Helen Grady/Capgras delusion *spoilers*

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

.....nothing in that post had anything at all to do with what I was trying to say.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

AuraTwilight wrote:.....nothing in that post had anything at all to do with what I was trying to say.
I'm not really good in debating or arguing. Better just leave it here.

(I think this whole theory has gone to a waste)
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

The way I saw the 'Foggy' World/Otherworld connection was...Well, maybe the town wasn't quite in the swing of things yet; It's power didn't yet allow it to just randomly switch between 'Foggy' and 'Other' worlds, as it does later on, when it seems to have grown in power. Maybe the 'Real' world, the 'Foggy' world, and the Otherworld were three universes collapsing onto each other: The Otherworld being the smallest, the Foggy world being the second smalleset, and the Real world, containing both.
But, sometime after the events in Origins, the town gets more power (with age, evil festers, someone said...) and it is trying to combine the 'Foggy' and Otherworld. Thus, the random changes (or, sometimes, it seems to not be as random as we'd like to think...Which implies that maybe the town's evil has a consciousness of its own.)
Perhaps the world Helen saw in the mirrors was the Foggy world, also?
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

Video Gamer wrote:The way I saw the 'Foggy' World/Otherworld connection was...Well, maybe the town wasn't quite in the swing of things yet; It's power didn't yet allow it to just randomly switch between 'Foggy' and 'Other' worlds, as it does later on, when it seems to have grown in power. Maybe the 'Real' world, the 'Foggy' world, and the Otherworld were three universes collapsing onto each other: The Otherworld being the smallest, the Foggy world being the second smalleset, and the Real world, containing both.
But, sometime after the events in Origins, the town gets more power (with age, evil festers, someone said...) and it is trying to combine the 'Foggy' and Otherworld. Thus, the random changes (or, sometimes, it seems to not be as random as we'd like to think...Which implies that maybe the town's evil has a consciousness of its own.)
Perhaps the world Helen saw in the mirrors was the Foggy world, also?
Sounds interesting. But, the worlds are only forced delusions by the town.

Nice theory though.
Last edited by game_over on 27 Jan 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

Forced delusions? Like mirages?
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

Video Gamer wrote:Forced delusions? Like mirages?
Yeah. Like a mirage.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

But there's so much physical evidence those worlds exist, at least in the games. Last I checked, people couldn't die in mirages...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Video Gamer is right. The events of Silent Hill take place in an alternate dimension, that's an irrefutable fact.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
game_over
Hope House Careworker

Post by game_over »

"Alternate dimension"

just watched some SH1 clips and it seems so.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Bad boy suggest incest? I sure as hell wouldn't go that far.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

What the hell are you responding to in this two year old thread?
SHF

Post by SHF »

AuraTwilight wrote:Is it possible that she wasn't actually delusional in the strict sense, but was actually being pulled to the Otherworld in spirit?

Otherwise, this is a pretty kickass thread.
I believe she was really delusional. Travis suffers the the same " ailments" as his mother did.
He enters the mirror world. Which means, if helen was catatonic when she would enter the mirrors, then so is travis when he enters.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Comparing her to Travis is a really bad idea, considering that the whole mirror thing is, regardless of the case for Helen, made real by Alessa's powers for Travis.
SHF

Post by SHF »

Travis wakes up each time from a dream/nightmare after each of his " mirror visits.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, so? Harry "Wakes up each time from a dream/nightmare" after he visits the Alternate world, but he's still physically vanishing from the Foggy World.
SHF

Post by SHF »

Yes. Thats true.
The foggy world is the present world of silent hill.
Do you really think the town is populated? Its abandoned for the most part.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

No, it's not abandoned. The Foggy World is also a manifested plane just like the Alternate World. If the town was abandoned, or lacked population, then what the fuck are Dahlia, Kauffman, and Lisa doing wandering around like everything is normal?
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

It's populated, but the tourist degree has lowered down.
Dante
Just Passing Through

Post by Dante »

I just thought Helen "lost it",but well now this theory of the Capdegras seems interesting.

"She uncounciously wanted to eliminate her bad boy born from incest". xD Hilarious.
[img]http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/811/renadelusions.jpg[/img]
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

*Deep inhale, looooooong exhale*

Jesus fucking christ... Where do I start? Oh yeah, the whole thing.

Capgras means the individual can recognize the faces, but doesn't experience the emotions it would normally trigger, as there's damage to the area of the brain that would normally process those feelings. As a result, the person recognizes the face, but because they don't experience the emotions, they trust their gut reaction over logic and come to believe that the person they're looking at is an imposter: that they've been replaced somehow. No amount of DNA evidence or scientific explanation can fully make this belief go away- they may trust it for a little while and be essentially lucid, but the delusion creeps back over and over.

CAPGRAS DOES NOT EXPLAIN THE OTHERWORLD "DELUSION." It has NOTHING to do with the concept of the Otherworld, even under the pretext that the Otherworld phenomenon is real. The symptoms you describe have NOTHING to do with the actual symptoms of Capgras. This is just another case of glancing over a neat idea on a wikipedia page, cherry-picking what you want and throwing together a bunch of random-ass spoiler tags.

I get what you're trying to do. I do. But jesus, kid... just... facepalm.

And people wonder why I get angry about the misuse of psychology.
Last edited by lain of the wired on 14 May 2010, edited 1 time in total.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.