Those pesky moths!

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Reverie
Just Passing Through

Post by Reverie »

In a way, they can be both moths and butterflies. That particular boss reminds me of an Aztecan goddess--I can't remember who, but I'll try to Google her and get back to you on that later--which had something to do with black moths, and knives in the mouth and genitalia. Or something like that. Just like Marya at the end.

Also, depending on what ending you get the boss is either Mary or Maria (only Mary if you get the Maria ending). So the Maria being the butterfly and Mary being the moth, they could be black moths/butterflies either way. Which is what I think Konami was going for.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to for do an information dump on that goddess.

Ninja Edit Found the name: Itzpapalotl, the Obsidian Butterfly Maiden, or, according to Wikipedia, the "fearsome skeleton goddess".
Only one dirt-road to Perdition.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I also loved the unexplained red aura in that room.

Funny how different people interpret it - I had for some reason interpreted it as that room belonging to somebody who kept butterflies, or that there were some dead ones from a collection had some to life or something. Part of me remembers seeing a display case with butterfly specimens on it, even though there's clearly none there, it was so dark I must have filled it in with my mind!
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
From_Hell
Just Passing Through

Post by From_Hell »

Remember Heather's little run-in with moths?

I like how she nearly poisons herself in an effort to get rid of a cloud of harmless little moths. Girl has issues.
vivica_cherry
Just Passing Through

Post by vivica_cherry »

MMY wrote:Close. Maria is the butterfly, true--check her tattoo--but Mary, instead, is the caterpillar: the creature that becomes the butterfly. The cocoon: Death.
That's a really interesting way to look at it. I didn't think of it like that before. Cool.
Returbuliz
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Returbuliz »

As MMY mentioned.
It symbolizes Rebirth & reincarnation imo.
From the ill Mary (the moth) to the attractive Maria (the butterfly).
Based on Mary's appearance in her final days I guess it makes sense.
Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die
Sionnan
Gravedigger

Post by Sionnan »

Randomly, I remembered some info from the book Silence of the Lambs, which is relevant here.

"Moth" used to be a verb for anything that silently and gradually consumes and destroys anything else.

Also- good info Reverie.
Dr. Eggnog

Post by Dr. Eggnog »

jimbo wrote:i prefer the idea of moths anyway, buttrflies are 'cute' but moths are like the darker more sinister cousins!!

Sinister? Moths are adorable!!

And I love that effect with the flashlight. So cool.
jimbo
Just Passing Through

Post by jimbo »

I've got no problem with Moths. In comparison tho, Butterflies are pretty, graceful things and Moths are too but.... just 'darker' (for want of a better word)
Kind of Butterflies of the night.

Know what i mean?

Anyone..... :?
Red Pyramid Headed Dude
pisces9397
Just Passing Through

Post by pisces9397 »

I second that.
I have a chainsaw in my pocket. -Owl_Waxer
Weyoun
Just Passing Through

Post by Weyoun »

It was the butterfly, I tell you, THE BUTTERFLY!
LanceS133
Historical Society Historian

Re:

Post by LanceS133 »

The Adversary wrote:Close. Maria is the butterfly, true--check her tattoo--but Mary, instead, is the caterpillar: the creature that becomes the butterfly. The cocoon: Death.
I agree with this but then if the butterflies are Maria then who are the moths? And why are they killing Maria? Theoretically of course.

At first I thought the moths were Maria, killing the butterfly - Mary.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."