Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 22 Aug 2017




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 21 Mar 2006
Notes left: 65
Last seen at: hartlepool, town of sin.
ok my theory is that the hermit is alessas body. the one which rests inanimate in silent hill. with the flauros, harry is able to be unseen? concealed?

_________________
they look like monsters to you?


Top
   
 

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Apr 2006
Notes left: 916
Last seen at: Zanesville Ohio
I agree, but I dont think Harry is unseen, because Dahlia see's him and the cult knows of his presence. But I do agree that Alessa's body could be the hermit definately.

_________________
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 21 Mar 2006
Notes left: 65
Last seen at: hartlepool, town of sin.
true but i was referring to alessa being able to see him. alessa pops up at the school when you finish it, shortly after that you get the flauros, and she doesent pop up near you anymore. because the flauros conceals harry from her? to encounter alessa from then, we have to actively seek her according to dahlias directions. which is a bummer really because harry is being mislead and should be helping alessa. such a tool:/

_________________
they look like monsters to you?


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2007
Notes left: 13
Last seen at: Krautland
@Jason the one: If the Flauros makes Harry "unseen," why wouldn't it do the same to Dahlia or anyone else?

It seems most people agree that the Flauros is a demon in a cage, and its powers can be used to do whatever, by whomever (fine with me, fits the games).
BUT. At the end of SHO, Travis puts the Flauros together and thereby apparently freeing the demon. This seems to be helping Alessa, since she wants to split her soul to create Cheryl.

Now, why would the free demon help Alessa? It doesn't look like the demon has to be freed for its power to be used (Harry unknowingly used it in SH1 while the demon was not free), so why free it in the first place? And why trap it again inside its cage?

Assuming that he answers to those who capture him I suppose that makes at least some sense. He has to be free so someone can recapture him. So Travis sets him free, and then battles him so that he is captured again.
But the thing is, Travis is the one who captures him, so the Flauros should answer to HIM - but that doesn't really help Alessa split her soul, does it?

_________________
"Hubris made the angels of heaven into devils...
and their obstinacy keeps them in hell."


From the Kuruvian Texts
CY 319


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1323
Last seen at: Minnesota
I'm guessing Alessa might have wanted to disrupt the wonderful little get-together the Cult was planning between her womb and their God's sperm....
I think this is what happened:

1: She got Travis to go there once he releases the demon to be the first distraction. Kaufman puts him to sleep.
2: The demon is released, and disrupts The Ritual. Travis battles it while unconscious, presumably by astral-projection or something.
3: Travis defeats the Demon, and it is put back in it's cage. The Cult has already left the premises, and Alessa sees her chance to use it to split her soul.
4: Alessa, after giving birth to Cheryl, guides Travis out of the town and to his truck the next day, or sooner.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2007
Notes left: 13
Last seen at: Krautland
Video Gamer wrote:
1: She got Travis to go there once he releases the demon to be the first distraction. Kaufman puts him to sleep.


Somehow, that doesn't seem too plausible to me. Alessa made Travis follow her into Silent Hill in the beginning of the game, and she must have known that it would take time to make him interfere with the Order's business (and, in the end, be the first distraction). If what you say is true, she must have thought that Travis would get there at exactly the right time. And that is simply impossible for her to predict, so...
On the other hand, it could be that she hoped Travis would complete the Flauros *before* the ceremony began and it just so happened that he didn't.


Video Gamer wrote:
2: The demon is released, and disrupts The Ritual. Travis battles it while unconscious, presumably by astral-projection or something.


Well, it doesn't really disrupt the Ritual, because the first thing that happens (in the "real world", where the Ritual takes place) after Travis fighting the demon in his unconscious is the Flauros "coming to life" and the red lightning which creates baby Cheryl.
Maybe that's what you meant, but the way you put it seems like the demon interrupting the ritual and THEN Travis fighting it, which isn't the case.


Video Gamer wrote:
3: Travis defeats the Demon, and it is put back in it's cage. The Cult has already left the premises, and Alessa sees her chance to use it to split her soul.
4: Alessa, after giving birth to Cheryl, guides Travis out of the town and to his truck the next day, or sooner.


Right. But my 2 questions remain -
How would the freed demon help Alessa and why would Travis have to capture it again?
Assuming Flauros answers to those who have captured him, how would splitting Alessa's soul work if he answers to Travis? Alessa didn't really go around telling people that she wanted to split her soul, so it wasn't common sense on Travis's part ;)

_________________
"Hubris made the angels of heaven into devils...
and their obstinacy keeps them in hell."


From the Kuruvian Texts
CY 319


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2008
Notes left: 1323
Last seen at: Minnesota
Pyrazol wrote:
Video Gamer wrote:
1: She got Travis to go there once he releases the demon to be the first distraction. Kaufman puts him to sleep.


Somehow, that doesn't seem too plausible to me. Alessa made Travis follow her into Silent Hill in the beginning of the game, and she must have known that it would take time to make him interfere with the Order's business (and, in the end, be the first distraction). If what you say is true, she must have thought that Travis would get there at exactly the right time. And that is simply impossible for her to predict, so...
On the other hand, it could be that she hoped Travis would complete the Flauros *before* the ceremony began and it just so happened that he didn't.


I'm betting Travis was going to enter Silent Hill's Otherworld regardless of Alessa's interference or not; He already had strong, repressed memories of the place. Alessa may have seen this and decided to guide him in, while, at the same time, seeing a possible use for him. I'm also betting that she was burned soon after deciding to lure him into the town; seeing as though the fire is going as Travis makes it into the town, and she says clearly "Let me burn," which might mean she wanted him to leave her alone, because if she is burnt to death, God couldn't be born.
Dahlia could be seen outside of the house, smiling as Travis comes into view. I supposed she was waiting around for the firemen to save Alessa, but saw Travis and decided to let him do it, instead. He was there before them, anyway.
I agree with you when you say "She might have hoped he would have finished it before the ceremony began," because that's all she seemed to be banking on. It would also explain why she doesn't bother explaining any of this to him; it would take up too much time.

To your reply to my "Number 2" thing...Quotes aren't working for me right now: We're not sure what happens after Travis is knocked out; the concoction might have made him be unconscious for hours. There is a definate blank of time between Travis getting knocked out and the Demon appearing in wherever the hell Travis is. We also see a Cult member, presumably Dahlia,(because she probably knows what the Flauros demon does when it is released...) leave once Travis enters the room. The others may have fallen suit or been killed. Then we see Travis fighting it, and the soul-splitting.


I'm afraid everything I've written might not be clear; I don't have time to re-read it at the moment...


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11371
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
@Jason the one: If the Flauros makes Harry "unseen," why wouldn't it do the same to Dahlia or anyone else?


I don't think that's the case; Dahlia gave him the Flauros because he was already "unseen."

Quote:
It seems most people agree that the Flauros is a demon in a cage, and its powers can be used to do whatever, by whomever (fine with me, fits the games).
BUT. At the end of SHO, Travis puts the Flauros together and thereby apparently freeing the demon. This seems to be helping Alessa, since she wants to split her soul to create Cheryl.


I got the feeling that the demon was summoned/created (depending on whether or not it's a manifestation) by Alessa at that moment, and never dwelt within the Flauros previously.

Quote:
Now, why would the free demon help Alessa? It doesn't look like the demon has to be freed for its power to be used (Harry unknowingly used it in SH1 while the demon was not free), so why free it in the first place? And why trap it again inside its cage?


See above for the majority of those questions; As for why it helps, it might be a djinn sort of thing, where binding it forces it to obey it's keeper.

Quote:
Assuming that he answers to those who capture him I suppose that makes at least some sense. He has to be free so someone can recapture him. So Travis sets him free, and then battles him so that he is captured again.
But the thing is, Travis is the one who captures him, so the Flauros should answer to HIM - but that doesn't really help Alessa split her soul, does it?


Alessa is using Travis as a conduit for her power.

Quote:
Somehow, that doesn't seem too plausible to me. Alessa made Travis follow her into Silent Hill in the beginning of the game, and she must have known that it would take time to make him interfere with the Order's business (and, in the end, be the first distraction). If what you say is true, she must have thought that Travis would get there at exactly the right time. And that is simply impossible for her to predict, so...
On the other hand, it could be that she hoped Travis would complete the Flauros *before* the ceremony began and it just so happened that he didn't.


Alessa has precognitive powers. Who are you to say she can't predict something?

Quote:
Right. But my 2 questions remain -
How would the freed demon help Alessa and why would Travis have to capture it again?
Assuming Flauros answers to those who have captured him, how would splitting Alessa's soul work if he answers to Travis? Alessa didn't really go around telling people that she wanted to split her soul, so it wasn't common sense on Travis's part


Answered the second question above; You're also making the assumption that the Flauros demon was already inside the artifact while it was split up, but there's no evidence to suggest that.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2007
Notes left: 13
Last seen at: Krautland
@Video Gamer: You're getting the order of things mixed up.
Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JdPCFTUTCY

Dahlia doesn't leave as Travis enters the room. She leaves when the Flauros starts acting up, AFTER its fight with Travis. I think she's leaving because she doesn't know what Alessa will do with it.


AuraTwilight wrote:
I don't think that's the case; Dahlia gave him the Flauros because he was already "unseen."

I also like that better. But why is he "unseen" in the first place?


AuraTwilight wrote:
I got the feeling that the demon was summoned/created (depending on whether or not it's a manifestation) by Alessa at that moment, and never dwelt within the Flauros previously.

Hmm. I suppose that is a valid interpretation. I can't really argue with that - but it wasn't my impression.
Edit: ACTUALLY, after thinking about it some more, what you are saying makes sense. At least the summoning part, since according to the wiki-article the demon existed prior to the SHO events (so IMHO Alessa didn't create the demon). Alessa needed Travis to fight the demon, because she couldn't do it herself. The demon needs to be confined to a "magic triangle" so that it won't deceive the conjurer (!). Travis does that for Alessa, but Alessa controls it since she is the conjurer. I'm finally getting a hold of this.
Edit2: Another edit. Found evidence pointing to the fact that Alessa didn't summon the demon. In fact, it seems to have been in there all along.
Note found before final boss battle wrote:
Origin unknown. The device is first mentioned in the poetry of Chang Ch'ien, an advisor to members of the early Han Dynasty. In one of his tracts, Chang Ch'ien jokes he strapped a demon inside his "three sided box."

When Chang Ch'ien died in a terrible fire at the imperial palace in 115 BC, the device appeared lost.

It was later rumored to be in possession of Lutheran monk M.G. Lewis, who in 1796 spoke of its ability to control and amplify thought. It was Lewis who linked it not to a demon, but to God Himself, claiming it was a weapon left by angels as a force of good.


AuraTwilight wrote:
See above for the majority of those questions [...].

I guess your interpretation makes my questions superfluous... at least to you ;) To me, they're still unanswered, though.

AuraTwilight wrote:
Alessa is using Travis as a conduit for her power.

head -> table. It was all right there in front of me, but I didn't see it.

AuraTwilight wrote:
Alessa has precognitive powers. Who are you to say she can't predict something?

Whoa, sorry. I didn't realize that was established at some point. Would you be so kind as to letting me know where?

AuraTwilight wrote:
You're also making the assumption that the Flauros demon was already inside the artifact while it was split up, but there's no evidence to suggest that.

Admittedly, not really. But there is also no evidence to suggest it WASN'T, or is there?

_________________
"Hubris made the angels of heaven into devils...
and their obstinacy keeps them in hell."


From the Kuruvian Texts
CY 319


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11371
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
I also like that better. But why is he "unseen" in the first place?


Possibly because he's not a major player that Alessa has any beef with, like Dahlia, Kauffman, etc. Cybil is probably also "unseen", but Harry is more useful due to his influence over Cheryl.

Quote:
Edit: ACTUALLY, after thinking about it some more, what you are saying makes sense. At least the summoning part, since according to the wiki-article the demon existed prior to the SHO events (so IMHO Alessa didn't create the demon).


Well, the legend or myth for the demon could've existed, but it's wholly possible that no demons actually exist in the Silent Hill universe, and Alessa merely conjured her perception of the Flauros demon, much like what happens with God.

Quote:
Whoa, sorry. I didn't realize that was established at some point. Would you be so kind as to letting me know where?


Her reincarnation, Heather, displays it. Since Alessa's display of psychic power is hundreds of times stronger, you'd think she'd have frequent precognitive visions, possibly on command.

Quote:
Admittedly, not really. But there is also no evidence to suggest it WASN'T, or is there?


It seems painfully obvious to me that Alessa conjured it from somewhere else, otherwise we encounter all sorts of unnecessary problems, such as your questions.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 12 Jan 2007
Notes left: 13
Last seen at: Krautland
AuraTwilight wrote:
Well, the legend or myth for the demon could've existed, but it's wholly possible that no demons actually exist in the Silent Hill universe, and Alessa merely conjured her perception of the Flauros demon, much like what happens with God.

Well yeah, I suppose anything is possible.

AuraTwilight wrote:
Her reincarnation, Heather, displays it.

When exactly? This really is odd. That I've never caught that, I mean. Or maybe I just forgot, it's been a long time since SH3...

AuraTwilight wrote:
It seems painfully obvious to me that Alessa conjured it from somewhere else, otherwise we encounter all sorts of unnecessary problems, such as your questions.

Well. But I just came up with more evidence (supporting the theory that the demon actually WAS inside the Flauros in the first place) that you so conveniently overlooked ;)
I have even more, I think, but I'll look into it when I get back home.

_________________
"Hubris made the angels of heaven into devils...
and their obstinacy keeps them in hell."


From the Kuruvian Texts
CY 319


Top
   
 

RESPECT
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19397
Last seen at: #lfk
>When exactly?
The beginning dream sequence is an act of premonition.

_________________
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject:
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11371
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
Well. But I just came up with more evidence (supporting the theory that the demon actually WAS inside the Flauros in the first place) that you so conveniently overlooked Wink
I have even more, I think, but I'll look into it when I get back home.


A snippet of Chinese mythology isn't evidence.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 18 Dec 2006
Notes left: 65
Actually the Flauros reminds me of the ruby in Wishmaster. But I wonder if Henry from SH4 might have a tie to the Hermit. No one seems to really know him, and little to no information is given about him other than some photos in his apartment.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: The path of the Hermmit concealed by Flauros.
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2864
Maybe the "demon" was simply a great magical power that Chiang Chien contained within the Flauros, and that Alessa's power caused it to manifest as a terrible monster. Why, I have no idea.

_________________
It's not that far.

Screenplay Archaeology Podcast - DEATH NOTE EPISODE IS UP!


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: The path of the Hermmit concealed by Flauros.

Missing since: 20 Jun 2010
Notes left: 1625
KiramidHead wrote:
Maybe the "demon" was simply a great magical power that Chiang Chien contained within the Flauros, and that Alessa's power caused it to manifest as a terrible monster. Why, I have no idea.

Sort of like the original power of Silent Hill before it was corrupted by Alessa? A force or power used by someone with enough psychic ability, and manifested in the way they expected/wanted....


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: The path of the Hermmit concealed by Flauros.
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11371
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
I've kicked around the idea that the Flauros is nothing but a cage, but it was empty until a portion of Alessa's powers were sealed in it. The Flauros demon we face is a personification of that power warped by Travis' expectations and Alessa's pain, and he has to defeat it so she can reintegrate with it in order to split off Cheryl.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: The path of the Hermmit concealed by Flauros.

Missing since: 11 Sep 2010
Notes left: 4
Just a bit of speculation on the nature of the Flauros:

An idea just occurred to me that the Flauros is an awful lot like the town of Silent Hill itself. Over the centuries, they have both absorbed a whole lot of negative psychic energy (murder, ritual sacrifice...a whole lot of death and fucked up shit, basically) and act as natural psychic amplifiers. I just assumed that the implied age and mythology attributed to the actual Flauros device gave a clear indication of how much 'bad karma' it had accumulated over the years (A LOT).

However, the difference (I'm guessing) between Silent Hill and the Flauros device is that the Flauros is basically the equivalent of an entire Silent Hill (or equivalent 'location-as-psychic-amplifier') all conveniently localized in a freaky triangular box. If Silent Hill can be considered the supernatural/psychic equivalent of a slow-acting poison, then the Flauros may very well be the atomic bomb, at least in terms of raw power.

The neutrality of the Flauros device is a property shared by all supernatural artifacts in the Silent Hill series, and once again depends on the beliefs and perceptions of the user.

And I base all of this wild speculation on......absolutely nothing. Feel free to refute.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: The path of the Hermmit concealed by Flauros.
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11371
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
It's a nice idea, I'll give you that.

_________________
BlackFire2 wrote:
I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.


Top
   
 

Brookhaven Receptionist
 Post subject: Re: The path of the Hermmit concealed by Flauros.
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 26 Mar 2008
Notes left: 978
Last seen at: texas
i feel i have learned alot about the flauros

but i still am a bit confused

So the flauros demon is simply a manifestation or is it a actual demon

_________________
Image


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: