The Whispering

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Nanjiz
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Nanjiz »

I've played it 4 times and have never heard it =(

And about the whispering, I don't think it's "wife" either.
Power and chaos!
SuriKatta
Just Passing Through

Post by SuriKatta »

Lots of people are on the right track, but I'm surprised no one's been able to phonetically decipher it yet.

As an animator, I do lip-synch on a regular basis to all sorts of vocal soundtracks. Everything from very clear tracks to very muttered and mumbled ones, stretched out and slowed down to dope sheet the phonetics of each word so I can time it into motion. Fortunately, for most all of those cases, a script is also provided. (Heh!) Unlike this case.

However, it's a much easier time when you slow it down and cut it up.

I admit a lot of it is still rather mumbled, although the words that can be used to express what is being said are practically interchangable and work with the story just the same.

Anyhow. Onto what it says.

It's quite possible that this is premeditation/the list of events in James' mind as to what he's going to do to Mary/what he has done. It COULD be that the whisper is residual as to what may have gone on in the apartment, but it is completely and totally revelant to James' situation when you think about it.

"See[Save] my dead wife come home and do[load] some laundry to escape maybe take her to the car so it saves some space."

Like I said before, a couple of the words are still a little too mumbled, but I'm 110% sure about the jist of it, especially 'maybe take her to the car so it saves some space'. Those perticular phonetics are very clear when you listen to them slowly... maybe more clear than the entire rest of it. The only reason why they sound like a large mumble is because they are very short words, and they're spoken in quick succession.

There's also the fact that if this IS a bad translation from a script that was written by someone who didn't know english, punctuation placement and word usage/term usage could also accurately/inaccurately be used and that could also change what the sentence means.

Now, to theorize on how it relates to James and Mary:

"Seeing" or "Saving" his "Dead" wife is easily related to the fact that James is "Seeing" and/or "Saving" Mary from the hospital to live the last bit of her life at home. He planned to kill Mary when she came home, in a most likely premeditated fashion (as hinted by this clue), and referred to her metaphorically as 'dead'. Kind of how someone will threaten "You're dead!" Or something. (I actually think someone mentioned this before back in the post). "Come home" is self-explainatory.

"... And do some laundry to escape..." - This is assuming the comma comes after 'escape':

It's quite possible the way he got Mary into a prime position for suffocation was to offer to wash her sheets for her, and/or he had to wash the sheets due to her staining/dirtying them. This could reasonably explain why all of the beds we see Mary/Maria lying on are very sparse: They have little to no bedspreads or pillows on them. Mostly just a mattress, or at the very least a mattress with a single sheet on it (I had always wondered why that was...).

I mean, think about it: James comes back into her room, gives her a kiss, and offers to take her pillow so that he can wash it and make it fresh with the other blankets, or to fluff it and make it fresh for her since he's doing the laundry, or brings in another pillow to switch so he can wash it. Poor unsuspecting Mary lets him deal with the pillow(s), and instead is smothered by it/one. Thus, James 'Escapes' dealing with laundry.

("Loading" laundry could mean that he is either loading laundry into a washer to wash away evidence (or what was stated above, actually DOING laundry, due to poor engrish)... or loading laundry into a car to take with him on his trip to Silent Hill. It could also be seen that he has Mary wrapped in her bedsheets, or dressed in her old clothes, placed in the car to go to SH.)

"...[to escape] maybe take her to the car so it saves some space."

Finally some definitive evidence that James has Mary in the (trunk of?) the car somewhere. Obviously this is in relation to taking her to the car so that she's not in the house, so that she's not taking up room/making him feel guilty/where people can find her. This is a good reason as to why James would slip into his idea that she's gone and died of an illness three years prior when it could have easily been 3 or 4 days prior: It's not like she's in a grave or anything. She's in his car, where he plunked her after he smothered her. She's still there. And, whether James knowingly does or not, takes her to Silent Hill with him, in the trunk of his car.

It would also make sense to a few of the endings as to why James suddenly has Mary's dead body... as the Mary we see talking to James is a figment of his imagination. She's not really real. That, and James, suddenly remembering what happened to her, suddenly recalls she's in the trunk of his car. :roll:

If you add 'to escape' on the front of it, as if the comma comes before those words, it works equally well: to escape to SH, James sticks Mary in the car. Although, he can't stick her in the front/rear seat or anything, due to being out in public, so he puts her in the trunk. ;)

Anyhoo. I'm tired of typing. If I've missed anything I'll come back and mention it. But for now, you guys' brains can chew on it for a bit. :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Alinnia/lisasig.jpg[/img]
Sionnan
Gravedigger

Post by Sionnan »

Suri, that is an awesome explanation! Thanks a bunch. It really works, I think.
PeachySakura24
Historical Society Historian

Post by PeachySakura24 »

Nicely done. I like that. It makes sense.
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

it certainly does make sense! I like it. I never would have been able to slow and cut stuff like that!
Life changes daily so go with it!
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I just had this playing over and over trying to difure out what he says, and after reading peoples theroies about it, this is what I think he says

go see dead wife, come home do some laundry, dance in the evening you can see Jimmy Carson Simpson's face
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Which room is it in? 204 of bluecreek is un-enterable.....yeah i made that word up but yeah lol.
extreme-nero
Hope House Careworker

Post by extreme-nero »

Mockingbird says it is in 204 of Woodside, and don't double post just edit your other post :)
Last edited by extreme-nero on 01 Jan 2008, edited 1 time in total.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Which room is it in? 204 of bluecreek is un-enterable
204 of Woodside, however. . . .
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I found out where it is. It's in the room where you get the staircase key. The one where you run onto the balcony into the other room. Im sure i heard it in there
crucifix
Historical Society Historian

Post by crucifix »

SuriKatta wrote:"See[Save] my dead wife come home and do[load] some laundry to escape maybe take her to the car so it saves some space."
thanks for that! i'd thought about how much easier it'd be if someone were to mess around with the clip in an audio editor when i first read the thread awhile ago. that's the most logical interpretation i've seen so far. i love all the small, easily-missed details placed in SH2.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
thenarcissuseffect
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by thenarcissuseffect »

-
Last edited by thenarcissuseffect on 09 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

we need those C.I.A sound guys from the movie "The Good Shepard" to analyze it :lol:
FatalFrame
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FatalFrame »

It sounds like Come home see my dead wife I'm surrounded by "some memories"
or
Come home see my dead wife I'm surrounded "something something sheets"

I'm not going off any theories on what it could mean or anything but me and my husband listened to it for awhile and that's what we came up with.
Are you ready to begin your trip to the Otherside
Death is an old friend of mine
Dutchman
Gravedigger

Post by Dutchman »

I've listened to it again and it still sounds like:
"See my dead wife, come home, do some laundry [...] in the cathedral, consultate some saints."
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/Ghoul68/banner_shh_4.png[/img]
Darkness Concept
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Darkness Concept »

After slowing it down and analyzing the waveform and especially the spectrogram, it's worth mentioning that there are exactly 26 syllables in the clip (thanks Mockingbird).

As for what I believe it says, I'm banking that Suri is as close as you can possibly get.
There Was a Hole Here...
[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/octaveorange/waiting.jpg[/img]
It's Gone Now.
delusion
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by delusion »

'I have never heard this before and it's freaky. I think it says in the middle "let's do some laundry" and in the end "concertation says/saves/James"
Last edited by delusion on 16 Nov 2009, edited 1 time in total.
SethSunderland
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SethSunderland »

Honestly, "lets do some laundry" isnt what I expect somone to whisper to me in a scary place.

"BOO LETS DO SOME LAUNDRY!!!"
-runs-
[img]http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5484/sethsunderlandnewdigjr5.jpg[/img]
ForteChef
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ForteChef »

Uhg, I don't know anymore. I still think it's "do some laundry" but you make a good point. Unless you're trying to distract yourself or just plain slow, who talks about laundry in something like Silent Hill. Oh well, I'm going to listen to it 5,000,000 more times and try to come up with something...again,lol.
4 pointing baby monsters, 3 numb bodies, 2 pyramid heads and a split worm? Where's my trusty blade? This one's going to be easy.
Dutchman
Gravedigger

Post by Dutchman »

It's more list of things that he needs to do when he's home again... that's why laundry was in it. Maybe trying to get rid of evidence?
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/Ghoul68/banner_shh_4.png[/img]