Anyone else more than slightly disappointed in this game?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Were you disappointed in Silent Hill Origins?

yes
16%
no
46%
only by certain aspects of it
39%

Total votes: 83

David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

The puzzles were medium at best, I didn't find myself writing down numbers like I Had to in silent hill's 2 and 3. But still the puzzles were unique, and certainly more intelligent then the one's in sh4 the room.. hell sh4 didn't have any puzzle except for the one in the circular water prison, if you can really call that a puzzle. Don't get me wrong sh4 was still a decent game, but they really dumbed that one down puzzle wise. But sh origins kinda brought back some of that original puzzle solving splendor.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
Liquid Snake
Just Passing Through

Post by Liquid Snake »

Silent hill 2 puzzle's were easy but 3 that's a differnt story.
May the force be with you.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Yeah I agree, sh2's puzzles weren't that bad, unless of course you set the difficulty up higher then things got a bit tricky in that game. As for sh3, the puzzles were very difficult, especially when you had the difficulty set high once again that really set things up a notch

Origins though, had one set difficulty for the puzzles, which was about the only thing that bothered me about the game's puzzles. Otherwise at least the puzzles required some thought in some sections.
Silent Vamphyri
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Vamphyri »

I was only disappointed by the fact that there were so many enemies that regenerated. I love exploring in the SH games, & those monsters completely screwed that up for me.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

I kinda thought that the extra monsters in the game created an extra challenge. I mean yes it made it more difficult to just walk around, but really just walking around in an sh game is kinda boring at times and will put you to sleep quickly. so having the extra challenge of being chased down a street by a bunch of snarling monsters adds alot to the challenge .
Silent Vamphyri
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Vamphyri »

I don't find exploring boring at all, & I think exploration is a large part of SH's appeal to some gamers. For me, spending time completing the map, searching for items, & taking in the scenery are the reasons why I play the SH games in the 1st place. Also, being able to observe my surroundings can also give me subtle hints about the plot.

& I didn't find running from the monsters challenging at all. It was actually really easy to just keep running & pausing every so often to check my location on the map....then keep running again.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

It was interesting, but if all you do is run for hours and hours and hours on end, with no action at all. Then after a time it becomes boring, because you're looking for something interesting to actually happen. I mean yes I love seeing subtle hints about the plot too in my surroundings, but even sh2 had moments where you had to outrun alot of creatures on the streets of silent hill. Hell all the silent hill's were that way.. even 4.. which didn't really go into silent hill.. except for in the other world version of WAlters twisted world.

But other than that.. all sh games have action oriented moments like Origins.. they just took things and made them more similar to sh1's style of combat and creature activity.
RestlessxDreams3
Just Passing Through

Post by RestlessxDreams3 »

The game was great, but I guess I just expected too much out of it.

I was hopeing for more of an explaination of the cult and the origins of the town.

Also, it was entirely too short, or at least it seemed like it. It took my friend and I 6 hours to beat it, but if we didn't have so much trouble beating the last three bosses, we could have beaten it in at least 4 1/2.
[img]http://i12.tinypic.com/4l75lk3.jpg[/img]
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

i wasn't dissapointed by origins because i didn't expect it to be great as it wasn't developed by the same people who brought us 1-4.

my expectations were exceeded, so i couldn't be dissapointed. heck, imo it's better than 4 was (although i still haven't finished 4)
Mr.Death
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr.Death »

Well,I didn't have many expectations of the game.I didn't even know it was on PS2 until just recently.I just happened to find it at Wal-Mart.It's really just an add on,not really part of the series.It was pretty fun the first time thru,high on Lortabs.I think it's a good game,but I even prefer SH4 over this one.I liked the new combat system,for a change,but wouldn't want to see it again on SH5.I thought it was just ok.
The death cannot die....
Michael
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Michael »

I'm enjoying this game pretty good right now (on my way to the motel).
[img]http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/3135/michaelcopypc7yo8.jpg[/img]

props to XxMAGGOTxX for the av and sig.
heavensnightsh
Historical Society Historian

Post by heavensnightsh »

I haven't finished the game yet so I'm not looking at anything anyone else typed, but I just did the theatre part of the game. That was very fast. It seemed like it took no time at all and wasn't difficult in the least. I'm kinda of upset about that. The sanitarium was alright. I'm hoping for there to be more to the game tho
[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/dbmhpc.gif[/img]
(o ) ( 0)[size=75]WOOO!|[url=http://www.silenthillheaven.com/wiki]Silent Hill Wiki[/url]|[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/tray.gif[/img]"What the hell is it?"[/size]
( ) ­ [size=75]I wanna thank you for this chance to be [color=teal]angels[/color] [/size]
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/Pokemon.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/HarryPotter-2.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/LGDare.gif[/img] Thank you Harrys_Girl for the Drawing Block!
[size=59][I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF][/size]
MEGADETH
Just Passing Through

Post by MEGADETH »

^true, way too short, should at least twice longer
but for psp console is an awesome game with great graphic
CutTheVeinAgain
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CutTheVeinAgain »

I didn't get far at all. Not much I can say. I'd love to go back and focus on playing it. But I'm moving, so that's not happening any time soon. I will complain about the controls. Even in the short time I played, I had a hell of a time with them.
Panzer_Kämpfer
Just Passing Through

Post by Panzer_Kämpfer »

The only things I had a problem with were the stupid camera and the shortness of the game. It makes 3 seem epic-long in comparison.
I always push the RED button.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

The game was short, but in places like the sanitarium and places like that, the game is actually quite long. And none of the other silent hill games were really all that long either, they were just masked with having to find so much shit, that it seemed longer to the player. Because they're spending alot of time solving puzzles and finding what they need to progress.

this game was about average length for a psp handheld game. it's been made into a ps2 port now.. and is still the same length. but we do not play a silent hill game for it's length. We play it for the scariness of it, and the story of it.
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Story first, fear second...
That's how I feel at least.
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Detective Cartland »

I thought Origins was excellent for a portable game. Silent Hill on da go.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/DouglasSig.jpg[/img]
[i]"And everything seemed to be going so well...."[/i]
Justicar333
Just Passing Through

Post by Justicar333 »

I've got a few grumbles, though not beat it yet. Then that's becuase the grumbles are annoying me. :wink: PS2 port by the way is what I play it on.

-Very large levels right off the bat, but I'm figuring that's a game length issue.

-Little chance to explore, character seems pushed towards the next goal. As to exploring in levels, refer to below.

-The camera is giving me some real problems. I can't seem to find the ability to rotate it like in other Silent Hills, at best it will flip, ONLY when in an area with considerable space. Hence my ability to skulk around is severly diminished.

-The breakable weapons get on my nerves. Their everywhere, clutting things up. Usually where I'm desperatly hoping for a health item after yet another camera instance got me pegged. 8) Not to mention I usually don't realize the weapon broke till the monster and Travis have resorted to wrestling one another. :mrgreen:

-Dunno, really wanted to like this one. And there are some good points to it. But overall, 15-20 mins and I've had enough. It's just too clausterphobic for me, changing the experience from chills to teeth gnashing.