So where would Origins be ranked in the series?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

PartyHard
Just Passing Through

Post by PartyHard »

Please do stop with this japanese=good american=bad nonesense.
Numb Body01
Historical Society Historian

Post by Numb Body01 »

The thing is, it shows. Homecoming was too straight forward, unimaginative and focused way too much on action and Hollywood set-pieces. Origins may have bit a bit unoriginal and had a few factual errors but at least it had the atmosphere of the Japanese Silent Hill games.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Yana
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Yana »

I have to agree with the above statement. The SH games that were developed by the Japanese are better. Like he said, Homecoming, and as much as I love it, is too straight forward and Hollywood-ish, like the movie. Origins did have bad points, but scared me like the first and second games did in places.
[url=http://iampaddy.com/spell/]Learn To Fucking Spell[/url]
Rattlehead!!!!
Just Passing Through

Post by Rattlehead!!!! »

SH2
SH
SH4/3
SHO

SH2 and SH are round about the same but SH2 is slightly better and i cannot decide whether i like 4 better than 3 or vice versa
It's Black Friday!!
Travis
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Travis »

Numb Body01 wrote:The thing is, it shows. Homecoming was too straight forward, unimaginative and focused way too much on action and Hollywood set-pieces. Origins may have bit a bit unoriginal and had a few factual errors but at least it had the atmosphere of the Japanese Silent Hill games.
You're damn right.
From what I've seen, Homecoming's atmosphere is EXACTLY the same as the movie's. I think it was based on it actually.
Oh man, a game which was based on an american movie, which was based on a japanese horror game! Doesn't this sound too ridiculous?
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
PartyHard
Just Passing Through

Post by PartyHard »

^ Eventhough I myself have ranked Homecoming lower than Origins, I recommend you to give it a chance. There are certain levels that are very much Silent Hill-ish. And no it's not based in the movie, though it has obviously taken several elements from it.
Nyarlathotep
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Homecoming was straight forward and unimaginative? I disagree quite a bit, though there's no room for argument over these opinions. The matter is that not even playing the game and ranking it lower simply because it's from an American team is pathetic.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

Mmm don't take it too far. First off, I'd argue one thing the film did right (at least for the first half) was capture the atmosphere of the games pretty damn well. Also, the atmosphere of Homecoming is not the same but some is imagery taken from the film. Annnnnd it's a game based on an American/French movie, which was based on a Japanese horror game which was in turn heavily influenced by American horror. I'd generally agree with you though. :)
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Travis
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Travis »

PartyHard wrote:^ Eventhough I myself have ranked Homecoming lower than Origins, I recommend you to give it a chance. There are certain levels that are very much Silent Hill-ish. And no it's not based in the movie, though it has obviously taken several elements from it.
Look, it's not like I'm rejecting Homecoming. I'll definitely play it. Although... I'm not expecting to get this SH feeling.
Like RE4 was a decent game but no Resident Evil anymore.
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

"The matter is that not even playing the game and ranking it lower simply because it's from an American team is pathetic", of course.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

No worries, glad you enjoyed it. :)
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I think I'd have it about on the same level as 3, maybe slightly higher, which is just under 2 (which is the best, imo!)...

I was really pleased with this one... I mean it had some glaring technical issues and the 'scary camera' sometimes obscured really important stuff (like huge fucking Carrion monsters about to charge at you for example), but I thought it had a bit of everything - I mean it had the cult type stuff from SH1/3 and the nasty otherworlds of 3, but it also had the deep, psychological and personal journey of Travis, taking me back to that of James in SH2. It was really cool seeing those two different sort of angles of Silent Hill come together and cross over each other.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

With every post I read of yours, the more I feel you need to stay around these parts.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

For me:

SH2
SH4
SH1/SH0 tied
SH3/SHH

Yeah, even though I played SH first, SH2 far surpassed it.

I really enjoyed Origins. As previously stated, it took a lot of the good elements of all the other games and presented them together in the same pack. The only reason it scores less than SH2 and 4 is because SH2 is a fucking masterpiece - we're talking virtually faultless - and 4 fucked with my head so bad it was awesome.

I did find it irritatingly dark, though. TOO dark. It was just annoying, not scary.

Incidentally, it's impossible to dispute someone's opinion, guys, so play nice.
Last edited by Vixx on 02 May 2009, edited 1 time in total.
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

>Please do stop with this japanese=good american=bad nonesense.
Yeah, that's fucking annoying :?

Err to me it's:
SH3 and SH2
SHO and SH4

But I like'em all... They all have their goods and bads, you know.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Numb Body01 wrote:With every post I read of yours, the more I feel you need to stay around these parts.
You mean me? If so, thanks, dude! That means a lot (especially after some of the arguments I caused XD). Anyway, I appreciate that you said that and that means I probably will stick around XD
shinkeidei
Just Passing Through

Post by shinkeidei »

1.sh1
2.sh3
3.sh4
4.shO
5.sh2

Don't bitch if I dont put SH2 higher, is my least favorite, just me, still one of the best games ever
"Hello darkness my old friend"
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

1. Silent Hill 2 for obvious reasons. It got everything right.
2. Silent Hill 1. Still wildly original, and stands out from all the other Playstation games I own.
3. Silent Hill 3. It would be higher if it was longer and more fleshed-out. It had some really boring levels too.
4. Silent Hill: Origins. Right smack dab in the middle. It could have been better, but it could have been worse. Though, for a handheld game, it certainly holds its own and more.
5. Silent Hill 4: The Room. Bad gameplay, bad levels, bad characters, bad controls, really awesome story.
6. Silent Hill: Homecoming. Bordered on ridiculous at times, and it obviously cannot compare to the other games. It was a fun game, but it just didn't feel like Silent Hill to me. The Order and the town felt almost unrecognizable.
From_Hell
Just Passing Through

Post by From_Hell »

I thought Origins was going to be horrible. I was delighted(?) to discover it was just low-end mediocre.

However I can't forgive it for undermining all of Harry's struggles in SH1.

Travis essentially saves Alessa first, survives the sinister machinations of The Order first, braves the otherworld first, kills a bigger demon than Harry did, first, AND assembles a pivotal plot device that Harry later uses. Then he trucks off into the sunset with a jaunty step and a grin. Also Pyramid Head-lite is apparently/maybe/potentially his alter-ego and his parents are deaaaaaaad.

Honestly he sounds like a badly written fanfic character. Aside from the fact that he's a meth-addicted trucker who stalks little girls.

I'd say that SHO earns a place at the rock bottom of my list with only Homecoming beneath it. Occasionally SHO fights with SH4 and they trade places.
serek
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by serek »

I'd put it between SH4 and SH:H at the bottom of the list. That being said, it wasn't a bad game...

SH2
SH1
SH3
SH4
SH0
SH:H
Why do you complain of your fate when you could so easily change it?
-Marquis de Sade