What happens after the Leave Ending?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

What happens after the Leave Ending?

Post by Oddish »

Obviously, if any ending other than the Leave ending occurs, we know what happens. James is either dead or insane, in which case Laura is trapped in Silent Hill. She may or may not be in any danger, but she might get pretty hungry after awhile. But if our very flawed hero gets through his ordeal and the two of them go traipsing off into the mist… what then?

Some people have suggested that James decides to honor Mary’s memory by doing what she wanted to do, would have done if she’d recovered. That is to say, he adopts Laura and raises her as his own. Alas, to me, that seems doubtful. After all, he never knew her (which indicates how rare his visits to his wife really were; if she and Laura were that close, James should at least have known what she looked like). Also, their interactions were largely negative. Consider: (1) Laura stomps on James’ hand in the apartments, (2) she sasses him as he goes to the park, (3) she locks him in a room full of monsters (granted, they’re invisible to her) in the hospital, (4) she is sort of nice to him and gives him a letter in the hotel restaurant, and (5) she unloads on him in Room 312. And third, she thinks he murdered her “mother”. I seriously doubt Laura would want anything to do with James, and I don’t think his opinion of her would be much better.

Incidentally, if you think I'm wrong about this, please tell me why. I don't think I am wrong, but I would very much like to be.

A more realistic possibility is that she knew that James was the only real person leaving Silent Hill (Eddie being dead, Angela probably the same, and Maria not actually existing). Although she strikes me as a tough, independent youngster, I doubt she’d be dumb enough to get herself left alone in an empty town. So maybe she catches a ride with James, and he delivers her safely to whatever orphanage she resides at, and the two of them go their separate ways from there.

Or, most disturbing of all, what if she wasn’t planning on riding anywhere with Evil Killer James? What if she bolted as soon as the opportunity presented itself? What would happen to her then?.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>in which case Laura is trapped in Silent Hill.
how do you figure? she made it to silent hill safely, i don't know why she can't leave just as safely.

>he never knew her (which indicates how rare his visits to his wife really were
he forgot her, among other things. there's a distinct difference.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Denizen
Just Passing Through

Post by Denizen »

Various fanfictions have speculated on the leave ending.

Ryan Usher's story had James and Laura assuming new idenities and living happily with the rest of the world (including James' father) believing them disappeared or dead.

Another story had James going all psycho and killing Laura as soon as they got home.

Another had James and Laura going back to bowling alley. James goes to the restroom and is back at the restroom of the beginning of the game. And the whole thing starts all over again.
JesterDK
Just Passing Through

Post by JesterDK »

Denizen wrote: Another had James and Laura going back to bowling alley. James goes to the restroom and is back at the restroom of the beginning of the game. And the whole thing starts all over again.
That would be a pretty twisted reality.

Moreso than Silent Hill already was....
[url=http://metalgearmasters-club.1up.com][img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/daviddk_123/RedwREXMGSMB.jpg[/img][/url]
LSnow06
Just Passing Through

Post by LSnow06 »

I think since Laura could come and go as she pleased from Silent Hill, that she sorta became James guide out of the place.
I think she felt James had suffered enough and had accepted his guilt to ask for forgiveness that Laura showed pity and led him out.
Once out I do believe that he planned on taking care of her (according to Mary's wish), at least until James own selfishness kicks back in. Then who knows.
“...Where Angels Sleep in Endless Dark”
ulcain
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ulcain »

I think they go their separate ways. He probably sees her off to Child Protective Services and then dissapears.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

I'm going to go along with Ryan Usher's take. It's more or less how I think of it happening.
ForteChef
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ForteChef »

Mockingbird wrote:>in which case Laura is trapped in Silent Hill.
how do you figure? she made it to silent hill safely, i don't know why she can't leave just as safely.
Everyone makes it into Silent Hill easy. It's getting out that's the pain in the ass.
4 pointing baby monsters, 3 numb bodies, 2 pyramid heads and a split worm? Where's my trusty blade? This one's going to be easy.
alone in the town

It's certainly possible to do it, though. Harry Mason and his daughter are prime examples.
ForteChef
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ForteChef »

Quite right but Harry couldn't leave until he had gone through the trial of SH1. His daughter only made in out because of him right?
4 pointing baby monsters, 3 numb bodies, 2 pyramid heads and a split worm? Where's my trusty blade? This one's going to be easy.
alessas angel
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by alessas angel »

James adopts Laura and they live happily ever after in another bright town minus the monsters and fog :!: I love the happy endings :lol:
Life changes daily so go with it!
alone in the town

ForteChef wrote:Quite right but Harry couldn't leave until he had gone through the trial of SH1. His daughter only made in out because of him right?
I refer to the end of Silent Hill 3. It's speculation on my part, but why would Heather bury her father in the Otherside?

Also, in the final scene with Heather and Douglas, the amusement park appears normal.
ForteChef
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ForteChef »

I haven't played 3 yet
FatalFrame
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FatalFrame »

I always kind of wondered what happened with the 'Leave' ending. I'd like to think they left and what Usher was it? wrote would make the most sense to go along with James still being gone in the 4th one. It's just that they don't really look like they're leaving "together", you know? She's walking way ahead of him. And I can't really buy the totally happy ending. I'm not of the opinion that James is selfish (only someone who's watched a loved one fall apart like that could really understand his feelings) so I don't think he would harbor any animosity towards her but she has plenty of reason to hate him.
Are you ready to begin your trip to the Otherside
Death is an old friend of mine
ForteChef
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ForteChef »

they might be leaving together. Kids tend to get ahead in open area's after all. She might have just been getting ahead of him and James didn't feel like running.
FatalFrame
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FatalFrame »

Very true, After running the whole damn game I'd be pretty damn tired too! :lol: . I'm just saying I think Laura would need a looot of therapy before accepting James as a caring father figure.
Are you ready to begin your trip to the Otherside
Death is an old friend of mine
ForteChef
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ForteChef »

your probably right. I know I'd need therapy before excepting my real father, let alone someone who I'm not related to killing my mother
alone in the town

But, it's well-known that children adapt to strange situations much more readily than adults do. Children are also much more understanding of such situations, as they are less encumbered by the complexities of adult moral struggles. An adult might drive themselves crazy disseminating murder and euthanasia, but a child may be more accepting of the idea that a person has simply been helped along to a better place. Laura proves to be rather mentally adept, and it's not likely that she was ignorant of the fact that Mary was in the twilight of her living days. Certainly James' revelation provoked immediate reactions of anger and hate, but who knows what she sees, hears and understands afterwards?

I don't. But nor do I think it's coincidence that James and Laura appear to be going in the same direction with only seconds separating their passage. If Laura really still thought that James was just a murderer, she would not have gone anywhere near him.
ForteChef
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ForteChef »

Me either. I think he adopts her. In lamens terms of what you said, She's pretty mature, right? So she can see that he's atoned for it and faced it. She may have seen it. There was no room oon that room. she could have seen it from the ground, and realized that the real Mary is gone and that James has had to face that aswell.
alone in the town

I find it possible, and likely for that matter, that if James got to see Mary one last time, Laura was also allowed the opportunity.