Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 12 Dec 2018




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Mar 2006
Notes left: 215
AuraTwilight wrote:
The Burden of Proof, however, lies on YOU. You're the one who has to back up what you're saying, not her.


Funny you say that because I gave, however fairly small, explanation.

Quote:
There's no way Trevor is schizophrenic.


The point of a debate is to give a counter argument. That doesn't discredit the idea or possibility. Thats a childish argument at best. I see no counter evidence to back her argument up against my theory on Travis.

Pulled from a schizophrenia support site:
Quote:
People diagnosed with schizophrenia usually experience a combination of positive (i.e. hallucinations, delusions, racing thoughts)...


Hallucinations could be connected to all the monsters, surrounds and items seen/found in the game. Delusions may not be part of his problem, you dont actually hear from him a strict belief that can be trumped. Racing thoughts brings me to the intro. Just as he pulls into the city limits he has flashes of his childhood that appear to make him fairly uncomfortable. Which this also brings me to believe that Alessa's or the Towns influence amplifies/preys/projects ones mind onto the town. SH2 anyone?

Quote:
negative (i.e. apathy, lack of emotion, poor or nonexistant social functioning), and cognitive (disorganized thoughts, difficulty concentrating and/or following instructions, difficulty completing tasks, memory problems). Please refer to the information available on this page (see below) for common signs and symptoms, as well as consumer/family stories of how they identified schizophrenia in their own experiences.


Apathy & lack of emotion surely aren't symptoms that he has. Hes running around the town trying to find the real Alessa. Gets upset and scared. You don't need to have all of the symptoms of a disease to be diagnosed. Poor/nonexistent social functioning. Hes a trucker, always on the road with little interaction with people. Has no/little love interest to speak of. Memory problems can be argued with the coping mechanism as Aura, Goodnight and I put forth. It seemed during the game that he may not have known what was going on. Of course he never gave actual statements of what he had seen either.




Now I am not a psychiatrist nor do I claim to be but it sounds more like schizophrenia than the other diseases he could be diagnosed with. Such as Bipolar disorder, clinical depression or Psychosis. Of which have like symptoms to schizophrenia but bipolar has much more to do with manic episodes, psychosis to brain lesions and clinical depression with longterm, well depression. All of these have common symptoms with schizophrenia but have their own flares that set them apart.


Although, I do agree that Travis's mother would be Schizoaffective because of severe anger. Lashing out at Travis and attempting to murder him and herself to satisfy her delusions.

Goodnight wrote:
Wow... I know people are generally ignorant about mental illness, especially well-publicised and dramatised illnesses such as schizophrenia, but jesus. Unless you actually know about the disease, outside of watching TV and movies and reading Wikipedia, you really shouldn't be creating theories based on the illness.


I don't normally watch TV or movies or look at a Wiki for FACTUAL information. Wiki's can be edited, TV/movies bending the truth or whatnot. Im using what I found on Wiki as a source. The objective of a source is to be able to show someone what you are getting at or to show your not the only one thinking it. And again Im not a psychologist or a psychology major. But I have had a class or two in psychology and spent time looking at misdiagnosis portending to schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, psychosis, and clinical depression.

Oh, and before you say I need to understand something about a disease:

My mother remarried a few years ago to what seemed like a a pretty decent guy. Shortly after the marriage he became moody and disgustingly lazy and depressed. Sleeping 20-37 hours. Then sometimes be right as rain. One night my mother and I were visiting his family without him and were speaking on the subject. They were thinking clinical depression. I suggested Bipolar because I belived he was also having manic episodes. I remember him yelling and carrying on for days or weeks even about little shit every other month or so. "WHERES THE FUCKING REMOTE?! I CANT BELIEVE THIS BULLSHIT. NOONE FUCKING DOES ANYTHING AROUND HERE! Etc. etc." Noone believed me. A few weeks later my mother talked him into self committing to a hospital. After about a year later of in and out visits at the hospital and going into debt he comes out with my mother and papers diagnosing him with a form of Bipolar Disorder and a prescription of Lithium that anymore the asshole seldom takes.

So either I was fairly lucky about my suspicion or I paid attention in class.

Rebuttal?

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 18 Jul 2004
Notes left: 2099
Last seen at: Australia
"Rebuttal?"

What's the saying? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing?

I lived for 19 years with a grandmother who was a paranoid schizophrenic.
She had cervical cancer for 10 years, but was too paranoid to visit a doctor. She ended up dying of septic shock and dehydration because the nurse taking her in for the operation that would have saved her life happened to tell her she was going for an operation and she refused, because she thought 'they' wanted to kill her.

I've seen schizophrenics and lived with them, I've discussed the illness with psychiatrists and done the reading. I'm not entirely ignorant of the disease.


"Lashing out at Travis and attempting to murder him and herself to satisfy her delusions. "

I have schizoaffective disorder, and I've never tried to kill anyone to satisfy anything. I don't have violent tendencies, and I've never been deluded. Schizoaffective is a complicated combination of schizophrenic symptoms, such as aural and visual hallucinations, along with things such as unipolar depression and other disorders, like borderline personality. It's not as simple as "Delusions + violent tendencies = schizoaffective".

It's fairly frustrating to see clinical terms being thrown around. People need to be careful what they're saying when it comes to mental illness, because it's easy to generalise and offend.

In any case, the point of my first post really was more to say what I agreed and disagreed with in terms of theories. I really don’t care to continue the discussion, unless it’s about the game itself - that’s the purpose of this thread, after all. No hard feelings, I hope. It honestly wasn't a personal attack.


Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Mar 2006
Notes left: 215
Goodnight wrote:
"Rebuttal?"

What's the saying? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing?

I lived for 19 years with a grandmother who was a paranoid schizophrenic.
She had cervical cancer for 10 years, but was too paranoid to visit a doctor. She ended up dying of septic shock and dehydration because the nurse taking her in for the operation that would have saved her life happened to tell her she was going for an operation and she refused, because she thought 'they' wanted to kill her.

I've seen schizophrenics and lived with them, I've discussed the illness with psychiatrists and done the reading. I'm not entirely ignorant of the disease.


It's fairly frustrating to see clinical terms being thrown around. People need to be careful what they're saying when it comes to mental illness, because it's easy to generalise and offend.

In any case, the point of my first post really was more to say what I agreed and disagreed with in terms of theories. I really don’t care to continue the discussion, unless it’s about the game itself - that’s the purpose of this thread, after all. No hard feelings, I hope. It honestly wasn't a personal attack.




Im sorry to hear about your grandmother and yourself. It must be hard living with something like that. I also shouldn't have taken it as harshly.





Quote:
"Lashing out at Travis and attempting to murder him and herself to satisfy her delusions. "

I have schizoaffective disorder, and I've never tried to kill anyone to satisfy anything. I don't have violent tendencies, and I've never been deluded. Schizoaffective is a complicated combination of schizophrenic symptoms, such as aural and visual hallucinations, along with things such as unipolar depression and other disorders, like borderline personality. It's not as simple as "Delusions + violent tendencies = schizoaffective".


It doesnt have to be so violent for everyone as you know and not really what I was getting at. And I also realize there are thousands of different combinations that make up specific disorders.

Travis's mom just was on the violent. Im speaking in the terms of her condition not in general for all people.
(Anyone able to give the diagnosis from the memo about her condition? I haven't had a chance to get to playing again, work/school and all.)

How Im looking at this game is the dev team wanted to get at the psychological side of the series. In all seriousness all we have are theories and ideas about what is going on. But until the dev team talks then all we have are our thoughts. It would be nice if they could throw together another Lost Memories kind of book that compiles all of the games thus far.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11381
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
Funny you say that because I gave, however fairly small, explanation.


Explaining a theory isn't proving it.

Quote:
The point of a debate is to give a counter argument. That doesn't discredit the idea or possibility. Thats a childish argument at best. I see no counter evidence to back her argument up against my theory on Travis.


I see no point to support YOUR theory, since Travis has NO schizophrenic symptoms at all except for hallucinations, which aren't his fault at all considering where he is.

Quote:
Hallucinations could be connected to all the monsters, surrounds and items seen/found in the game. Delusions may not be part of his problem, you dont actually hear from him a strict belief that can be trumped. Racing thoughts brings me to the intro. Just as he pulls into the city limits he has flashes of his childhood that appear to make him fairly uncomfortable. Which this also brings me to believe that Alessa's or the Towns influence amplifies/preys/projects ones mind onto the town. SH2 anyone?


Mental illness has nothing to do with what Travis saw, he's in the Otherworld. As for your last statement, the power comes from the town. Alessa has no hand in other people's Otherworlds.

Quote:
You don't need to have all of the symptoms of a disease to be diagnosed.


Yea, but you need atleast some.

Quote:
Now I am not a psychiatrist nor do I claim to be but it sounds more like schizophrenia than the other diseases he could be diagnosed with. Such as Bipolar disorder, clinical depression or Psychosis. Of which have like symptoms to schizophrenia but bipolar has much more to do with manic episodes, psychosis to brain lesions and clinical depression with longterm, well depression. All of these have common symptoms with schizophrenia but have their own flares that set them apart.


How about none? Travis is, given his circumstances, a perfectly mentally well-adjusted individual. I don't think a lot of people would have the mental strength to cope with the things he did and come out so well.

Quote:
Im using what I found on Wiki as a source.


Number one way to lose a debate.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Mar 2006
Notes left: 215
You didn't really read what I said at all did you?


EDIT:::

Let me put it this way. You prove what is going on in a fictional world.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11381
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
If you're going to be making claims about the fictional world, you need to provide your evidence like the rest of us. The "It's fictional" excuse isn't going to cut it.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Mar 2006
Notes left: 215
But did you read what I said?

Quote:
How Im looking at this game is the dev team wanted to get at the psychological side of the series. In all seriousness all we have are theories and ideas about what is going on. But until the dev team talks then all we have are our thoughts. It would be nice if they could throw together another Lost Memories kind of book that compiles all of the games thus far.


The only thing keeping us from getting the truth is the fact we cant talk to Travis because he is in a work of fiction. So basically we all have is a guess or assumption until the development team tells us whats up. Therefore no one is right until then.

Quote:
Explaining a theory isn't proving it.


True, I guess really I should be saying hypothesis and not theory. Which is my fault I often confuse the two.



Quote:
I see no point to support YOUR theory, since Travis has NO schizophrenic symptoms at all except for hallucinations, which aren't his fault at all considering where he is.


I already linked possible symptoms to their possible inference. Im not really sure what else you want.




Quote:
I'm using what I found on Wiki as a source. The objective of a source is to be able to show someone what you are getting at or to show your not the only one thinking it.


Maybe you should have used the whole quote there. Must have gotten cut off. :roll: I cant really hand you a book over the net. A webpage with at least a bit of truth will have to do.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Apr 2006
Notes left: 916
Last seen at: Zanesville Ohio
Ok for one, I dont give a rats ass about all the lil tidbits.. I personally like not knowing all the little details.. it adds a bit of mystery to the story of the game.. which I think was the intention of the developers anyhow. All this aruging over a fictional game is stupid.. we're all supposed to be fans here.. and in my book I see you all as my friends.. lifes way too short to argue and waste time arguing over a game. I love Silent Hill.. and i love the story.. I also love that they leave story elements open. it leaves mystery to the storylines fo the games.. if everything was revealed right infront of us.. then it would be rather boring.. and Silent hill would not be the great cinematic game series that it's become today. Nothing personal.. but I like to come here to discuss my favorite game series.. not have to listen to pointless arguing... and people attacking eachother all the time. Sheesh

_________________
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 17 Feb 2007
Notes left: 71
well ofcourse because the internet is serious business.

i understand discussing theories. but some of these people act pretty retarded when it comes to it. not saying you guys are being retarded, i'm not referring to this thread at all to be honest.

it's just alot of people who play the game seem to treat themselves like psychology majors when actually they probably just read too much stuff on the internet.
the point of this site is to take guesses, form theories. not be "well, this happens because of this. ofcourse it's true because it's a videogame and if you don't think i'm right your an idiot." because hey, as far as i know konami didn't go up to you and go "OH JEEZ, YOU SOLVED THE MYSTERY." it's not really much as attacking as people being ignorant.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 Jul 2005
Notes left: 1421
Last seen at: room 302
bring more knives wrote:
it's just alot of people who play the game seem to treat themselves like psychology majors when actually they probably just read too much stuff on the internet.
the point of this site is to take guesses, form theories. not be "well, this happens because of this. ofcourse it's true because it's a videogame and if you don't think i'm right your an idiot." because hey, as far as i know konami didn't go up to you and go "OH JEEZ, YOU SOLVED THE MYSTERY." it's not really much as attacking as people being ignorant.

Agreed very much. The point of hanging out on a game-related internet forum is to HAVE FUN, ask questions, and discuss things without getting all bent out of shape or insulting people, IMHO.

But onto the topic, I'm not sure it has to mean anything. I think that fans have repeatedly shown that they read more into the games than the developers do, and here, we're even talking about a new team of developers. I'm not saying that they didn't do their homework, just that everything in the game may not be as deep as some think.

_________________
ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube


Top
   
 

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Apr 2006
Notes left: 916
Last seen at: Zanesville Ohio
actually from what I've seen in the game, everything is fairly straight forward. I've played through Origins 5 times now, and really all I see is a sidestory, that ties in with the first Sh game, nothing more nothing less. However that being said, I still enjoyed the game very much.

_________________
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!


Top
   
 

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Jun 2007
Notes left: 694
Vincent was a maniac. he was probably trying to twist the main character and the audience.


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 04 Mar 2007
Notes left: 490
^

Uhm, what? No, probably not. Vincent was not manic. Or maniacal, either. A dirty, schemeing rat-bastrad like there are a thousand other people out there like him, yes.

But bat-shit crazy? No.

Not that it has anything to do with the topic.

On Travis and schizophrenia: there's on huge thing to discount Travis's "schizophrenia"

We're in Silent Hill. That fact, and that fact alone, can completely discount anything about Travis possibly having schizophrenia outside of a creator actively confirming the idea.

Why? Silent Hill can and will cause anybody to have hallucinations and delusions. Anybody. Even normal-ish people. Was Douglas schizophrenic for seeing monsters? Other people can't see the monsters. Does that make him crazy?

No. In this case, you can't say either he or Travus is crazy because the environment has changed completely. You can't judge one circumstance on another when the environments for the two situations are completely opposite. It would be like saying that because someone in Africa doesn't wear full length pants and a coat in December is crazy, because relatively speaking, December for other people is fucking cold.

If Travis were in the real world, you might have a case. As it is, your point for schizophrenia is very weak.


Top
   
 

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Jun 2007
Notes left: 694
nur_ein_tier wrote:
I'm not saying that they didn't do their homework, just that everything in the game may not be as deep as some think.


I kinda agree with that, since the Japanese creator didn't really sound like an highly educated writer, rather than a person who himself (or his crew) had some nightmares as a child and decided to tackle them in a form which people would see it by mixing it with the Japanese point of view of darkness and nightmares (mostly from Mythology or Shinto and Christian notebooks). The American developers (or were Climax English dudes?) however don't have such culture or those stories and always lives in a more shiny world and we all know that the western 'Age of Darkness' finished a couple of hundred years before even the Japanese Dark age started. So, I guess the western fear was worn off long ago.


Sionnan wrote:
^
Not that it has anything to do with the topic.



I was actually referring to the title post. Sorry I didn't make it clear, I should've quoted it.

Ofcourse, my view on Vincent is this: Someone who is trying to get in your pants with his flashing glasses.

I dont' really like him

[spoiler]even though he got stabbed at the end.[/spoiler]

Poor guy.... NOT.





Edited by Krist.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 27 Aug 2003
Notes left: 12943
Last seen at: The Wand'ring Wood
Don't double post. Go back and use the EDIT Button.

_________________
I'm not dead yet, dammit.


Top
   
 

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Jun 2007
Notes left: 694
Did I? :?

Well, sorry about that.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: Death caused by...*Spoilers, duh!*...with an ending theo
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 Jul 2005
Notes left: 1421
Last seen at: room 302
The Silent Executioner wrote:
What was with he Polaroid pics?

And moreover, you put the Dagger in the door in the Nero room, and Nero died by being stabbed. And you get a death by stabbing photo.

Cleopatra died by snakebite. you get a Cleopatra key and a death by snakebite photo.

The broken heart is obvious, and the overdose would probably refers to Lisa yeah.

_________________
ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 26 Dec 2004
Notes left: 2560
Last seen at: Insomnia land, where I am Queen!
Ok, after wading through 6 pages of arguments about mental illnesses, I have finally made it to the end. My first point to bring up is the White Claudia issue. If I'm not mistaken, White Claudia is not the drug, but the flower from which the drug is made. PTV is the drug, yes?

I was also curious about the death photos. I wish Climax could have elaborated on them a bit more. Maybe have brief flashbacks if they were indeed caused by Travis, as he picks them up. Maybe show the person die, but never show who exactly kills them until you get the bad ending. It really felt like they just slapped that in there at the last minute, and the fact that they thanked the forums here and at silent hill forums makes me believe they will be checking up to see if anyone can come up with a deeper meaning that they can later write in as the canon explanation. The game had great pacing until we hit the motel, and then it kind of fell apart.

_________________
Image
Gaming For Honor, playing video games to raise money for Wounded Warriors Project.
The Anime Cauldron is taking a nap.
Peachy's Predictions on Tumblr
Peachy's Predictions. on LiveJournal


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 Jul 2005
Notes left: 1421
Last seen at: room 302
Quote:
White Claudia is not the drug, but the flower from which the drug is made. PTV is the drug, yes?

Yes. From Sh1 "Product [PTV] only available in select areas of Silent Hill. Raw material is White Claudia, a plant peculiar to the region."

Agreed about the plot sort of falling apart at the motel.

_________________
ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 26 Dec 2004
Notes left: 2560
Last seen at: Insomnia land, where I am Queen!
Thank you. :)

_________________
Image
Gaming For Honor, playing video games to raise money for Wounded Warriors Project.
The Anime Cauldron is taking a nap.
Peachy's Predictions on Tumblr
Peachy's Predictions. on LiveJournal


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: