Silent Hill 2 slow loading

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Nice Pants
Just Passing Through

Silent Hill 2 slow loading

Post by Nice Pants »

I have a problem with the PC version of SH2. The higher I set the resolution, the longer the loading times are for everything. It takes, on average, 20 seconds to go to new areas, load the map/inventory, etc. The transition to cutscenes are instant though. I've applied all the fixes, made sure it was running on 1 core. It seems that the only resolution that maintains the fastest loading times is the lowest resolution the game can handle. Now of course you can barely make out anything with that sort of resolution. Right now I'm using 1920 x 1080, and right now the loading times are a real turn off. When I need to take 20 seconds to check my map to continue, or reread a memo, that is game breaking to me. If anyone could help I'd definitely appreciate it!
silenthell88
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: Silent Hill 2 slow loading

Post by silenthell88 »

maybe you need more ram
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

What are your PC specs?
Nice Pants
Just Passing Through

Post by Nice Pants »

It makes no sense that the loading times are so bad. The game runs perfectly, aside from that issue.
silenthell88
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by silenthell88 »

Your specs seem fine. This game only goes up to 1280x1024 for me. Maybe this old game just doesn't like 1080. lol idk Try turning off as many background programs running in Windows before gaming & run the game in Windows XP SP2 compatibility & run as administrator. It's hard to give an answer without recreating the problem to find the fix. This game is just old and acts weird with modern tech. It loads super fast for me. I can barely even see the footsteps it goes so quick.

AMD Phenom II x6 2.7 Ghz
8 GB RAM
Asus Geforce GTX 660 Ti 2 GB OC
Windows 7 Home x64

running game on windows xp sp2 & admin compatibility at 1 core & 1280x1024 resolution max settings

Maybe something in that text will lead you to the answer. Sorry I can't help more.
Nice Pants
Just Passing Through

Post by Nice Pants »

I already tried everything you mentioned, and even switching the game to 1280 x 1024 yields 10 second loading times. I really don't want to emulate this on the PS2, for obvious reasons, but it looks like it's heading that way. It's a real shame, considering I'll have to redo everything.