Bits, Bobs and Doo-Dads in SH:0

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

That would have had to have been a heck of a lot of smoke that doesn't go up higher into the atmosphere and stays close to the ground like...Well, fog.
And if it wasn't the Otherworld, he would have seen firemen or something there around the house.
LanceS133
Historical Society Historian

Post by LanceS133 »

Travis says "Not fog...smoke" and I don't think Dahlia tried to burn Alessa in the otherworld...
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

Maybe he thought the fog was smoke, but that is obviously not the case, because smoke does not act the way it did on the way down the road.
However, you probably have a point with the second thing...I'm not too sure about that, either.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

Once he got closer to the source he realized it was smoke. It is kind of hard not to be able to tell the difference once you are walking in it. :)
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

I agree, smoke has a strong smell usually, fog does not have a smell. Unless of course it's mist from gases caused by a sewage leak or something. Otherwise it's smoke end of story... however I agree with gamer on the point. That the rain could have stopped, because Alessa transported Travis to the other world. I mean perhaps travis was only briefly transported to the otherworld, then woke back up again when he smells the smoke.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

But then Dahlia would've had to burn her house & Alessa in the otherworld, I don't think this is what happened.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

Sometimes, a continuity error may well just be a continuity error. Or sometimes it stops raining that fast. It has happened to me where one second it was pouring and the next, nothing.
Silent Hill Locksmith
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Hill Locksmith »

the child was so scared, said the lady. alessa being acared of something.........why do i get a bad feeling that im going to need a rifle?.....

i find this interesting. you know, the indians in the town told their religion and stories not through books, but through plays? most of them did. and conveniently, their going to reenact shakespear with an indian rictual twist.....

so its fitting that theres a library there, too. because it doesnt matter how, as long as the information gets to your brain somehow. for you, the stage is now a library. cool, huh?
Alessyl
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Bits, Bobs and Doo-Dads in SH:0

Post by Alessyl »

just a dead boy wrote:
Krist. wrote: Just know for now that the creatures called Ariels in the game are actually named after a character from "The Tempest."

They are ;) The ariel is discribed as an airy spirit within the Tempest itself. I( haven't read it yet, but I will most certainly do that in a while.
Cool, Shakespeare references in a Silent Hill game. That is just awesome and it combines two of my favorite things. Now I just need to get the game and a PS2.
Are you still following me? Do I have to scream? ~Heather
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

Silent Hill Locksmith wrote:the child was so scared, said the lady. alessa being acared of something.........why do i get a bad feeling that im going to need a rifle?.....

i find this interesting. you know, the indians in the town told their religion and stories not through books, but through plays? most of them did. and conveniently, their going to reenact shakespear with an indian rictual twist.....

so its fitting that theres a library there, too. because it doesnt matter how, as long as the information gets to your brain somehow. for you, the stage is now a library. cool, huh?
I actually didn't notice that.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

The doors in the sanitarium that read "Mezzanine".

The definition of Mezzanine is: "An intermediate floor between main floors of a building." Though I would be more inclined to believe that the word is used as a reference to the Massive Attack album of the same name, which wouldn't be surprising being that Akira Yamaoka is a fan of Massive Attack and considering the Portishead references in SH1.

From an interview with Gamasutra:

Gamasutra: "Switching to a lighter subject, what bands do you like right now? Top five?"

Akira Yamaoka: "The Cult, PJ Harvey, Massive Attack, Metallica, and HIM."

I suppose I can forgive him for listing HIM...
nobody is anybody
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Pretty sure the door is just to indicate the mezzanine. . . .
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Silent Hill Locksmith
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Hill Locksmith »

no.....it must mean something.

lol, she might be right though....

ill try to remember some, but theres always a slight reference to something, its so stupid and indirect, you dont believe it, but it just might be..... like DOORKNOB or something, and it just reminds you of someone saying "doorknob" in a stephen king story...
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

^It's not a "she". Notice the little blue bunny.

And seriously, I'm not one of those "everything has deep significant meaning" types.
But to me the reference is obvious. Call me crazy.

I wish I could find the interview with Yamaoka where he states wanting the music in both SH:O and SHV to have more of a "Massive Attack sound"...

Anyhoo...
nobody is anybody
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Yeah, but the door leads to a mezzanine. That's like me saying Heather's Princess Heart costume is an allusion to Prince.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

^ And that would be a logical assumption if Prince were a major influence in the series. Unfortunately he's not.

I for one would have enjoyed seeing Heather drive off into the sunset to "Little Red Corvette" at the end of SH3.
nobody is anybody
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Massive Attack isn't a major influence in the series, only musically. But, see, the costume designer could love Prince--someone that doesn't get the recognition Yamaoka does--and no one would know.

The point remains the same: The door leads to a mezzanine. It's no more of a reference than a door being a reference to The Doors.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
TenderMercy
Just Passing Through

Post by TenderMercy »

I just played through again last night and it looks like the burger place by the Chinese restaurant (the one with about a million MSG crates) seems to be called Konami Burger. You can't completely see their sign but to looks that way.
...sounds like kittens...
MisterGrey
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MisterGrey »

The Temest is the story of a Duke, Prospero, and his daughter, Miranda, who have been shipwrecked on an isolated, magic island, so that his enemies could usurp his throne. On the island, Prospero uses magic to enslave two of the island's inhabitants: Caliban, the monstrous son of a witch, who himself possesses no magic powers, and Ariel, a wind spirit. Caliban is a brute who tried to rape Miranda, resulting in his enslavement, while Ariel is a poor soul whom Prospero constantly promises to free from servitude but never does. The play unfolds in real time, as Prospero learns that his enemies are passing the island on a ship; Prospero conjures up a storm, the titular Tempest, to shipwreck them on the island with him. From there, a variety of plotlines unfold, as Caliban tries to form his own army with some of the henchmen from the ship to overthrow Prospero, and Prospero attempts to set his daughter up with a well meaning nobleman, the son of one of his enemies.

Points to consider:

* Unique amongst Shakespeare's plays, there is only one female character, Miranda.

* The play is infamous amongst Shakespeare's plays for the vast array of interpretations it can be/has been given. Although all of Shakespeare's works are open to be presented in a variety of ways, the text of the Tempest allows it to be presented as either a drama, romance, or comedy, depending on how one wants the lines to be delivered and characters to be portrayed. Caliban, in particular, has been depicted as things ranging from a homicial, savage maniac to simply a horny loser.

* The Tempest is believed to be Shakespeare's last original play, although some scholars have attempted to place it earlier in his canon.
AlessaChevalier
Just Passing Through

Post by AlessaChevalier »

ok I just did a sweep of the house and I didn't find a photo of Alessa and Dahlia in front of their house. All I found was the picture of PH, a bunch of religious paintings, and this one pic of this dude who I swear to god has a afro.
When I become the voice of reason, you know reason is in deep $%*#ing trouble.