Help! I want to play SH2 but having difficulties.

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Flynn-exe
Just Passing Through

Help! I want to play SH2 but having difficulties.

Post by Flynn-exe »

*Sorry If I've posted this in the wrong place idk*
I've been wanting to play Silent Hill 2 for a while now but there have been things holding me back.
First off, my ps2 has a laser problem. It doesn't read and damages a lot of games I put into it. So it would play off the bat but I don't know whether it will break midway through my playthrough and I'd have to buy another one. Plus, PAL copies on ps2 are around £10 - £20 each.
Then there's the Xbox version. I have a 360 but I heard the backwards compatability on SH2 is horrendous and breaks the immersion.
Alternatively, there's the PC version which I've been told is the definitive version. Although, physical copies are extremely pricy on ebay and amazon. I've seen some go up to £50 - £100.
On the other hand, there's the HD collection. This I know for a fact is the worst possible way you can play the game but, ironically for me, is the most accessible version.
Finally, there's emulation. This isn't practical for me as my computer is a piece of shit. The frame-rate chugs every few seconds; for me unplayable.
So what should I do?
Thanks - Flynn
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Re: Help! I want to play SH2 but having difficulties.

Post by phantomess »

Well, if you want to know my opinion, get another PS2. If you have any local stores that sell used gaming merchandise, you can get one that's guaranteed to work or get a refund. You can also get one online if that's not an option.

Playstation is the home console of the SH series, so you'll never go wrong with that. And then you'll also have a working PS2 for all your other PS2/PS1 games. Having one that won't read and/or damages a lot of games you put into it is unacceptable- don't you want to replace it?

Of course, it's up to you. But that's definitely what I'd do. I had to replace my PS2 a little while back- didn't hesitate.

Edit: I don't know much about this, but perhaps you could have your PS2 fixed (or sell/give it to someone who can). With the console being retired and all, saving ones that can be saved is a worthwhile thing to do. So you might want to look into that.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

I agree with phantomess on pretty much everything.

If I were you I'd just sell the broken PS2, for cheap, to a pawn shop or something and get the money to buy a used console but, this time, without any problems. Should be cheap nowadays.
Flynn-exe
Just Passing Through

Post by Flynn-exe »

phantomess wrote:Well, if you want to know my opinion, get another PS2. If you have any local stores that sell used gaming merchandise, you can get one that's guaranteed to work or get a refund. You can also get one online if that's not an option.

Playstation is the home console of the SH series, so you'll never go wrong with that. And then you'll also have a working PS2 for all your other PS2/PS1 games. Having one that won't read and/or damages a lot of games you put into it is unacceptable- don't you want to replace it?

Of course, it's up to you. But that's definitely what I'd do. I had to replace my PS2 a little while back- didn't hesitate.

Edit: I don't know much about this, but perhaps you could have your PS2 fixed (or sell/give it to someone who can). With the console being retired and all, saving ones that can be saved is a worthwhile thing to do. So you might want to look into that.
Thanks for the help! I'm going to look into buying another PS2 and maybe selling my old one. Fixing it seems a bit far fetched for me as theres no stores near me that repair PS2s anymore. Plus, buying another seems easier as they go for relatively cheap. And again, Thank you for replying :)
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

^You're welcome! I hope you can find someone to take your PS2 who can have it fixed, so it can live on.
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Alexius Corvinus »

I agree. The PS2 is the system for SH2, IMO.
Flynn-exe
Just Passing Through

Post by Flynn-exe »

For anyone interested from reading this old post - I ended up taking the advice and playing it on PS2 (I got the director's cut version) and started on the 1st Jan 2018 and finished on the 11th Jan 2018. I played on Action Normal and Riddle Easy, it took me roughly 8 hours and my ending was 'In Water'.

I really liked the dynamics between the characters and loved the overall story. Quite alot of the symbolism I feel I got alright, though I can imagine all the other aspects and layers that flew over my head. I kinda wish I didn't see the 'twist' coming, but I do appreciate what the game did in terms of its endings. My take was 'In Water' is the ending for which James is punished for his sins (which is what he set out to do initially by coming to the town, so in a way he achieves his ultimate goal, tragically). 'Leave' is James finding atonement for his sins. And 'Maria' is James not fully owning up to his sins - instead choosing to live through a grasp at happiness that is mostly false.

Anyway, this has probably all been said before lol. The game has been out for 16 years. But I just thought I'd share. Happy New Year! SH3 is up next for me :P
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Glad you got to play the game! Congratulations on beating it. Man, it took me way longer than that to play through the older SH games for the first time. Lol