Canon or no?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

DarkeningNightmare
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by DarkeningNightmare »

it's canon cuz travis comes back in origins
"It is the end of days, and i am the Reaper."-Dark Alessa
Droo

Post by Droo »

DarkeningNightmare wrote:it's canon cuz travis comes back in origins
What are you talking about? Travis doesn't come back in Origins, he IS Origins.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
DarkeningNightmare
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Drewfus wrote:
sorry i ment homecoming.... duh. see what sleep depravation does
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

Drewfus wrote:
Think he meant Homecoming. Of course it could be argued as to weather or not that's canon too, but whatever.
Justice has a name, and the name it has, besides justice, is Captain Hammer!
Droo

Post by Droo »

That's a slippery slope argument. Team Silent may not have made Origins or Homecoming, but as has been stated before, Team Silent itself changed over the course of 1-4. You could deny the canon of any of the games on this ground.

Konami has the final say as to what is and isn't canon. They can retcon and alter things at their leisure as the series evolves. I hate Origins more than you can imagine, but I find it difficult to deny it based solely on that fact. Fortunately, in the long run, I find the events of Origins ultimately of little impact and importance, so I can for the most part ignore it while considering it canon.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

Ehh, the idea of canon is silly anyway.
Justice has a name, and the name it has, besides justice, is Captain Hammer!
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

Not when you have multiple stories that you are trying to fit together into a coherent whole. SH: Origins fits into canon; it features how little Alessa got "split" and how Cheryl came to be. The SH movie (despite having great visual FX and being fairly true to the "three-level" nature of the town) does not, since it radically alters Dahlia's character and position in the cult, provides an alternate origin for Cheryl/Sharon, and turns Alessa from innocent victim to mass-murdering monster). Origins might have different rules, like fragile weapons and unrestricted transit between realities via the mirrors, but it fits with the overall storyline.
DarkeningNightmare
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Oddish wrote:Not when you have multiple stories that you are trying to fit together into a coherent whole. SH: Origins fits into canon; it features how little Alessa got "split" and how Cheryl came to be. The SH movie (despite having great visual FX and being fairly true to the "three-level" nature of the town) does not, since it radically alters Dahlia's character and position in the cult, provides an alternate origin for Cheryl/Sharon, and turns Alessa from innocent victim to mass-murdering monster). Origins might have different rules, like fragile weapons and unrestricted transit between realities via the mirrors, but it fits with the overall storyline.
thank you. it especially fits at the end when
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
you hear harry and his wife name the baby cheryl
so why wouldn't it be. it obviosly ties into sh1 seamlessly
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

Well... Heres what I think...

If something is part of a series, and it is in the same format as the rest of the things in that series (so this would be Silent Hill Origins, Silent Hill, Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 3, Silent Hill 4: The Room, and Silent Hill: Homecoming, the VIDEO GAMES) then it is canon. I honestly never thought I would see myself typing out that word...

The Silent Hill movie can be canon in the "movie universe" however.

But anyway... At least Origins didn't turn out to be something like Resident Evil Gaiden...
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

What about the Arcade and Silent Hill: Orphan? Are those canon, according to your rules? What if a video game was made that totally contradicted the others, like deciding, "Unfortunately, Alessa and Harry never survived the events of SH1."
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Hey... I liked tjhat game!! It feels moe ResidentEvilish than RE4 and barry Burton is the starring there!!! You can get without ammo there like the original Resident Evils!!

C'mon, you have love barry's nose and Rubber Head Leon... I love the end of this game...
BlackFire

Post by BlackFire »

Considering it's a FULL-FLEDGED GAME, I think it hould be considered canon.
BlackFire

Post by BlackFire »

AuraTwilight wrote:What about the Arcade and Silent Hill: Orphan? Are those canon, according to your rules? What if a video game was made that totally contradicted the others, like deciding, "Unfortunately, Alessa and Harry never survived the events of SH1."
Well, considering Silent Hill: Origins is an actual part of the series, I would think it's canon. It's not jut some spinoff like Orphan and Arcade.

EDIT:And I just realized that this is a double post.
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

I have never played the arcade game for myself sadly but I have watched ALMOST the entire game from beginning to end on the internet and I really didn't see anything that contradicted the story (the game was just stupid).

I did forget about Orphan when I typed out that post... I guess you got me.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I have never played the arcade game for myself sadly but I have watched ALMOST the entire game from beginning to end on the internet and I really didn't see anything that contradicted the story (the game was just stupid).
Really? Not the monsters or ANYTHING?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Origins is Canon, enough said. I just played through it again recently for the 50th time. And I can tell you that it's canon.. all the references are there. And especially with the good ending you hear the voices of Harry and his wife naming the child Cheryl. Plus through out the game you have Lisa and kauffman in there.. and there are even references to the drugs that were being passed around in the town. Sure it was mostly about travis.. but just because the story is alot about the main character, does that make it any less canon? I mean look at silent hill 2.. I mean that really didn't say much about Alessa or anything. Does that make Silent Hill 2 any less canon than the rest of the series?
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Again, bad logic to determine if something is canon.
Empyrean
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Empyrean »

That seems like ok logic to me.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

There's references in non-canon works, too. You need more than references to judge one way or the other. Otherwise we have to count the shit-awful comic books.
Utsushimi

Post by Utsushimi »

well..... i think it exactly explains the ritual of Alessa......... and how the baby Cheryl turns out....... but it didnt say if it was Lisa who stole the baby for Harry to find