Does maria ruin the game?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Xev
Historical Society Historian

Re: Does maria ruin the game?

Post by Xev »

Maria is a perfect addition to this game- it brings you that much closer to the actual issue why James is there in the first place. I mean really why was there another game spawned from this character alone? Could you imagine an Eileen sub game? While I loved Eileen, she was an innocent bystander included in Walter's head games, still was capable of at least defending herself but this was undermined by the fact it honestly slowed you down incredibly which dissolved for the most part, her usefulness in any area where ghosts were present.. but anyway. they did not do this to Maria. She is there to remind James. She cannot be ignored and that is inherently why he's there in the first place. I like her presence there and in a way he cannot get away from her voice and thoughts in his mind: black fairy So she does not hinder the game at all. Essentially she is only there in key points ~reminding
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

Maria is a facet of the Silent Hill 2 experience, counterbalanced by Pyramid Head on the other side: both are creations of James's psyche, generated for the purpose of punishing himself. Because they are opposite sides of the same coin, one is almost pointless without the other. In an alternative theory, Maria was created to distract James from the truth, while Pyramid Head exists to force him to acknowledge it (making PH, ironically, the "good guy" of the pair).

Their point and counterpoint is similar to the three-way balance between Laura, Angela, and Eddie that also exists. Laura represents the path of self-dedication that leads to "Leave". Angela is all about the path to self-destruction that initiates "In-Water". Eddie embodies the path to self-delusion that brings about "Maria".
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Tuniko
Just Passing Through

Post by Tuniko »

Maria it is Mary with things that she never had.. Like more "sex appeal" ....

For me its pretty clear that Maria is essential to the game... Maria is kind of a creation of James mind... Thats why the Sub Cenario of the SH2 Restless Dreams is called " Born from a wish " ... It means, Maria were created from a "wish" of James, a wish to have Mary back....