how origins could have been better

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

SHF
Historical Society Historian

how origins could have been better

Post by SHF »

First, the graphics coulda been better, like in SH3.
Now, the monsters.... ok, the straight jackets were dissappointing, because they resembled the lying figures from SH2. And the Ariels were kinda silly, IMO.
Whatever happened to the original concept creatures? the ones in the wheelchairs that looked like different things thrown together?
And the Caliban was cool, but just seemed to be modeled after the Janitor from the movie.
And, like in the first game, alessa once again is lying in front of a vehicl, his truck. Sounds original. Could of been more creative with that.
Also the fact that Alessa shows up to much. It left out any suspense for me.
All this, affected the gameplay experience for me, which is why its the lesser of the series, for its borrowing of the other game creations.
And the butcher....hmmm. seems vaguely similar to Phead from SH2.
What are you guy's opinions?
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
Naissus
Just Passing Through

Post by Naissus »

Well, Origins was a port from the PSP, so that is why the graphics are not the best. Yeah they could have been more original, but it was thier first outing into the world of silent hill. Most people I think would do the same when it comes to playing with someone else series.
[url=http://img4.imageshack.us/i/n64362072821124427438.jpg/][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9635/n64362072821124427438.jpg[/img][/url]
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

There's already a thread like this somewhere, I guess.
NothingLikeSleep

Post by NothingLikeSleep »

i didn't like the energy drinks and breaking weapons. i thought the sanitarium could have been shortened and the hospital lengthened. im going to play it again soon
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I used to hate this game, but I love it now that I've finished it. I just thik that it should have focused more on Alessa than on Travis. Giving him a personal story wasn't a bad idea, but it felt tacked on to Alessa's overall story. With all of that focus on Travis, we really didn't learn anything new about SH, which is jarring in a game called Origins.
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

^^ I agree.
Travis would have been a better character if he had his own game.
However, since this is origins, they really should have focused on Alessa and more on the cult.
Eric-3
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Eric-3 »

-I had some issues with the controls, like trying to find the right "spot" to step on monsters. Actually, I had a several issues with combat...

-The camera caused some minor problems, like it not always repositioning back behind you.

-I wish you could aim your flashlight around a bit. I couldn't appreciate the environments as much because I can't look around, the game is really dark, and the flashlight is always a little too low for me.

-The mirrors, while an interesting idea, take some tension out since you can jump between worlds when you want. It's also kinda tedious backtracking to find the right mirrors and paths to go to.

-I thought the supporting characters were weak. They felt like they were thrown in just for the sake of it being a prequel, and they didn't really interest me.

-I think, in some aspects, the game was trying too hard to be like Silent Hill 2.

I still enjoyed the game though.
SHF

Post by SHF »

the order, their religion, and characters like lisa, dahlia and kauffman should of been more explored, as alessa could of stayed in the shadows a little better.
they could of thrown in a memo or somewthing based on cybil as well
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Yeah, Kaufmann, Lisa, Dahlia could have been covered in greater depth. Their appearances are all too brief. Also, I would have liked to have seen appearances from Leonard and Claudia, even though I'm virtually certain that Leonard is one of the masked cultists in the Other Church.
SHF

Post by SHF »

wasnt claudia related to dahlia?
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^No she wasn't. Claudia and Alessa were "great friends" and called themselves "sisters". Dahlia wasn't Claudia's mother.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>I'm virtually certain that Leonard is one of the masked cultists in the Other Church.
While a fanciful thought, it doesn't make sense in the context of the story: Dahlia is a member of the sect of the Holy Woman, to which Claudia also belongs. However, Leonard has distinctly opposing views from Claudia, and so is probably a member of the sect of the Holy Mother or one of the others we haven't been introduced to.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
SHF

Post by SHF »

oh yeah, alessa and her were friends, thats right. I think leonard belonged to the sect that were designated to spread the word of the order's teachings or to protect them, i forget. And claudia must of been in that same sect.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I was merely speculating, however, there is nothing to indicate which sect he belonged to. I'm just pointing out that it's a possibility
simeonalo

Re: how origins could have been better

Post by simeonalo »

helldescent wrote:First, the graphics coulda been better, like in SH3.
Now, the monsters.... ok, the straight jackets were dissappointing, because they resembled the lying figures from SH2. And the Ariels were kinda silly, IMO.
Whatever happened to the original concept creatures? the ones in the wheelchairs that looked like different things thrown together?
And the Caliban was cool, but just seemed to be modeled after the Janitor from the movie.
And, like in the first game, alessa once again is lying in front of a vehicl, his truck. Sounds original. Could of been more creative with that.
Also the fact that Alessa shows up to much. It left out any suspense for me.
All this, affected the gameplay experience for me, which is why its the lesser of the series, for its borrowing of the other game creations.
And the butcher....hmmm. seems vaguely similar to Phead from SH2.
What are you guy's opinions?
I totally agree with everything you're saying. There could have been more monster variety, and not a lot of knock-off versions of Silent Hill 2's monsters. Straight Jackets were disappointing, though them chasing after you in the town scared me on some level.

What did happen to the concept creatures? The Meat-Hook thing and the Wheelchair Monster looked really great, why would they even scrap that out?

Yah, Alessa was a bitch stalker. And they made her aura seem more mysterious and evil.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I think they scrapped the concept creatures because a few fans bitched about monster that looked like they were from RE and a purple monster that nobody seemed to like. Where can I find the concept art for these monsters? They seem interesting.
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

^ huh, i thought they scrapped it because of the transportation from the American team to the European team, and were pushed by a deadline, and created more generic looking monsters (Caliban just looks like a lump of flesh in a strange form, nothing quite noticeable... )
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
Eric-3
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Eric-3 »

KiramidHead wrote:I think they scrapped the concept creatures because a few fans bitched about monster that looked like they were from RE and a purple monster that nobody seemed to like. Where can I find the concept art for these monsters? They seem interesting.
Here are some.
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/sh0/arts_ru.htm
SHF

Post by SHF »

i mean that zombie creature featured in the prototype was too RE like, glad they scrapped that one. the caliban are cool IMO bcuz theyre behemoth in size. I definetly liked the carrion, and the twobacks? ehck. Again, resembling the Abstract Daddy from SH2. ( a beast merge with two beings, appearing to be engaged in sex/assault).
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Eric-3 wrote:
KiramidHead wrote:I think they scrapped the concept creatures because a few fans bitched about monster that looked like they were from RE and a purple monster that nobody seemed to like. Where can I find the concept art for these monsters? They seem interesting.
Here are some.
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/sh0/arts_ru.htm
One of the concept creatures is an earlier version of the Two-Back.