Concerning the Map...

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Spirit
Just Passing Through

Concerning the Map...

Post by Spirit »

I just noticed something... On the map, there is no hospital. It's not labeled But, there is a lable for Heaven's Night and that flower shop... Just logically, for a town map, why would that be?

Think there's an actual reason or was it just a Konami "meh"?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Spira99/Pyramid_idol1SM.jpg[/img]
“We have hated the French for years. Now you have just joined the club. It makes you much more likable.”
LanceS133
Historical Society Historian

Post by LanceS133 »

That is a good question. Maybe to just make it not so obvious? :|
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Or James blocking that particular hospital from his memory? ;)
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Spirit
Just Passing Through

Post by Spirit »

LanceS133 wrote:That is a good question. Maybe to just make it not so obvious? :|
Mmm.. I dunno about that one. After all, everything else important seemed labled... Just not the hospital... And think about it. For any city, would the Hospital want to be totally obvious? Signs?

Never thought about that, Krist... Maybe the map is fake, too! :0[/b]
“We have hated the French for years. Now you have just joined the club. It makes you much more likable.”
der Morgenstern Czigany
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by der Morgenstern Czigany »

Spirit wrote: For any city, would the Hospital want to be totally obvious? Signs?
You would assume so, but maybe Silent Hill's hostpital is private; only for residences. And the hospital isn't mentioned on the map because the map wasn't made in the town [of Silent Hill]. :?
[img]http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/Isis-Osiris-Horus/RestlessDreams.jpg[/img]
[size=84]*Feel free to browse: http://www.youtube.com/89Winters .[/size]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Think there's an actual reason or was it just a Konami "meh"?
Mary stayed there.

This passage in particular:
I wrote:There are several other interesting things to note about Brookhaven Hospital. One is on the map James carries—or what isn’t on the map. Brookhaven, as a building, a little purple dot, is present, just south of Heaven’s Night—also on the map. What’s peculiar is that Brookhaven Hospital isn’t named on the map; there’s nothing to indicate that it’s a hospital. According to this theory, the reason Mary states “We promised to go there someday, the two of us, but because of me, it never came true” is because James didn’t come to Brookhaven with Mary, but instead, Mary came alone—thus: they didn’t go together, so not just “the two of us.” And, if that’s the case, could it be that the reason Brookhaven doesn’t show up on the map is because of James’ memory repression? and that, to him, it was just another building on a map? Heather carries the same map as James, but to her, Brookhaven Hospital is clearly marked. Why, then, would it not be for James? and James only?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
der Morgenstern Czigany
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by der Morgenstern Czigany »

I wrote:There are several other interesting things to note about Brookhaven Hospital. One is on the map James carries—or what isn’t on the map. Brookhaven, as a building, a little purple dot, is present, just south of Heaven’s Night—also on the map. What’s peculiar is that Brookhaven Hospital isn’t named on the map; there’s nothing to indicate that it’s a hospital. According to this theory, the reason Mary states “We promised to go there someday, the two of us, but because of me, it never came true” is because James didn’t come to Brookhaven with Mary, but instead, Mary came alone—thus: they didn’t go together, so not just “the two of us.” And, if that’s the case, could it be that the reason Brookhaven doesn’t show up on the map is because of James’ memory repression? and that, to him, it was just another building on a map? Heather carries the same map as James, but to her, Brookhaven Hospital is clearly marked. Why, then, would it not be for James? and James only?
[/quote]
That makes so much more sense now. :)
[img]http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/Isis-Osiris-Horus/RestlessDreams.jpg[/img]
[size=84]*Feel free to browse: http://www.youtube.com/89Winters .[/size]
Ekamp
Just Passing Through

Post by Ekamp »

The hospital isn't on SH2's map of South Vale, but for some reason it is on SH3's...>_>
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

It was just explained why.
Sionnan
Gravedigger

Post by Sionnan »

Read The Adversary's quote. He just said that, and pretty much said why.

Also, concerning maps: the map in Neeley's.

Is it a recycled James, Ernest, or some random tourist? Rather, let me add onto that: whose do you think it was, since it would be impossible to say for certain whose.

I'd always found it to be a bitter, fitting sort of irony if it were a recycled James'.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

That is so awesome. Such a minor detail but SOO effective :shock:
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Spirit
Just Passing Through

Post by Spirit »

So, that was suppressed along with
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
the fact that he killed Mary not to long ago?
Makes sense... So then the map wasn't real? He made it with his thoughts like the letter? Or did his mind just refuse to see the "Brookhaven Hospital" on it...

You know, Sionnan, I've read about that before but I can never remember whether it was Mary or Ernest... >.>
Saourealis
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Saourealis »

Spirit wrote:So, that was suppressed along with
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
the fact that he killed Mary not to long ago?
Makes sense... So then the map wasn't real? He made it with his thoughts like the letter? Or did his mind just refuse to see the "Brookhaven Hospital" on it...
Personally, I'd say it boils down to a judgement call.
Although I'm more inclined towards the theory that James' subconscious blocked out "Brookhaven Hospital".
Of course, that also depends on your definition of "real"...
After all, how "real" are you talking? The foggy/dark Silent Hill isn't the "real" town, so does that make the map any less "real"?
[quote="JuriDawn"]See, that's what Silent Hill's been missing: scantily clad bitches. Silent Hill 5 will feature an all-female cast of hyper-sexualized lifeguards and camp counselors stranded at Toluca lake. One of the puzzles will require that the player swap the characters' bathing suits, and you will be able to pursue a lesbian love story side-plot on Next Fear.[/quote]
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Well if landmarks like hospitals can "disappear" from the map then yes, I personally believe it makes the map less real. A copy of something from reality but.. you know.. not the same thing. Like Silent Hill.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

Everything in the foggy Silent Hill at that particular moment is more real to James than what's in the quiet tourist trap (no pun intended lol) Silent Hill that most people experience. Reality is subjective. :roll:
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

You know, I never noticed it wasn't marked in one game but not the other. Maybe he blocked it out because it is a hospital in general, and he hates hospitals. I still don't subscribe to the theory that Mary ever stayed at Brookhaven, despite St. Thomas/The Adversary's excellent wording and arguements saying she did. :)
Smokey
Gravedigger

Post by Smokey »

I really liked his attention to detail, too, the meaning behind the glass shattering was a puzzle to me until he threw that in. It really really works with one problem.

His version of the letter to Laura does not echo the one I am reading right now on my TV screen. The letter doesn't say she's leaving the hospital. It says, "I'm far away now, in a quiet beautiful place."

Also isn't Ashfield on the outskirts of Silent Hill? If so, then she's not really far away either, and I don't see why she'd say she is far away if she's just a few miles away. But it could easily be a translation error, so I don't know.

I don't know if she stayed at brookhaven, but I do like the idea. The most effective part of that argument was Maria's supposed reaction to the otherside first floor. But on this playthrough I didn't bring her down, so I didn't get to see it for myself. I need to do that one of these days.

When you think about it "I'm here now, waiting for you" does not make sense when we realize that Mary's letter is real at the end of the game...and it's long as hell. Why would she say she's in Silent Hill waiting for James? This theory, which is pretty much rock solid, clears that up. She wrote the letter to James in Brookhaven hospital while she was waiting for him to take her home. But the letter was intended to be read after she died.

But yeah I have no idea how he got the letter...or if he ever actually did.
If you can read this, I'll kill you.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>His version of the letter to Laura does not echo the one I am reading right now
Because the Japanese script is different from the English translation.

>Also isn't Ashfield on the outskirts of Silent Hill?
No. It's a "half-day's drive" from Silent Hill.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Smokey
Gravedigger

Post by Smokey »

That's what I thought, about the translation. That must present a lot of problems in many people's interpretations of the game. Are there any translation guides?
If you can read this, I'll kill you.
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

That may explain why James is such a wuss.