Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 23 Sep 2020

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Feb 2006
Notes left: 246
Last seen at: Canada
Quote:
Due to signs of struggle in the room and the lack of a murder weapon, police are considering this a homicide and have opened a murder investigation.

You would think that maybe the fact that they are a) stab wounds b) are located at the front of the neck and the left side of the torso would rule it as a homodice, rather than the lack of the weapon.

...are my screams just a whisper?

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Mar 2006
Notes left: 51
Thanks for clearing that up.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Jan 2004
Notes left: 296
Last seen at: UK
As for the Grunts near the begining of the game, I always thought they sounded like a weird splashing sound, like someone struggling in water or trying to get air, like a map of things to come... i'm probably wrong since I can only just make it out, it's god damn scary though, makes you really wonder what's following.

Later on however it sounds like Heavy footsteps following you.

M.

Post subject:

One thing I haven't seen anybody discuss is the symbolism of the door itself.

I always thought it would be her father's shadow in a doorway, possibly. As she was in her dark bedroom, trying to sleep, he comes in through the lit hallway and his silhouette is seen.

Am I on the right track?

Post subject:

To get back to the Cockroach/silverfish. If you go along the lines of the Silverfish idea... the constent prevelance of water is a link I think. All the associations with water and such and if you ever been a damp basement or a crawl space, a Silverfish is likely to greet you. Remember the hallway in the Apartment complex... it was the first floor on the annex I think, where there puddles and such every where, isn't that your first encounter with the critters?

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Aug 2004
Notes left: 160
Last seen at: Desertical area
well, the rape thing is easy to figure out just look at the walls in the room when you fight with Daddy, the reference of perpetual penetration is pretty obvious when you saw circles and phallic figures with the in/out movement.

English is not my first language so stop bothering me, i will try my best.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Jul 2006
Notes left: 59
St. Thomas wrote:
The body of a man later identified as Thomas Orosco (Lumberjack, age 39) was discovered in the living room lying face down.

The probable cause of death was multiple stab wounds to thefront of the neck and the left side of the torso by a sharp edged weapon. The estimated time of deat was somewhere between 11:00pm and 12:30 midnight.

Due to signs of struggle in the room and the lack of a murder weapon, police are considering this a homicide and have opened a murder investigation.

Furthermore, given the fact that the cash in the room was untouched and Mr. Orosco had a history of drunkenness and violence, the police suspect that the motive was not robbery but was that of a crime of passion.

holy shit am I an idoit out of all the times I've pasted that game I never bothered to look at those newspapers on the floor once. That is actually extremly cool

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 09 Jun 2006
Notes left: 9
Last seen at: hell hole
Sullivan, Walter wrote:
Well, if you look closely enough you can see that there appears to be two separate moving entities on top of a bed like structure.....so I would hope so. ^_^
amphreded wrote:
Most monsters of Silent Hill 2 are direct manifestations of James/Mary or Angela (Abstract Daddy)
Personally, I'd say you do actually see what Eddie sees. All of the Dead bodies that surround him all have disfigured or discolored faces, to me this just means he sees people ugly people who, "look the same once they're dead".

but that bit in the part of the prison with eddie before you fight him suggets that he see's people laughing at him which he considers monsters

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Jul 2006
Notes left: 112
Last seen at: West Virginia.
I'm not sure what the significance of the Creeper is,since most of the creatures manifested in SH2 come from Jame's mind,and Creeper's metaphor deals strictly with Alessa...I guess it's just because Alessa had a huge impact on the town,concerning the cult,and the fate of The God,so perhaps some of her monsters [those created from her mind] still linger there.
BTW When I first saw the Creeper first time playing the game I was confused by it,at first I thought it was a wind-up toy that Laura had let loose on the floor [I first encountered one in Woodside Apartments] Mainly I thought this because of the noise it makes,sounds almost like a child's toy.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Apr 2006
Notes left: 886
Last seen at: Bath/London UK
Lying Figure

The whole straight jacket of skin look could be connected to James feeling of being restrained and powerless, but no solid connection.

Mannequin

No connection other then James finds Marys clothes on a real Mannequin.

Bubble Head Nurse

Mary spent time in a hospital, so obviously the Bubble Head Nurse fits in there. Also as it seems to be suffocated and have no way of breathing that would also form a connection.

Mandarin/Closer

Cant see any connection at all.

Flesh Lips

Smaller version of the final boss, but no real connection.

Abstract Daddy

Smaller version of the Thomas Orosco boss, that looks like a big figure holding another smaller figure down on a bed, so 100% connection to Angela.

Creeper

No Connection

Pyramid Head

No real connection. Other than it's seen "raping" mannequins in one scene, which would in fact form a closer connection with Angela.

Am I right?

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Oct 2006
Notes left: 921
Last seen at: Southern WI
Your analysis of Pyramid head is...ridiculously incorrect.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Dec 2004
Notes left: 2566
Last seen at: Insomnia land, where I am Queen!
This topic has been dead for over a year! Nooooooo!
I'm with BloodRedLion here though, your interpretation of Pyramid Head is way off.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

BloodRedLion wrote:
Your analysis of Pyramid head is...ridiculously incorrect.

I seem to recall from the DVD somthing about the helmet is suposed to look painful to wear, and so the Pyramid Head represents James inner suffering or somthing? But either way, rape and James have no connection at all. So at best Pyramid Head is a amalgamation of both Angela and James inner demons.

Post subject:

Pyramid Head is there to punish James for what he did to Mary. There is nothing to state that anyone else in the town sees Pyramid Head other than James and Maria, so he really has nothing to do with Angela. The whole rape thing would represent James' sexual frustrations since Mary was ill.

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

PeachySakura24 wrote:
The whole rape thing would represent James' sexual frustrations since Mary was ill.

Thats just it though. At no point in the game, not once, is the subject of James and Marys sex life ever mentioned in any way. Not once. In fact no offical related anything says that either. So where are you getting this idea from?

Are you sure James doesnt just like dressing up in big hats when no one is watching and thats what the Pyramid Head is. I mean no one ever says anything to support this idea in the game, but its just as good as the sex thing.

I mean look at James, he is a boring sap. He hardly acts like some kind of sex craved lunatic does he? His suffering is emotional, its not the same thing.

Anyways, it's all just theory anyway, nobody is right or wrong, but I aint down with it. No no no.

Post subject:

You have to look at the clues within the game. What is Maria's scenario called? Born From A Wish. Maria is a sexed up version of Mary, the way he wished Mary could have been. Of course the game isn;t going to come right out and say "Hey, James is a horny bastard! Look at all the sex he wants!" You have to read between the lines a bit, or at the very least, read some of the other threads on here that can explain this so much better than I can right now.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 17 Jul 2007
Notes left: 19
Breaka wrote:
I mean look at James, he is a boring sap. He hardly acts like some kind of sex craved lunatic does he? His suffering is emotional, its not the same thing.

Overtly, James' melancholy and anger predominate. Sure, he is suffering emotionally – it's no surprise he seems depressed, since he's bereaved. He's also a bit snappish and short with people. So, no, at the superficial level, his sexual frustration isn't obvious.

But remember, more or less everything we see in the town is warped by James' feelings of guilt. A huge component of the guilt James feels, to be sure, has to do with [spoiler] killing his wife. [/spoiler] But sex is an extremely common thing to feel guilty about, as well – even today, in what we consider to be a vastly less Puritanical age, we haven't completely been able to shed our entanglement of sex and shame/guilt. A number of the monsters James sees have feminine aspects, and are at once grotesque and sexualized. Taken as a whole, it’s a manifestation of the eros/thanatos dichotomy. And remember, it was [spoiler] his wife that James killed. [/spoiler] James’ guilt over his sin and his guilt related to sex are complicated by the fact that they’re interconnected – he felt guilty about and simultaneously frustrated by his sexual desire that was unfulfilled on account of his wife’s terminal illness.

Let me make this as clear as I can. You can look at this page for further clarification of monster symbolism, but there are a few details I want to add.

Lying Figure

The whole straight jacket of skin look could be connected to James feeling of being restrained and powerless, but no solid connection. This one seems pretty non-sexual to me. It’s a helpless creature, representing James’ suffering. It’s definitely related to James.

Mannequin

No connection other then James finds Marys clothes on a real Mannequin. It’s also a very objectified feminine figure, literally two pairs of legs sewn together at the torso.

Bubble Head Nurse

Mary spent time in a hospital, so obviously the Bubble Head Nurse fits in there. Also as it seems to be suffocated and have no way of breathing that would also form a connection. Also, the Bubble Head Nurse is in a hypersexualized costume, with a tight, cleavage-revealing top and short skirt. You can’t see any face, but you can see boobs and legs. Again, there’s a good amount of objectification suggested here.

Mandarin/Closer

Cant see any connection at all. Please look closely at the end of the monster’s arms, and tell me what you think they look like.

Flesh Lips

Smaller version of the final boss, but no real connection. There is a mouth located in the crotch-area, so some suggestion of a vagina dentata. The page from Translated Memories also indicates that the frame around the creature represents a bed, and the mouth located on the “abdomen” (it looks like it’s between the legs to me) symbolizes Mary.

Abstract Daddy

Smaller version of the Thomas Orosco boss, that looks like a big figure holding another smaller figure down on a bed, so 100% connection to Angela.

Creeper

No Connection

Pyramid Head

No real connection. Other than it's seen "raping" mannequins in one scene, which would in fact form a closer connection with Angela. Pyramid Head’s raping of the mannequins has everything to do with James. There’s been so much discussion of what role Pyramid Head plays, I’m sure you can find threads dealing with what he symbolizes elsewhere. To be brief, his raping of the mannequins shows the antithesis of James’ sexual repression.

I’m not even going to get into how Maria ties into James’ lust, because I’m sure it’s been adequately explained elsewhere.
PeachySakura24 wrote:
Maria is a sexed up version of Mary, the way he wished Mary could have been.
That’s a pretty adequate summary. Taken together, these symbols suggest more than a little preoccupation with sex on James’ part.

Post subject:

Well put, Ouroboros. :)

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Quote:
he felt guilty about and simultaneously frustrated by his sexual desire that was unfulfilled on account of his wife’s terminal illness.

Okay, it could work in theory. But I aint taking it as the gospel truth as there is absolutly nothing to back that up. I find it quite odd that your making up part of a story that didn't actually happen. Its also really unbelievable. Like, your wife is dieing and all you can think about is how little sex your getting? I mean you'd have to be a proper selfish weirdo to think like that when your wife that you love is dieing. I don't think that most people would think that way.

I just don't find that very plausable. Whereas if my father had sexually abused me, as is the case with Angela, then I could believe that people may had some sexual issues as a result.

And then, if you entertain the idea that Angela and not James was the dominant catalyst, you could then say,

Lying Figure
Represents Angelas feeling of being powerless and defenseless against her father.

Mannequin
The two sets of the lower body and no upper body could represent Angelas will to remove her self from that part of her body when being assaulted.

Mandarin/Closer
The long arms could represent her will to keep her distance from those that might hurt her.

Flesh Lips
Similar to the abstract daddy just kind of in reverse with the victim of the assault fighting back.

Abstract Daddy

Creeper
A big roach could be connected to feeling dirty.

Pyramid Head
Angelas image of her father as a tormentor ashamed to show his face.

See, it works just as well. And if anything, at least there is actual evidence in the story to back this up, unlike with the James Sex theory.

But to be honest, I don't think it is all about Angela, I think this Silent Hill is an amalgamation of both James and Angela, only her influence if far more dominant.

Then, saying that [spoiler]The biggest demon in the whole thing is Maria, and that is without question 100% James' creation.[/spoiler]

Post subject:

Oh, believe me, Breaka, it happens. You may have read on other threads that I am a cancer survivor. I was engaged at the time, and even as I was sick enough to die, my fiance constantly complained that I wasn't "affectionate" enough for him. Never mind that even my cat touching me with her paw could send waves of pain through me like I had never felt before due to the meds I was on, he just wanted him some nooky. So it is easily believable for me that these themes apply to James. These games are rich with symbolism, you just have to look.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next