The Ring 2 reference?

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

LanceS133
Historical Society Historian

The Ring 2 reference?

Post by LanceS133 »

In the Ring 2, Samara's original mother was also in a sanitarium type establishment mainly because she was trying to kill/drown her daughter because she thought the child was evil or held evil inside of her, sound familiar? While playing the game I also thought Alessa's face resembled Samara, anyone else?
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Yeah, come to think of it it did kinda resemble Samara's face. Especially toward the end when you have that spectacular FMV sequence after the Flarous puzzle.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's way too much of a stretch. Silent Hill usually comes out and says it outright when it's referencing something from pop culture, literature, movies, etc. Besides, there's a difference. Samara's mother claimed that Samara was ASKING her to kill her; Travis's mom just wanted him dead out of frustration and annoyance, and she was committed to a sanitarium after the murder attempt. Plus, to wrap it all up, Travis's mom didn't try and drown him.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Nope, she tried to gas him and herself. :wink:
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

:lol: fair enough, made me think of it anyway.
sidrawings
Just Passing Through

Post by sidrawings »

AuraTwilight wrote:It's way too much of a stretch. Silent Hill usually comes out and says it outright when it's referencing something from pop culture, literature, movies, etc. Besides, there's a difference. Samara's mother claimed that Samara was ASKING her to kill her; Travis's mom just wanted him dead out of frustration and annoyance, and she was committed to a sanitarium after the murder attempt. Plus, to wrap it all up, Travis's mom didn't try and drown him.
I thought she tried to kill him because demons from the "mirror world" told her to kill her "devil child". That's what I remember her saying in one of the flash backs. So that's not to far of a stretch from a reference from Samara's mother. But then again, you're right about when silent hill makes a reference it really sticks out. Jacob's latter and Silent Hill 2, Session 9 and Silent Hill 3. Those both stood out. If this is a reference to The Ring, it's doesn't scream it.
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

sidrawings wrote:If this is a reference to The Ring, it's doesn't scream it.
yeah, good thing it isn't.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

Ehh, I guess I really wasn't trying to say they used the Ring2 as an actual reference, I was moreso just saying it reminded me of the Ring2's plot.
cultistofvertigo
Just Passing Through

Post by cultistofvertigo »

um... I dont remember anyone drowning someone else in ring 2. Ring 2 was about Sadako's residual energy... or something... slipping into Tomoko and Yoichi. Neither of their mothers tried to drown them. If anything, Yoichi's mom got run over by a truck and the girlfriend from... was it Mai? the girlfriend took over and they went to the inn and the old guy drowned and the scientist drowned and the girlfriend used her super powers to pull yoichi out of the well and then sadako was all like "why him?" and stuff....

yeah, what movie are you talking about?
In the future it might occur to me to type something really awesome here. I cant think of anything very interesting and not obnoxious at present, so, just... forget it.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

um... I dont remember anyone drowning someone else in ring 2. Ring 2 was about Sadako's residual energy... or something... slipping into Tomoko and Yoichi. Neither of their mothers tried to drown them. If anything, Yoichi's mom got run over by a truck and the girlfriend from... was it Mai? the girlfriend took over and they went to the inn and the old guy drowned and the scientist drowned and the girlfriend used her super powers to pull yoichi out of the well and then sadako was all like "why him?" and stuff....

yeah, what movie are you talking about?
They're talking about the American version.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

There's two versions of the "Ring" movies...The American ones, and the Japanese ones.
In America, the Japanese movies are usually called "Ringu" and "Ringu 2" for some reason. The American-made adaptations are just called "The Ring" and "The Ring Two."

For me, Alessa has always reminded me of Samara. (I saw The Ring before I played any Silent Hill game, so...) I mean, she has psychic powers, her motives are in question, and she kills people, obviously. Whenever she appears, I get the same feeling I got when I watched "The Ring."
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

There's a Korean version too, actually. And yes, I would put Samara and Alessa in the same category, and I'd probably include Sadako from 0: Birthday, too.

I really wish Wikipedia had a "Fictional Creepy Psychic Girls" category or something.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

^You could add characters from the Grudge to that list as well....they all look the same to me.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I wasn't judging from the "Yurei" hair thing, I mean the idea in general of psychic little-to-teenage girls with psychic powers (possibly brought on by puberty).

A bunch of ghosts don't really fit. :P
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

Add Carrie from...Well, Carrie, to the list.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Already ahead of you.

My list consists of:
Sadako Yamamura from Ringu Cycle
Samara Morgan from The Ring
Park Eun-Suh from Ring Virus
Alessa/Cheryl/Sharon/Heather from If I should have to tell you get off the forum.
Alma Wade from F.E.A.R.
Carrie White from Carrie
Jun/Yuki Kanzato from Persona -Trinity Soul-
Mai Kawasumi from Kanon
Rei Ayanami from Neon Genesis Evangelion
Raven from DC Comics
Jean Grey from Marvel Comics
Wanda Maximoff from Marvel Comics
Layla Miller from Marvel Comics
Haruhi Suzumiya (Contestable since she's classified as "God" in an esoteric manner)
Mai Taniyama from Ghost Hunt
Rachel Lang from Carrie 2
Charlene McGee from Firestarter
Saki Hanajima from Fruits Basket

*phew*

My current list so far, open to further additions.
Last edited by AuraTwilight on 07 Mar 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

It may be in the list above, but there's that little girl in the game Fear. Also the Project Zero/Fatal frame games are littered with the little brats. Anime is riddled with them as well.
Something's got to be done!
Who's the man? Me!!
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

LanceS133 wrote:Ehh, I guess I really wasn't trying to say they used the Ring2 as an actual reference, I was moreso just saying it reminded me of the Ring2's plot.
Yes you were, you put reference in the title :P

I kid, I kid.

From what I can remember of this game nothing really reminded me or brought to mind anything else in particular... besides Angel Heart, actually. But that's another story for another time.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Seal of Megatron wrote:It may be in the list above, but there's that little girl in the game Fear. Also the Project Zero/Fatal frame games are littered with the little brats. Anime is riddled with them as well.
Something's got to be done!
We've already gone over that ghosts don't count unless they were significantly psychic in life. and yes, the girl from Fear was covered, "Alma Wade."

I guess I should add where they're all from. I'll do that.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

AuraTwilight wrote:Already ahead of you.

My list consists of:
Sadako Yamamura from Ringu Cycle
Samara Morgan from The Ring
Park Eun-Suh from Ring Virus
Alessa/Cheryl/Sharon/Heather from If I should have to tell you get off the forum.
Alma Wade from F.E.A.R.
Carrie White from Carrie
Jun/Yuki Kanzato from Persona -Trinity Soul-
Mai Kawasumi from Kanon
Rei Ayanami from Neon Genesis Evangelion
Raven from DC Comics
Jean Grey from Marvel Comics
Wanda Maximoff from Marvel Comics
Layla Miller from Marvel Comics
Haruhi Suzumiya (Contestable since she's classified as "God" in an esoteric manner)
Mai Taniyama from Ghost Hunt
Rachel Lang from Carrie 2
Charlene McGee from Firestarter
Saki Hanajima from Fruits Basket

*phew*

My current list so far, open to further additions.
Nice list. o.o