The "I got it" & Impressions thread

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Yana
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Yana »

Great typo. :lol: I like your dream too Peachy!

I loved the game. It was soooo much better than I was expecting it to be. I found it to be really unsettling and creepy, much like SH2 which made me happy. Playing it with headphones and lights off was awesome and I found it a much more deeper experience. I understood what was going on after the sanitarium with Travis, but I don't think we got to know that much about Lisa really. I've completed it twice now (Good and UFO endings) and I intended to keep playing it again and again, I feel its easily be a game I can't get bored of.
[url=http://iampaddy.com/spell/]Learn To Fucking Spell[/url]
jason_the_one
Just Passing Through

Post by jason_the_one »

i got it and i thought it might suck a bit.........but it really did not suck. it confused me, which is good. very reminiscent of sh1 crossed with elements of 2, a good mix. love it.
they look like monsters to you?
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

PeachySakura24 wrote:That was the best typo ever! I wish mine spit out Escolades every time I beat it!
So, I for a week after I got it, I kept having dreams that I was running around the motel with my friends trying to find something, and giant versions of people I don't like were chasing me around. I haven't had a dream so cool since I watched the first 2 Resident Evil movie for 2 days in a row, and I dreamt that my friends and I encountered zombie versions of ex friends and boyfriends, and we met up with the people at my dance studio, and we had a big Thriller dance-off against the zombies.
I now officially love SH:0 for inspiring such a dream.
Weird. I had a nightmare where everyone that I ever went to school with and I went on a camping trip, but lost our way and went to Silent Hill, and everyone but me died.
I guess it really wasn't a nightmare...
themissionary
Just Passing Through

Post by themissionary »

I just got the PS2 port.... I love it!
SymboliC
Just Passing Through

Post by SymboliC »

PROS:

1. Nice job, Climax.

2. Lots of weapons and bonus stuff

3. Still has that Silent Hill flavor alright.

CONS:

1. The "run" feature

2. Glitches, but I really don't care

3. US Subtitle is misleading, SILENT HILL ZERO suited best

4. Practically no "suspenseful" or "jump-out-your-seat" scenes, at least once

And many more CONS, but I'm glad I don't remember some of them, meaning, at least the PROS outweighed them for me.
[url=http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-3qe5-49-en-15-silent+hill-84-p.html]Silent Hill games/video/OST/stuff? Look no further.[/url]
lady_ash2112
Just Passing Through

Post by lady_ash2112 »

I picked up a copy of SH:O for the PS2 a couple of weeks ago. I started it on a Friday and beat it two days later. I absolutely LOVE this game. Granted, it wasn't great as the first three games, but it had its moments. The monsters in this game were fun to fight. I hated those ugly carrion monsters, scare the crap out of me every time. I loved the array of weaponry to choose from. I relied a lot on Travis's fists to beat down the enemies. There's nothing cooler than a character that can lay the "smack down," on his foes.

Climax did a superb job with the graphics and the story. The soundtrack was superb, no big surprise, Akira Yamaoka is GOD! The man never ceases to amaze me... not to mention scare the crap out of me with his compositions.

I think the only problem I had with the game was the camera angles. There's been too many occasions where I'd be running down the streets and would run into an enemy because the angle was distorted.

I'm already playing it for the third time. I've achieved the good, bad and UFO endings. I've acquired about seven accolades (savior, stalker, brawler, butcher, explorer, collector and ambassador.)

I give this game 9/10, two big thumbs up!!!
Jon
Just Passing Through

Post by Jon »

I bought the game a month ago but haven't started playing until last week. I'm having a freaking time playing, it is much better than I expected. Oh, and I am about half way through the game now... :wink:
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

i beat it in 2 days, or six hours. i liked the music and the storyline except for the fact that lisa, kaufmann and dahlia werent in it as much. and then i hated the mirrors, i could never remember what was where. but that was really all that i didnt care for. the puzzles werent easy but they didnt take me long to figure them out
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

I was finally able to get the game last week and play it. I went into this game expecting it to be very good, because... that's how it looked to me. But I have to say, for the first quarter or so of the game, despite the good points, I had doubts... but I was won over before long. I just didn't want it to end. I had a great time playing it.
Certain things took some getting used to, definitely. But nothing so much that it ruined my enjoyment. All SH fans should give the game a go.
Bucher1Pyramidhead1
Just Passing Through

Post by Bucher1Pyramidhead1 »

it was ez i beat it in leas then a day i have it for the ps2
Hahahahahahaha Im to punish u James!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hahahahahahaha I know u fear me Travis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ghostshotgun
Just Passing Through

Post by ghostshotgun »

Yea i got this game a little while ago and took a day off of school to play it all day AND MAN WAS IT WORTH IT. GOD i loved this game. Yea it was awesome because it was portable SH game that i could play out of the house.
Also the Bad Ending is the best for me but the Good Ending makes more sense to the rest
Last edited by ghostshotgun on 05 May 2008, edited 1 time in total.
...watching.you.within.sniping.range...
Radical Dreamer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Radical Dreamer »

So I finally caved in and bought a copy of the PS2 version; and so far I'm on the fence. For everything I've really enjoyed there's been something I hated. For example, I thought the new combat system was really great until I got to the sanitarium and found myself vastly outnumbered with only about 1 health drink and weapons were breaking left and right. Maybe that's just me as a health item horder, but it really put me on edge (for the wrong reason).

And the sanitarium, while initially cool, seemed to drag on forever (and that's saying a lot since I only spent about an hour, an hour and a half there.

And the Butcher. I heard he was a PH rip-off, but I didn't realize just how much of a rip-off he was until I saw him. Still, as disappointing as that was, seeing him gut that nurse was pretty sweet in blood-lust sort of way. :D

Plot wise, I'm not gonna comment yet since I'm not finished.

So it's really been a mixed bag so far.
Komov
Just Passing Through

Post by Komov »

I got it and just beat it last night. Great game, my only complaint is the controls/camera system. You run at one direction, then the camera angle changes and suddenly Travis changes direction...
[i]"It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others."
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it."[/i]
Baal
Just Passing Through

Post by Baal »

^Agreed. It saddened me that I got the game only to find out that there was no 3D control option, but I managed. Other than that I really love this game.
Give me peace and chemicals. I wanna run into. . .
Wayward Soul
Gravedigger
Location: Purgatory. Neither Heaven nor Hell will accept me to their Kingdom Gates.

Post by Wayward Soul »

Komov wrote:I got it and just beat it last night. Great game, my only complaint is the controls/camera system. You run at one direction, then the camera angle changes and suddenly Travis changes direction...
I agree the camera work was the one thing that pissed me off, mainly during the boss fights. But other than that I like it, kinda of short though. The accolades reminded me of playing SH3. The part part was the Bad ending.
[url=http://robb-wayward.deviantart.com/][color=blue]Some walk on the path of Light[/url][/color]
[url=http://youtube.com/user/RobbWayward][color=red]Some walk on the path of Dark[/url][/color]

I shall walk on both paths.
Brookhaven Orderly
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Brookhaven Orderly »

The Walkin Dude wrote:So I finally caved in and bought a copy of the PS2 version; and so far I'm on the fence. For everything I've really enjoyed there's been something I hated. For example, I thought the new combat system was really great until I got to the sanitarium and found myself vastly outnumbered with only about 1 health drink and weapons were breaking left and right. Maybe that's just me as a health item horder, but it really put me on edge (for the wrong reason).
I just bought this game recently; and yes, so far my biggest complaint is the combat system. I can understand weapons deteriorating, but jeez -- when you're being attacked by multiple enemies, it's really annoying to have to re-quip in the middle of a fight.

The inventory itself is kind of silly. Picture Travis actually shlepping around a sledgehammer, a typewriter, a couple of ether bottles, a morphine drip stand, and several health drinks. He should be pushing a shopping cart. :lol: Personally, I'd rather have a more limited inventory of weapons that didn't break.

Overall though it's great to be back in Silent Hill again. SH4 just had a different feel, at least for me. And no ghosts this time! Thank God -- I hated those stupid things.
    Jonipoon
    Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

I finally bought this game myself along with a PSP (I borrowed a PSP with the game one year ago and played it through) some weeks ago. Have played it through 5 times now, and what can I say... I simply love this game. Although it was too short and too easy to beat, had terrible dialogue and terrible weapons... the atmosphere was stunning. The mirrors, the flashbacks, the tragic bosses... The game had such a groovy impact on me, I sat and ate cookies with milk in front of it. May sound wierd, but you should try it yourself. Trust me! It's very neat.
    I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
    Breaka
    Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Well this is what I thought of 0rigins.

Stuff I Liked

Set Pieces:
    0rigins had a few cool little set pieces that helped break things up a little. Like following the road into town, the burning house, crawling, and in particular very good implementation of Psycho style peep holes in the motel.

Visuals: Even when you allow for the fact that 0rigins was developed for PSP, I thought it looked just as decent SH2 on the PSP. It properly does look like Silent Hill in both normal and otherworld. I not a huge fan of FMV, but I must say they were really very well animated. Just a shame they fucked up with the continuity at the start.

Acting: The acting was good and made the characters believable. Travis is my now one of my top leading characters in the series simply because his emotions and reactions seem very realistic. Non of that sappy James/Henry business. When Travis get annoyed ect.. he lets us know.

Monster Designs: They don't fuck around this time. They're bigger, tuffer and faster than ever before, and unlike in SH4, they really feel like they've got some weight to them. I thought pretty much all the designs were great and well thought out, as many serve as precursors to monsters that appear later in the series. Particular favourites were the invisible Remnant monsters, only visible as a shadow behind a floating metal jacket. And also aerials, which are like little mini mannequins.

Fear Factor: The combination of great spooky locations, good use of sound effects and an army of tuffer monsters has really upped the fear factor on many of the previous game. Never before has I so often entered a new area and just frozen, staring into the dark and contemplating what's out there. I'd say it's second scariest behind SH1.

Locations: One of the best things about 0rigins is the locations. They are some of the best desiged in the series so far, ranging from a massive deteriorating sanatarium, to a dingy and ominous butcher shop, to a grand theatre and even a sleazy and sinister motel. They were all fresh and exciting places to be, each with it's own unique feel that really made you feel like you really did visit that towns darkest corners.

Puzzles: 0rigins has the best puzzles in the series so far. They never really get into that silly fairy tales riddle territory as seen previously. Instead it opts for more realistic puzzles, which help bring the locations to life and help you to connect to the game world.

Pacing Between Worlds: The pacing between normal and alternative Silent Hill is good, building up pressure on the dark side, and releasing it in the normal side. This also works well because it can catch you off guard and surprises you when you least expect it. Good to see the return of exterior other world locations, that are a scarey as ever. And the whole mirror thing wasn't so bad in the end.

Travis' Story: I found Travis' story pretty good. I thought it was an excellent touch to explain most of it through in game flash backs which don't disrupt the game. Also the locations and puzzles in this game really help set the scene by depicting a town that brings out the dark side of people. A town filled with orphans, sanitariums, sleazy motels, suicide, murders.. gives you a feel for what goes on in the background. Nice to see some the red indians getting a mention. My dream of a red indian silent hill game lives on.

Stuff I Didn't Like

Gameplay:
    What were they thinking? The combat in this game is not only the worst in the entire series, but if also some of the worst combat I've ever seen in a game full stop. It's awful. To start your mele weapons break mid fight after a certain number of hits. Then you either resort to punching the enemy, which is actually half decent and just as effective as most mele weapons, or you switch weapons. However you can't switch weapons in unless you go to the inventory screen or stand completely still, which destorys combat completely. But even when they do break it makes no difference because weapons and supplies are strewn absolutely fuckin everywhere. Everything except for health, which the dickheads replaced with energy drinks that have no purpose whatsoever. It's totally unplayable and totally unrealistic anyway. Then when you do take on a monster, they quite often start by trying to grapple with you. Now I like the idea of grapples but here it is so badly implemented. Instead of how you'd expect to grapple, by wiggling the stick, instead you have to wait for quick time commands to pop up. It makes absolutely no sense at all. And also even if you sneak up behind a monster, they often still grapple you anyway. It's just fucked. Not that you need to fight any of them as they seem to randomly re-spawn anyway. All combat is for the most part completely avoidable, and as it always the case in Silent Hill, it's adds nothing to the overall experience. Then the only time you might ever need to fire a gun is in the boss fights, and saying that I made it though the entire game without firing the magnum once. And the boss fights are as shit as ever, just the same old run away and fire routine, and you fight the devil at the end. The whole added puzzle of being on the right side of the mirror was just a cheap way to try and make the game last longer, which I really could have done without. Yeah in general, I'd have to agree with most reviewers that aside from the decent puzzles, the gameplay is just played out. It's just so stale and adds nothing to the experience. Although, it was great to punch the monkey nurses and straight jackets lights out.

Monster Implementation: I like being overrun by monsters here and there, but in this game they are randomly scattered everywhere. And there is very little consideration as to where they are placed other than introducing monsters in a relevant location. This means you never get a moment to properly explore and never really get that 'alone in the town' feeling. And when they gang up you have absolutely no chance. Also I like that there are really big monsters, and the occasional one is great. But yet again, they are just flung all over the place. Some of which are so big there is no way to fight them in the given combat system. It just plain doesn't work. It's like an ant trying to kill a heard of inflatable elephant with a leaf that breaks after the fourth hit. And then the really really big ones like giant carrions and calibans, which should be able to turn over or crush a car, instead get stuck behind them, which is pretty wack. They really should have toned the number of monsters down and put more consideration into where they are placed. The nurses looked and sounded more like monkies too.

Cult Cheese: Not as much as in SH3, but of what there was, it was pretty damn cheesy. I'm talking about Alessa shooting out fire extinguishing seals, Dahlia talking about casting spells and trapping the devil inside the puzzle box from Hellraiser.

Camera: I'm a big advocate for including some fixed camera angles, but not when they are this badly implemented. You often have absolutely no control of the camera at all other then occasionally resetting it behind you. The amount of times I got clobbered simply because I couldn't see then enemy was ridiculous

Alessa's Inconsistent Designs: I don't know who's job it was designing her look, but they must of had a team of about fifty people each with their own idea, and none that looks anything like Alessa from SH1. The Alessa you see in game is good, you kind of want to pick her up and give her a hug. But the one's in the cut scenes looks totally different and way too cartoony.

How Story Misses The Point: Main problem is that it completely misses the point. Travis' story was great, but this is 0rigins and it's supposed to be about Alessa. I don't feel this game explained a bloody thing. Like what do the sirens even mean. What is the other world? Why does it look like that. What are the cult doing. What is the deal with Kaufman and Lisa? Travis story was cool, but they should have just made it a spin off from the main series, like Vice City Stories ect..

Soundtrack: I think Yamaoka kind of missed the mark. The sound design was pretty average and there was only a couple of songs that stood out for me. Also, mabey it cause I started playing with headphones, but for the first time I actually started to find the soundtrack a little jarring after a while.

Overall: I enjoyed 0rigins and think it's a solid addition to the series. They've achieved some extremely impressive results especially when you consider how shit it looked to start with, and that it was designed for PSP. It some of the best stuff in the series so far, and also some of the worst, but overall I think it capture the Silent Hill experience pretty well.
    Last edited by Breaka on 04 Jul 2008, edited 1 time in total.
    leftshoe18
    Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

i've got origins, and i highly recommend it.
    Brookhaven Orderly
    Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Brookhaven Orderly »

Breaka wrote:Well this is what I thought of 0rigins...
    That was a kick-ass breakdown. I agree with everything you said, to the extent I can speak to these matters intelligently (as one who hasn't finished the game yet).

I've only made it as far as the sanitarium, but this environment is absolutely one of my favorites in the franchise. Not since SH2's Toluca prison have I been that creeped out by a game level. And it's a Kirkbride building! Nice touch, and kudos to the developers. I'll likely never get a chance to tour an old Kirkbride for myself, but going on a vicarious urban exploration by way of Travis will do. :D

I've been keeping Travis' flashlight off as I creep around the place -- both for stealth purposes, as well as to amp-up the tension.