Meaning behind Save system?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Meaning behind Save system?

Post by Anonymous »

In relevance to Silent Hill 1 and 3, the save points had meaning. Harry wrote notes to chronolize his journey throughout the town, and in 3, Heather noticed a strange resemblance with the markings all over the place, which made her head hurt. But what on earth is that red square/slab that you have to use as James? It almost looks like a red piece of paper. Am I just over-analyzing things? Or do I just don't get it? I've always wondered.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I think in 1, they just came up with something practical.

In 2, they just made a save marker point that fit the area nicely while still being noticable

Then in 3 they went 'hey, we could tie these into the game somehow'
AnneMarie
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by AnneMarie »

Yeah, I wondered what the savepoints in SH2 signify. He says something about it giving him a weird feeling. Curiouser and curiouser!
Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door................ Locked. F*** it.
Toresson
Just Passing Through

Post by Toresson »

I've been pondering this question for quite some time now, so if anybody have any theories plz post.
there was a hole here. it's gone now.
AgentX7k
Hope House Careworker

Post by AgentX7k »

Someone said 'rips in the time', so you returning to the last place you saved is returning in time. It kind of makes sense, I have no idea what else they could be. Same as in SH3, even if Heather dies, she is resurrected, so even if she does die it is a part of the story
"The Body Is Cold?"
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

I asked about this recently, and the only thing I can think of is that it's something like filtering through thoughts and memories. James comments on how it feels like someone's groping around inside his skull, and the town calls to life a heavily suppressed memory of his. I don't know if there's an actual meaning behind it, since I was just about to argue that there isn't until I remembered having asked about it, too, but I also wouldn't think too much on the subject.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The red save points are windows from James' mind to ours: We're the ones groping around in his skull; and we're the ones controlling James on his journey. The save screen is of him staring into our reality while we stare calmly back at his.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
deadhorses
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by deadhorses »

well, they kind of look like letters...

if you get where i'm going with this.
[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/cropknok/silenthillsig.jpg[/img]

i spit up dust of what they once were and fall down. i swarm.
AnneMarie
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by AnneMarie »

St. Thomas:
The red save points are windows from James' mind to ours: We're the ones groping around in his skull; and we're the ones controlling James on his journey. The save screen is of him staring into our reality while we stare calmly back at his.
That makes perfect sense to me... windows into reality :shock: Damn, why didn't I think of that?!
Does that mean James can see me?! Wait... why do I get the feeling that the 'window' save points tie into James looking at himself in the mirror at the beginning? Or am I just wanting there to be a connection with it? Hmm...
Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door... Oh, another blocked door................ Locked. F*** it.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

AnneMarie wrote:windows into reality :shock: Damn, why didn't I think of that?!

Because it's hard to think of things with little evidence.

And yes, James sees when you touch yourself.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

There's plenty of evidence. He says it himself, for starters.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I wasn't saying you're wrong, I mean it's pretty subtle.

If you're gonna say no it's not, because he says it.. then yes he does. But it's still hard to pick up on.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

A little off-topic... Why the save-points in the four games are red?? What means the red??
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Red's.. the color of God's hair and dress?

No, really, I don't know.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Donnergott
Just Passing Through

Post by Donnergott »

St. Thomas wrote:The red save points are windows from James' mind to ours: We're the ones groping around in his skull; and we're the ones controlling James on his journey. The save screen is of him staring into our reality while we stare calmly back at his.
Noa THAT would make a cool idea for a story in SH5...!
Empty_Eyes

Post by Empty_Eyes »

Drukqs wrote:
AnneMarie wrote:windows into reality :shock: Damn, why didn't I think of that?!

Because it's hard to think of things with little evidence.

And yes, James sees when you touch yourself.
WWJD? What would James Do?
Jeklinhyd
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Jeklinhyd »

St. Thomas wrote:There's plenty of evidence. He says it himself, for starters.
I'm not saying you're wrong but I'd like to see the evidence. I can't think of anything that could have been evidence in the games to support that.
"Never accept advice from a man wearing white pants," Michael J. Nelson
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

You just quoted it. James more or less says.
Jeklinhyd
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Jeklinhyd »

Drukqs wrote:You just quoted it. James more or less says.
Oh sorry. i just wanted to know what he said.
"Never accept advice from a man wearing white pants," Michael J. Nelson
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

James tells himself "When I look at this, it feels like someone is groping around in my skull. It gives me a weird feeling." It then immediately cuts to the save screen, which is James' face, through a red screen, staring into the player. Thus: You, the player, are responsible for James' actions; and you, the player, are "groping around in [his] skull."

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.