'In Water' and the evidence that I believe makes it possible

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Xassis
Just Passing Through

'In Water' and the evidence that I believe makes it possible

Post by Xassis »

(Before I start with my theory, I recommend you watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhyT4gjDHM8, It's an interview with Guy Cihi and Dave Chaufelle and at about 16:00 Guy Cihi talks about the 'In Water' ending.)

In Water. My least favorite ending. The sad ending. The one that wraps up the game in possibly the worst way. But, is it plausibly the closest ending to a 'true' ending? Let's discuss.

First off, in the YouTube video I linked above, Guy Cihi mentions that he's seen multiple interviews with Takayashi Sato where he says that Mary is in the trunk of James' car in the beginning(?) of the game. I'm pretty sure we all know that in the 'In Water' ending, James puts Mary's body in his car, and drives into the lake, drowning himself.

Second, Shinju (that's probably not spelled right). Or, "Family Suicide". In Japan, there is a "Social practice" called Shinju. Shinju is where, a man will murder his wife, usually by suffocation with a pillow (hint hint) or drowning. Same goes for the kids, if there are kids. Then, the man will off himself by driving into water, and, of course, drowning.

Third, (NOTE: I have not played SH4 myself, so this is just what I've been told by multiple people) apparently there is a scene in Silent Hill 4, where Frank Sunderland (presumably James' father) mentions that his son, James, and James' wife, Mary, disappeared in Silent Hill.

Lastly (To be honest I'm not even sure if the novelization is canon or not, so this one might be irrelevant) in the novelization of the game, 'In Water' is how the book ends.

Thanks for reading this if you did, and if you disagree, please leave a reply.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: 'In Water' and the evidence that I believe makes it poss

Post by AuraTwilight »

All endings are equally valid to the creators. There's suicidal symbolism throughout the game, but also ones of acceptance and moving on, along with delusion and escape with reality. James drove to town with plans of suicide, but his experiences in Silent Hill can be interpreted as his final doubts and his coming to terms with whichever decision he decides to take. There is no True Ending.

SH4 does indeed have such a scene, but it doesn't matter; in every ending except Leave it'd be impossible for James to return anyway, and even then he probably wouldn't want to face his father after what he did.

The novel isn't canon.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
HeartlessBastard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by HeartlessBastard »

I make AT's words my own. In fact, I'm pretty tired of people trying to prove In Walter as the real ending. If there's evidence to any ending, it would be Rebirth.
"Good people should love their enemies" - Seu Madruga
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

HeartlessBastard wrote:I make AT's words my own. In fact, I'm pretty tired of people trying to prove In Walter as the real ending. If there's evidence to any ending, it would be Rebirth.
All endings are equal, but some are more equal than others?
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

The "evidence" you've posted, Xassis, while interesting to think about (and always has been), doesn't mean the ending is true whatsoever.
Sure, it's a possible ending. But it's not closer to being true than the others, and I actually feel there are other endings that would be closer candidates to being true.

I didn't know about "shinju," so that's interesting.
Last edited by phantomess on 06 Jan 2015, edited 1 time in total.
HeartlessBastard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by HeartlessBastard »

Typographenia wrote:
HeartlessBastard wrote:I make AT's words my own. In fact, I'm pretty tired of people trying to prove In Walter as the real ending. If there's evidence to any ending, it would be Rebirth.
All endings are equal, but some are more equal than others?
Sorry, that's not what I meant. I meant that, if evidences lead to such a conclusion (That SH2 has a canon ending), the ending should be Rebirth. After all, Born from a Wish is all about the Rebirth ending.
"Good people should love their enemies" - Seu Madruga
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

Leave, Maria, In-Water, and Rebirth... they're all possible. They're all canonical. They're all equally true. And they're all equally untrue. It's like the famed story "The Lady or the Tiger": there is no "true" ending.

It is true that Born From a Wish connects with concepts featured in the Rebirth ending, but does not verify it. It just provides an element of cohesiveness to the overall story.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

All of the endings are valid, as there is no sequel you can go with whatever ones you think fit the story best.

I will say this though:

The DEVS themselves stated some time ago that the "UFO" endings are JOKE endings so you shouldn't try to say that they are legitimate or Canon because I don't think they intended them to be taken seriously at all.
Tuniko
Just Passing Through

Post by Tuniko »

Well, for me, In Water it's the ending that "better fits" with the game history.

Just my opinion.
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

Well, if I was in the same situation, in water would probably be my "solution".
Who's the man? Me!!
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

I agree, the Dog and UFO endings should not be considered to be in any way canonical. They just exist to provide a lighthearted counterpoint to a dark and scary game, one that does not offer an actual happy ending.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]