The Whispering

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

Dale wrote:I heard a rumor that theirs a room in the apartments were you could here someone say "behind you" or is that BS that someone mixed up with this?
there is a part in Homecoming that's like that
NothingLikeSleep

Post by NothingLikeSleep »

where

in the blue creek apartments on the first floor if you jiggle the handle on the far right door (blue door) it will jiggle back
Clash
Just Passing Through

Post by Clash »

This sounds very interesting... That's what I love about this series, there's so many secrets hidden throughout the game. You notice something new every playthrough.

I'm about to start a playthrough in SH2 later today, I'll be sure to look out for this.
bittersweet637
Just Passing Through

Post by bittersweet637 »

theres 6 video parts on youtube where u can watch some interesting things from SH2. the second video at the end, you can hear the whisper. I never heard it when I played the game but its kinda creepy. Me like

the first part,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgWtHB7XC0o
Dallow
Just Passing Through

Post by Dallow »

Heard this whispering a number of times over the years so it's cool to read some of your interpretations; it's a little too inaudible for me.

Over the last few weeks I've been playing Silent Hill 2 to go through all the endings and experience everything in the game once again. So far have done it four times and this time around only heard the whispering during the third playthrough. I think the reason why it's a bit elusive is 1. it's totally random and 2. you have to loiter around the room for a bit to trigger it.

Hella creepy though...
[img]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1982/dallow.jpg[/img]
redpyramid
Just Passing Through

Post by redpyramid »

MMY was correct and i think that it has to do with that room and the note on the door...but im not really sure if it does have anything to do with anything or anyone but im sure it does i mean its silent hill...

:twisted: RedPyramid :twisted:
[color=red][b]User was deactivated for being underage.[/b][/color]
schwilly666
Just Passing Through

Post by schwilly666 »

After seeing this thread I went on my second playthrough of the game to room 209 (the room that joins to the other (208) by a balcony), and the voice popped up without even trying, I was facing to the right (west if up is north) of the balcony entrance, positioned right of the center of the room. :shock: I didn't notice it on my first playthrough.
Clash
Just Passing Through

Post by Clash »

This is very interesting... I've never noticed that before. I'm going to be starting another playthrough tonight so I'll keep that in mind. Good find.
LSSJGamer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by LSSJGamer »

I remember this sound and turning up my TV to earblasting levels to hear it, lol. Never could understand what it said. I seem to have been able to make it happen by rushing to the room as fast as possible. I skipped all cutscenes and skipped through the memos that were scattered around. Everytime I rushed my way through seemed to make the whsipering happen. I have only played the original SH2, so no Born from a Wish or UFO ending for me.... as well as no removing the blocked text on things. :cry:
*Insert Legendary signature here*
Clash
Just Passing Through

Post by Clash »

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I'm currently playing through the original PS2 version again... And it's truly amazing! I've never actually seen the GH version anywhere. Only the internet, never at Gamestop have I seen one.
SHF
Historical Society Historian

Post by SHF »

You can take a digital recorder and record the sound from the game.
Post it here so everyone can listen to it.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
BrassPetals
Just Passing Through

Post by BrassPetals »

I took a copy of the sound file into Adobe Soundbooth, slowed it down and cleaned up some of the hiss. I posted it to my YouTube page so people could hear it. You will need headphones, unless your sound is pretty good.

Room 209 whisper, slowed down some

It is a little clearer to make out, but I still can't make out all of it.
Levanael
Just Passing Through

Re: The Whispering

Post by Levanael »

Forgive me for digging up this old thread, but I have some info to add regarding the apartment whisper that some may find useful.

I took a course in post-production for film and tv in 2006-7 and while searching for creepy sounds for a project that I was working on, came across this exact whispering and a couple variations of it in a sound effects library (which belonged to my teacher who was a professional sound editor). Being a huge SH fan I not only recognized the whisper, but made note of the name of the library and copied all variations of the whispering that were there to my hard drive. Unfortunately that hd died on me a couple years ago and I lost them.

All variations said different things but were just gibberish (walla), as Jeremy Blaustein says, but I'm convinced this whispering was not even recorded specifically for Silent Hill 2 or by any of SH2's voice actors, but rather it was taken from an existing sfx library.

I can only make out “…put in some laundry then doing something in the evening, and I can take you to the concert…” which clearly doesn't have anything to do with SH at all, but now I really wish I had those variations because this was in 2006 that I came across this sfx library so I can't entirely rule out the possibility that it was in fact first recorded for SH2 and Konami (or Yamaoka, or the voice actor himself) later sold the rights to it for inclusion in this and other sfx libraries.

That's all, hope someone finds that info useful.
Levanael
Just Passing Through

Post by Levanael »

Update to my previous post on the subject of the Blue Creek 209 whisper: I found a backup of my project with all the sound effects I ripped from the library. In addition to the Blue Creek whisper, there was also the “ritual” from the prison, which I forgot about. I’ve posted a youtube video with these files in full and as you can hear there is more to the Blue Creek whispering than what is in the game. Any processing in the clips were in the original files that I pulled from the library. The only thing I did was re-encode them from aiff to wav. I still don’t have the name of the library but the names of the files were: WhsprngMl(1)(hmnV VB-01-66 and WhsprngPrcssdWthE VB-01-67. Headphones recommended. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/g-XNFLSwruQ
Just Passing Through

Post by 911 »

That's awesome ! Thank you ! It's really nice to hear it clearly !
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

Sort of off topic but that "ritual" part is still beyond creepy especially after hearing it on that clip. Gives me even more of a reason to shoot that guy in the face.

On topic. I'm not suprised to hear that the whispering and the "ritual" are from a sound effects library since a lot of the sounds you hear in the games are obviously borrowed from libraries. A few of them I have heard outside of the games.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

I'm going to give this thread another kick, please don't kill me.
After listening to the clip on YTMND, I hear "Same old timeline, gonna come home, put some Star Trek in the CD, go to Jimmy Carson and tape some scenes." I also hear the words laundry, needle, car, cartoons,and face, so there ya go. But listening to the collection from the sound library, it makes sense that some parts are so weird because they obviously spliced some of it together, so it would explain why some of us hear multiple words in the same place. When I listen to the slower versions, I do hear "dead wife" at the beginning, though.

I would also like to add that the last time(before today) that I listened to the whisper, I was home alone and most of the lights were off, and the very second the clip ended, my cat knocked something over in the dark kitchen and scared me half to death. I listened to it just now, and again, as soon as it ended, she knocked something over right outside my door. My cat is trying to kill me. O_o
Locust163
Just Passing Through

Post by Locust163 »

Gotta love PH! Also this is great insight into this! Love o see this kinda stuff!
I, Rabbit
Just Passing Through

Re:

Post by I, Rabbit »

crucifix wrote:
SuriKatta wrote:"See[Save] my dead wife come home and do[load] some laundry to escape maybe take her to the car so it saves some space."
I don't even know if people are still bothered about this, but there's definitely more words in between 'do some laundry to escape' and 'maybe take her to the car so it saves some space'. It's like, a whole sentence is being missed out and when you try and listen for what somebody has said it says and then the mumbling continues, it throws you off. Eyes closed, dead and car pop out, I'll not attest that, but I really can't hear the full sentence and I really want to know for certain what it is, whether it's just an audio cue, albeit an odd one, or a part of James' subconscious mind. :|

Edit; probably should have read the last page before posting, just seen the sound file post. Okay, that makes a lot of sense and confirms, at least for me, it's an audio scare, but I'm still interested in what it says, because the sound file version (to me) still isn't clear.
I want to see how far I can go before I'm forced to stop.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

I forgot about the link to the sound files. I finally triggered the sound in-game, and my son asked me what on earth was whispering lol. I played the slowed-down version for him, and he had some ideas as to what it was saying as well. I don't remember what those ideas are, but he had them. :D