Old Trailers

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

KageReneko
Subway Guard

Old Trailers

Post by KageReneko »

Do you remember the trailers of SHO when the game was going to be too RE4ish? Don't you think thay also crapped a cpouple of good things? The monsters were really stupid and I like the new ones same that the gameplay but I really would liked walk by that creepy hall with pictures and a door in the end... I was getting obsessed for know what could be behind it... I also saw a trailer with Travis looking himself in a mirror at the butcher shop, I really liked this but that place wasn't really important in the game... The dancing woman in white dress (Alessa??) and the wheelchair being pulled to the darkness... All those misterious shots of the Butcher shop (I really love that one with the meat hooks where the Butcher appears by a second)... All these scenes and places would make the game a lot more creepier but they just wiped them out... Do you feel the same about this? We sacrificed those nice locations for have a better and more faithful gameplay but anyway I'm a bit dissapointed seeing how the Butcher shop and the door hall dissapeared...
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

I agree, it seems like a lot of nice stuff was cut from the final version of the game. I heard that they had some additional areas in the game that were cut as well due to the memory limitations of the PSP and its UMDs, such as the graveyard we see in one of the earlier trailers and the spots you mentioned. The scenes that were in the old trailers would have added more flavor to the game, and I have a feeling that the story suffered from these cuts and limitations as well.

It's too bad that Climax couldn't have spent more time on the PS2 port, even a few extra months, to add in the stuff that they had to cut from the PSP version(and make the port less buggy as well).
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Hmm... I think this is the main problem ofm the PSP games... I love the graphics of this console but seems that they have to sacrifice a lot in the other aspects for have a good visual aspect... I mean look at Silent Hill 1, this game had more locations and 5 endings although the graphics weren't as good and all tnhis was in CD format... But who cares about graphics when the game is cool? Every good game for the PSP has the problem of be too short, I hope Sony can solve this creating a more capable UMD or planning better the games... An UMD has the double of capacity than a CD but the PS1 games still being better that their PSP counterparts...
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

What's funnier is when reading the old, old post when they were doing the RE4 style gameplay and we thought it was a good idea! :lol:
I have settled just fine with what they got on now. Although, i wuldn't have minded trying out the barricade system.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

There's nothing wrong with the RE4 Style of combat system. It's the fact that RE4 decided to FEATURE it instead of using it as a more background style thing. They made sure there was no lack of enemies to kill and ammo with which to do it, as opposed to giving you a good old fashioned RE feel with a town abandoned. Instead of being in a desolate environment, it was simply a hostile one worthy of most war games. Had RE4 not felt the need to over emphasize the combat, I'd have loved RE4 that much more... I just can't believe it was so critically acclaimed despite leaving behind the whole idea of an evil corporation and it's "genetically enhanced super soldiers" gone wrong.

If SH adopted the RE4 combat system, I'd have no problem with it as long as it isn't "FEATURED" in the game, and is put in it's proper place as a secondary mechanic to the story being told and the atmospher being conveyed.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I never liked the RE4 camera for Silent Hill (I dont't like it for RE but this isn't important) cause this would make you miss a lot of details from the environments... I still wondering why just SH1 has the First Person Mode, the game developers put a lot of details in everygame and we just can't see them... First Person Mode in SH1 was sweet, with this the game gets new although you already pass it and you can play to discover easter eggs and creepy details everywhere...
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

Since when did silent hill 1 have first person? (I know Code veronica did as a bonus, which looked pretty bad imho) the only silent hill that I know did that was 4.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Beat the game once and start the New Fear game, go the the options menu and press L or R for go to the special options, there you can adjust the bullets, make the running default, change the color blood and change the view to FPS...

When you be playing just press the view button and the camera will fly behind Harry's neck, now you can feel Silent Hill like you were there swinging an iron pipe...

http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=157

All these things are why SH1 is my favorite game of the saga...

But don't get poff topic!!! This can be closed...
Empty_Eyes

Post by Empty_Eyes »

The thing with RE4 style gameplay is that it's focus is on "Gun-play"... There is something special about the RE1 tank controls...Don't get me wrong I loved RE4 but I don't think it's right for SH... because you lose a certain degree of camera work... that I really think is a big part of the SH franchise. Where RE is about "Jump out and scare you" (which is why RE4's camera is wonderfully effective... because if your not paying attention something will infiltrate your peripheral vision and attack you and in my case scare me...) and SH is about building an atmosphere and making you tense, afraid of the unknown and not of whats going to jump out of the closet... though there is a bit of that to.... Just think SH2 apartments and you see Pyramid Head just standing behind the gate... the first time you see that... I don't care if your your a PH fan or not... that fucked with you.

So to sort of address the topic... I'm glad they scrapped the combat system... was it replaced by something substantially better.... not at all but it's more fitting. As for creepy doors... well every SH game needs more creepy doors...
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

The RE scare and jumo thing works better with the fixed camera angle, I really loved a camera shot in RE2 that shows you through the window like somebody or something is watching you, RE4 didn't have so many scares that made you jump, in fact I just jumped in the part where a ganado suddenly appears in fire from a boulder... Capcom is trying so hard to look EVIL and this just look out of place... Just look the new scenary in REmake for GC, there is a path with these signs...

North: Valley of Destruction
South: Cave of Hatred
East: Summit of Madness
West: Path of Revenge

Man, Umbrella is a cold hearted company that experiments with thier workers and this is enough creepy, RE doesn't need these SCARY signs for make you feel fear... The fear in RE is survive and feel the stress of know that 6 creatures are waiting for you in the corner and you just have 13 bullets in your handgun... Is like the RE4 thing about the sect, no really originalbut at least the gameplay was fun although I can't forgive Capcom for wipe out all the puzzles and looking for secret items thing... RE would be perfect if they combine they combine the fized camera angles like the original games and add the first mode mode for the shooting the creatures...

Returning to topic... What do you think the wiped places in SH0 could contribute to the story? I always felt that the story was incomplete and now I know why, in the trailers we can see a hand struggling in a security bed and this was used for the Bad Ending so I think they already had the story completed when the trailers were realized... Anyway the butcher shop looked like a level so I think this place had something important about Travis but what can that be? That misterious door in the hall with the pictures still printed in my mind, that looked like the door to the final battle but they just remade the green lion store... Dammit, SH0 was a good game but I realize now that it would be a lot better without the deleted scenes; can this be the result of have new people in the franchise? I hope SH5 don't have the same fails,,,
TenderMercy
Just Passing Through

Post by TenderMercy »

I was just watching the old trailers the other day and thinking about how different it turned out. I was pretty disappointed that the butcher shop was so unused. It seemed like it would be such an interesting place when you walk in and you hear all the machinery in the background. But then you just pass through with hardly a stop. Sad. Same with the graveyard. It just seemed so inviting. You know, in a horrible way.
...sounds like kittens...
Rob Matter
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Rob Matter »

I lost count of how many instances in Origins that the camera pissed me off—and got me killed—particularly when Travis walks into a corner and the camera becomes fixed. At these points I was screaming for RE4 gameplay.

RE4 pretty much set the new standard for gameplay in action-adventure games. However, I don’t believe its arcade-shooter style is appropriate for Silent Hill in terms of mood and environment.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

I agree, if they're going to put in RE4 style camera work.. it should be an option for those who like that sorta camera to use in the options menu. Not for the general gameplay.. because if they stick that into the general gameplay, it takes away from the game completely.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!