Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 26 Nov 2020

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Post subject:

St. Thomas wrote:
>"I killed a human being... A human being."
What makes you think he's necessarily talking about Eddie?...

He says it right after killing Eddie. He drops by his side and says it.
Plus...

[spoiler]He hadn't realized he killed Mary yet. [/spoiler]

Sure, it was in the back of his mind, but he hadn't been brought to the realization. So I always thought it HAD to have been Eddie he was talking about..

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19439
Last seen at: #lfk
Yes, but he says it remorsefully--he didn't give a crap about Eddie.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Post subject:

St. Thomas wrote:
Yes, but he says it remorsefully--he didn't give a crap about Eddie.

Hmmm... very true.
I always just assumed he did. -shrug-
Good point.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject: Re: Significance of Two PH's?

Missing since: 20 Jun 2006
Notes left: 673
Last seen at: Minnesota
Biomechanical wrote:
[edit] This thread was originally called "did james have an accomplice" I decided to change it to encompass a broader topic because I felt like people were steppin all over my "crimson rusty eggs"

Ok, so at the end, you fight two PH guys. Do you think this means anything?

I don't know if it's been said but what the hell.

Yes it dose, PH is there to punish James for his crime of killing mary, the other PH is for punishing him of his second crime,killing Eddie.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 08 Jan 2006
Notes left: 4060
Last seen at: Carrollton, TX
It has been said, make sure you read through the whole thread. :wink:

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Oh, damn :( . I will next time.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Missing since: 10 May 2006
Notes left: 652
Last seen at: San Luis Obispo, CA
Xigz wrote:
Yes it dose, PH is there to punish James for his crime of killing mary, the other PH is for punishing him of his second crime,killing Eddie.

Those roles of both Pyramid Heads are disputable, don't assume that they're true.

There is another theory I heard that Pyramid Head is a "tough-love" sort of guidance for James (he repeatedly kills Maria, who tries to distract James from his search for Mary). As for the second Pyramid Head popping up because he feels guilty for killing Eddie... Meh, I'm not so sure about that theory.

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

I never said they where 100% true, did I?

Biomechanical wrote:
[edit] This thread was originally called "did james have an accomplice" I decided to change it to encompass a broader topic because I felt like people were steppin all over my "crimson rusty eggs"

Ok, so at the end, you fight two PH guys. Do you think this means anything?

one for mary and the other for eddie.

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11058
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Neither the egg nor the second Pyramid Head have anything to do with Eddie. As stated, James feels no more than momentary remorse for killing Eddie, and with good reason; he was attacked. The killing was one of pure, unadulterated self-defense.

The second Pyramid Head appears after the revelations of Room 312, in accordance with the theory swedish referred to. 100% true? Not necessarily, though likely. Makes far more sense than the "eddie" explanation, though.

Post subject:

alone in the town wrote:
Neither the egg nor the second Pyramid Head have anything to do with Eddie. As stated, James feels no more than momentary remorse for killing Eddie, and with good reason; he was attacked. The killing was one of pure, unadulterated self-defense.

The second Pyramid Head appears after the revelations of Room 312, in accordance with the theory swedish referred to. 100% true? Not necessarily, though likely. Makes far more sense than the "eddie" explanation, though.

i still don't get it.

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Mar 2006
Notes left: 418
neither do I. And believe me I should do.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 Jun 2006
Notes left: 60
look it up on wikipedia if you dont have a clue

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Apr 2006
Notes left: 680
Last seen at: Dear Dirty Dublin
Wikipedia is very, very unreliable, in other words, it's crap.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Sep 2006
Notes left: 11
Last seen at: Grapevine,Texas
Another reason why the Eddie thing doesn't work is because after he kills Eddie he says "i killed a human being...Mary" he says mary out of nowhere he was talking about Mary.

I always thought that the 2 PH's at the end was to match the ceremony of a execution (remember the picture of 2 PH's at the prison for a execution?) that Maria wasn't needed anymore for james and the PH did that for him.There was only one PH he kinda split up i guess some how because I it is wierd i used a pistol and shot at one for a experiment because i thought both of them were taking damge,and i was right i shot at one the entire time they both killed themselves.That is what i think anyway if i'm wrong forgive me

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Erm, no, Scott. The PH fight is timed. Even if you don't do anything, it eventually ends.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 05 Sep 2006
Notes left: 11
Last seen at: Grapevine,Texas
wow i didn't know that but it did seem that both of them were taking the damage the fight wasn't that long probably a few minutes,but hey thanks for correcting me.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Aug 2006
Notes left: 5
Hmmmmm... not sure where to start with this.

Pyramid Head Kills Maria Twice (in the presence of James ofcourse.)
The first time James is helpless to do anything.
The second time, James is again helpless to do anything but it's also in the manner of an execution, I'm pretty sure at this point James also says something, I can't quite remember fully what it is but I think it's along the lines of "No, No more..."

The appearance of the Second Pyramid head really doesn't appear to have much to do with Eddie aside mistranslation; He doesn't give a crap about killing Eddie and he isn't refering to Eddie when he speaks of "killing a human" (He is fully aware that he killed Mary, and always has been, this information is witheld from the player for the sake of making James' blatant denial appear so strongly when you complete the game)

I've always had trouble explaining the Crimson Egg and the Rusty Egg, I came up with the possibility that James' new, self-created, feelings for Maria were perhaps symbolized in the Crimson Egg, where as his former, true feelings for Mary were symbolized in the Rusty Egg.
However, this could be very wrong and they could infact symbolize the mental state of James, this can also be tied in with the existence of Pyramid Head, (slight tangent for explanation purpose) Pyramid Head seemingly has no real intention to Hurt James nor can James defeat Pyramid Head, both battles are Entirely Timed... Pyramid Head only seems to begin attacking James aside from the battles when he is attempting to stop James progress. It's possibly that Pyramid Head is there as a form of Punishment (excuse the bad pun) to force James to Remeber he killed Mary. James' slow acceptal of the truth can be considered the return of his sanity.
Rusty for Denial, Crimson for Acceptance.

I have never seen any reason in Silent Hill 2 as to why we were to assume there was only ONE Pyramid Head up until the second is introduced so it is entirely possible that there are indeed two all along. Perhaps you do not bump in to the same one over and over again, but instead run in to multiple Pyramid Heads?

Ofcourse, I could be completely wrong. I'm entirely open to being beaten down now. =]

edit : I also haven't really covered the possible Importance of having Two Pyramid Head's appear at once, apart from slight hints in that it's to prevent him admitting his sins and lifting his denial.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:

Missing since: 11 Sep 2005
Notes left: 231
alone in the town wrote:

Killing in self-defense has nothing to do with whether or not you feel remorse over your actions. Whether the act was justified or not, people still feel guilty over things like that happening. Take Hiroshima for instance. It is much debated whether or not bombing the place was a justified action, but say that it was for the sake of this argument. Do people not feel remorse over it even though they had a reason for doing so? It may be the same with James in regards to Eddie. I'm not exactly defending this theory, but I am defending equating the action (or in James' case) the reaction of killing Eddie with the emotion and guilt James may be feeling inside after doing so.

Also, James having just momentary remorse is debatable in itself because the only way to prove that it was just momentary is by saying that the second Pyramid Head has no significance towards Eddie and James' guilt over his death, which is what is being debated in the first place. It's circular...

That doesn't mean that the second Pyramid Head representing James' guilt towards Eddie is provable either, but like a lot of things, it's just open to interpretation and your opinions and perspective on the story of this game. (yeah yeah)

So yeah...Anyway, all I am going on here is that to me, James did show remorse, a heck of a lot...He got to his knees and said "I killed a human being, a human being..." But there was nothing more for him to do...He was looking for Mary, he had to move on. That doesn't mean that he no longer feels anything about it though. Maybe like Mary, the rest of it he started to bury subconsciously...who knows...?

Yeah maybe there is more to that sentence than what you first assume, in fact, I think that is true. When I played the game my second time through, I realized the irony behind James' statement... but that still doesn't defeat James having guilt over what happened right at that moment when he dropped to his knees beside Eddie's corpse. Eddie was the only human being in that room besides James, and they happen to be surrounded by hunks of meat...This also has significance...Where Eddie no longer valued human life, as if people were hunks of meat to him, just flesh and oh so fragile (pow)...James' realization that there's more to a person than that, and that being a human being...that can be killed...

Well, yes life is fragile...Maybe to some we are just hunks of meat, but we also define ourselves as human beings...Try to separate ourselves as something different...That's what tombstones are for anyway...And when we kill one another, there is something significant about the remorse we feel...So I think that to James, this was a feeling important enough for him to say aloud...I think something must have hit home there with him.

The scene has a lot of significance towards Eddie, and the plot of the game itself...So many interpretations...

The player's realization that James has already killed a human being once may even make James' lament feel heavier It is something that probably weighs heavily upon him. For him to even acknowledge it is a big step up, because we all know that James has previously blocked out the murder of his wife, which was his first human life taken. I mean, to me, killing someone, whether justifiable or not, would stick with me, and it would probably weigh on me heavily...It does weigh on James, otherwise we wouldn't have a plot in SH2...So why not with Eddie? Was James killing Mary justifiable too? In some ways it may have been, but I think the entire reason James experiences Silent Hill the way he does is because he knows he has to own up to any justification for killing Mary...So why wouldn't James be the same with Eddie to a certain extent?

This doesn't prove that the second Pyramid Head represents Eddie, but anyway, I just wanted to get that out of my system.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 16 Sep 2006
Notes left: 62
In the 3rd or 4th game you will run across a painting (drawing really) that shows an audience of worshippers in Silent Hill and MANY of the audience is dressed as pyramid head. I always thought that Pyramid Head in general was just like an executioner. I have heard many theories on why there were two in that battle but I like this one:

One for Mary's Death
One for Maria's Death(s)

Both in which James feels responsible and hopeless about, then the two P.H.'s pike themselves, a sign of frivolity.

Take it for what you want, just one theory :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next