/sunsetcopy.jpg[/img]
deadhorses
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by deadhorses »

the moth things were in 4 too...

at least i thought they were moths.

they kinda look like bats, but they sound like bugs.
[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/cropknok/silenthillsig.jpg[/img]

i spit up dust of what they once were and fall down. i swarm.
dan abnormal
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by dan abnormal »

i will have to try that little trick
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

What the hell, they ARE butterflies. I just finished this game and I saw it, butterflies, agree.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

They're black moths in room 202. They're black moths at the end of the game. They're dead butterflies on the bed in room 202.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I heard, in some areas in the world, that they call moths and butterfles same way.
Like they only differentiate them like "day butterfles" and "night butterflis".
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Uuh, scary motefuka! Heh. But in end, they look like butterflies, I don't know anymore who is right.
LanceS133
Historical Society Historian

Post by LanceS133 »

Not to bring posts back from the dead but, do you think they did the light trick to hint to the player that the creatures respond to the flashlight?
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
kingkyde
Just Passing Through

Post by kingkyde »

They are moths,they are quit small,and some of the monsters(okay I think only the mannequin)are light sensitive(like in the movie the nurses)
[img]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l21/kymondking/c2g2.jpg[/img]
dan abnormal
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by dan abnormal »

http://www.shm.dustfungo.com/sh2/movie/ ... dLight.wmv

here is a video of the moths attracted to James' flashlight in the apartments for those of you who haven't seen it before.