Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 23 Oct 2020

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Concerning the Map...

Missing since: 01 Apr 2006
Notes left: 63
Last seen at: Broken Computer Chair
I just noticed something... On the map, there is no hospital. It's not labeled But, there is a lable for Heaven's Night and that flower shop... Just logically, for a town map, why would that be?

Think there's an actual reason or was it just a Konami "meh"?

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Aug 2006
Notes left: 1775
Last seen at: Rhode Island
That is a good question. Maybe to just make it not so obvious? :|

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
Or James blocking that particular hospital from his memory? ;)

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

LanceS133 wrote:
That is a good question. Maybe to just make it not so obvious? :|

Mmm.. I dunno about that one. After all, everything else important seemed labled... Just not the hospital... And think about it. For any city, would the Hospital want to be totally obvious? Signs?

Never thought about that, Krist... Maybe the map is fake, too! :0[/b]

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Feb 2007
Notes left: 1367
Spirit wrote:
For any city, would the Hospital want to be totally obvious? Signs?

You would assume so, but maybe Silent Hill's hostpital is private; only for residences. And the hospital isn't mentioned on the map because the map wasn't made in the town [of Silent Hill]. :?

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19439
Last seen at: #lfk
>Think there's an actual reason or was it just a Konami "meh"?
Mary stayed there.

This passage in particular:
I wrote:
There are several other interesting things to note about Brookhaven Hospital. One is on the map James carries—or what isn’t on the map. Brookhaven, as a building, a little purple dot, is present, just south of Heaven’s Night—also on the map. What’s peculiar is that Brookhaven Hospital isn’t named on the map; there’s nothing to indicate that it’s a hospital. According to this theory, the reason Mary states “We promised to go there someday, the two of us, but because of me, it never came true” is because James didn’t come to Brookhaven with Mary, but instead, Mary came alone—thus: they didn’t go together, so not just “the two of us.” And, if that’s the case, could it be that the reason Brookhaven doesn’t show up on the map is because of James’ memory repression? and that, to him, it was just another building on a map? Heather carries the same map as James, but to her, Brookhaven Hospital is clearly marked. Why, then, would it not be for James? and James only?

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Feb 2007
Notes left: 1367
I wrote:
There are several other interesting things to note about Brookhaven Hospital. One is on the map James carries—or what isn’t on the map. Brookhaven, as a building, a little purple dot, is present, just south of Heaven’s Night—also on the map. What’s peculiar is that Brookhaven Hospital isn’t named on the map; there’s nothing to indicate that it’s a hospital. According to this theory, the reason Mary states “We promised to go there someday, the two of us, but because of me, it never came true” is because James didn’t come to Brookhaven with Mary, but instead, Mary came alone—thus: they didn’t go together, so not just “the two of us.” And, if that’s the case, could it be that the reason Brookhaven doesn’t show up on the map is because of James’ memory repression? and that, to him, it was just another building on a map? Heather carries the same map as James, but to her, Brookhaven Hospital is clearly marked. Why, then, would it not be for James? and James only?
[/quote]
That makes so much more sense now. :)

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Jun 2007
Notes left: 58
Last seen at: The Great Dairy State
The hospital isn't on SH2's map of South Vale, but for some reason it is on SH3's...>_>

Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11057
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
It was just explained why.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 490
Read The Adversary's quote. He just said that, and pretty much said why.

Also, concerning maps: the map in Neeley's.

Is it a recycled James, Ernest, or some random tourist? Rather, let me add onto that: whose do you think it was, since it would be impossible to say for certain whose.

I'd always found it to be a bitter, fitting sort of irony if it were a recycled James'.

Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Aug 2006
Notes left: 1775
Last seen at: Rhode Island
That is so awesome. Such a minor detail but SOO effective :shock:

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

So, that was suppressed along with [spoiler]the fact that he killed Mary not to long ago?[/spoiler] Makes sense... So then the map wasn't real? He made it with his thoughts like the letter? Or did his mind just refuse to see the "Brookhaven Hospital" on it...

You know, Sionnan, I've read about that before but I can never remember whether it was Mary or Ernest... >.>

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 04 Sep 2007
Notes left: 198
Last seen at: Room 303
Spirit wrote:
So, that was suppressed along with [spoiler]the fact that he killed Mary not to long ago?[/spoiler] Makes sense... So then the map wasn't real? He made it with his thoughts like the letter? Or did his mind just refuse to see the "Brookhaven Hospital" on it...

Personally, I'd say it boils down to a judgement call.
Although I'm more inclined towards the theory that James' subconscious blocked out "Brookhaven Hospital".
Of course, that also depends on your definition of "real"...
After all, how "real" are you talking? The foggy/dark Silent Hill isn't the "real" town, so does that make the map any less "real"?

See, that's what Silent Hill's been missing: scantily clad bitches. Silent Hill 5 will feature an all-female cast of hyper-sexualized lifeguards and camp counselors stranded at Toluca lake. One of the puzzles will require that the player swap the characters' bathing suits, and you will be able to pursue a lesbian love story side-plot on Next Fear.

Post subject:

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
Well if landmarks like hospitals can "disappear" from the map then yes, I personally believe it makes the map less real. A copy of something from reality but.. you know.. not the same thing. Like Silent Hill.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Jul 2006
Notes left: 531
Everything in the foggy Silent Hill at that particular moment is more real to James than what's in the quiet tourist trap (no pun intended lol) Silent Hill that most people experience. Reality is subjective. :roll:

Post subject:

Missing since: 26 Dec 2004
Notes left: 2566
Last seen at: Insomnia land, where I am Queen!
You know, I never noticed it wasn't marked in one game but not the other. Maybe he blocked it out because it is a hospital in general, and he hates hospitals. I still don't subscribe to the theory that Mary ever stayed at Brookhaven, despite St. Thomas/The Adversary's excellent wording and arguements saying she did. :)

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Jul 2004
Notes left: 552
Last seen at: Orlando, Florida
I really liked his attention to detail, too, the meaning behind the glass shattering was a puzzle to me until he threw that in. It really really works with one problem.

His version of the letter to Laura does not echo the one I am reading right now on my TV screen. The letter doesn't say she's leaving the hospital. It says, "I'm far away now, in a quiet beautiful place."

Also isn't Ashfield on the outskirts of Silent Hill? If so, then she's not really far away either, and I don't see why she'd say she is far away if she's just a few miles away. But it could easily be a translation error, so I don't know.

I don't know if she stayed at brookhaven, but I do like the idea. The most effective part of that argument was Maria's supposed reaction to the otherside first floor. But on this playthrough I didn't bring her down, so I didn't get to see it for myself. I need to do that one of these days.

When you think about it "I'm here now, waiting for you" does not make sense when we realize that Mary's letter is real at the end of the game...and it's long as hell. Why would she say she's in Silent Hill waiting for James? This theory, which is pretty much rock solid, clears that up. She wrote the letter to James in Brookhaven hospital while she was waiting for him to take her home. But the letter was intended to be read after she died.

But yeah I have no idea how he got the letter...or if he ever actually did.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19439
Last seen at: #lfk
>His version of the letter to Laura does not echo the one I am reading right now
Because the Japanese script is different from the English translation.

>Also isn't Ashfield on the outskirts of Silent Hill?
No. It's a "half-day's drive" from Silent Hill.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Gravedigger
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Jul 2004
Notes left: 552
Last seen at: Orlando, Florida
That's what I thought, about the translation. That must present a lot of problems in many people's interpretations of the game. Are there any translation guides?

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Jun 2007
Notes left: 694
That may explain why James is such a wuss.