My thoughts so far

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

spunkytexan
My Bestsellers Clerk

My thoughts so far

Post by spunkytexan »

I am a little behind the rest of you all, I just got this Saturday, and have only had a couple of hours this weekend to play it.

I have solved the Iron Lung puzzle and just got by ass whooped when I got out of the TB room.
I LOVE the creature with the head brace, damn!

But that being said....

I do NOT like the fact that ALL of the weapons break. I expected some to break like the golf clubs did in The Room, but not the Hammer! I usually find my self using my fists. Or take an energy drink and book it like I did from the Butchers shop to the Asylum.

I am also not a big fan of the fact that the creatures "respawn" so much. In the past, it was like a task to "clear the area". Now it does not feel like that. I do like the fact that they appear to be more aggressive and intelligent.

I also do not like the fact that you cannot select difficulty levels. I am used to starting out in easy and beating it and working my way up. No walk throughs or guide books, no reading any spoiler posts, until I have beat it myself in easy mode...

Climax seems to have done OK with the look, and I do like the creature design, but do not like the fact that I can control the mirror.
I wish they had used the original Map and Geography and buildings, but I understand that might be a tadd difficult...

Other then that, so far, I do like this one better then The Room.
Last edited by spunkytexan on 20 Nov 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Now the dream of this life must end, and so, too, must the dreamers within it.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Well I find the fact of the weapons breaking quite realistic. The hammer breaks yes.. I have heard this over and over again.. but if you took a hammer in real life and beat the hell out of someone 5 or 10 times.. the wooden part is going to break leaving you with nothing to hold on to the hammer with. Also the mirrors represent..
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
the fact that Alessa.. hasn't totally taken control of the town yet.. she needed travis to go through mirrors.. and retrieve those artifacts of the Flauros.. in order to complete the main flauros.... I liked the creature design myself.. however I found that they copied th original patient design off sh2 with the straightjackets.
Do not read that unless you have completed the game... there's a spoiler there. Anyway.. I found the game very good.. and breakable weapons actually added to the tension of the game. Also it's far smoother than sh4 the room was with breakable weapons.. there was at least more variety to the weapons you use in this game.

Also with difficulties.. Sh1 only had physical difficulties.. meaning just with the fighting aspect of the game.. There were no puzzle settings for difficulty on Sh1.. and I believe that this game follows that example. Alsol.. this game took placee in the storyline 7 years before the original. I believe that the developers of this game.. wanted to give us the same feel of Sh1.. while still retaining the feel that we know from the ps2 versions.. not an easy task.. and i loved how they did this. Also I love all the extra's in this game.. it keeps you coming back for more.. However I felt there could have been at least a couple more endings to this game.. after all sh2
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
had 5 endings.. 6 with the greatest hits version.
But in short, breakable weapons isn't a bad thing.. the only thing i found stupid.. were the drip stands. I mean come on.. why use something as weak as a dripstand? And another thing I did not like myself.. was how Travis switched weapons.. I mean how the hell does someone carry around a filing cabinate.. and why were those alchol bottles soo damn large.. and also when Travis is carrying around various items.. where in the hell is he putting all that stuff? I mean I had like several filing cabinates.. and several crates.. and other things.. I mean at least in sh4.. it was a bit more realistic.. in the fact that you at least could not carry everything around.. I mean it doesnt make since taht you pick up a filing cabinate then all the sudden it's gone.. and then you can just pull it out of thin air anytime you need it. But aside from that.. the gameplay was rock solid in this game.. and I enjoyed every moment of it.. and I'm still enjoying it..
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
spunkytexan
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by spunkytexan »

good point on the realistic side of the coin on the weapons breaking, I can see that.

I don't mind not being able to pick difficutly levels on the puzzles, I thought that was not necessary before.

I did say I do love the look. You can see the first one all over it, and yet trying to bring the sequels into it...
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

exactly.. and that was a wonderful touch. I just hope that they do more prequals to fill in the gaps that origins left.. which I can kinda see that happening.. which I mentioned this in another thread anyhow. :D
Kenny28
Just Passing Through

Post by Kenny28 »

KEEP THE FLASHLIGHT OFF WHEN YOU ENTER NEW ROOMS

For serious, if you're tired of everything running straight at you when you enter a room, that should help ALOT.

Also, if possible, cold-cock 'em from behind with a forward + X attack with weapons like the baton, piece of wood, meat hook, etc. If they haven't seen/detected you yet, this should normally instantly knock down most straight-jackets and nurses.

This REALLY helps with conserving melee weapons.

First time through, I punched the crap out of everything too, including two calibans so....maybe I shouldn't talk :lol:
spunkytexan
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by spunkytexan »

You know, I had completely forgotten about the old flashlight!
ulcain
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ulcain »

I like the added realism. I also apreciate that they didn't go hard core and put a limit on the things he is carrying, that was a failing point for me in SH4.
King Crimson
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by King Crimson »

http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopi ... 04&start=0
you know you could have just posted youre thoughts so far here, as opposed to starting a new thread about basiclly the same thing.
Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon.
nowhere
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by nowhere »

I start the game today and i like it.
I dont play far. I´m in hospital.
This far it looks great.
Some nurse stole my hammer. :D
This far i like the new things, but i tell you more when i have played more.
http://p2.foorumi.info/silenthillsuomi/index.php

silent hill forum in finland
Darkh4
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Darkh4 »

I have to comment on the whole breaking weapons thing. In real life, many objects will break if used as an improvised weapon. Pieces of wood, golf clubs, or anything else that isn't really designed to inflict damage on things.

But I think the game went a little overboard on the fragility of some items. Things like the cleavers, crow bars, hammers, and katanas really shouldn't break so easily. These items are MADE to hit things. In the course of some the manual labor jobs I've had in the past, I've had to use things like crow bars and hammers to break up concrete. For hours. And they never broke.

I guess maybe the katana could break if Travis really sucked with it....
And thus we see the heavy stone, and also the steep hill, and look! There's Sisyphus, waving madly. Is he greeting us, or warning us?." -Tycho
Empty_Eyes

Post by Empty_Eyes »

Ditto on the crow bar hammer thing. Any body disagreeing... would you hold back when hitting concrete? I know I didn't... I was trying to destroy something. I'm going with Darkh4 on this one... somethings sure they make sense but a sledgehammer... pitiful... my father owns one that is completely metal and welded together... It would be amazing if it broke before laying waste to these fleshy mounds.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

anyone ever stop to think that possibly.. the weapons are only breaking because in Travis's mind they're breaking and in real life they're not? I mean perhaps the weapons breaking represents Travis's inner struggle with himself.. and how he's fighting to keep his sanity.. when inside he's repressing his rage and homocidal side.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Or maybe they're just ordinary weapons that break when you whack really hard?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]