Difficulty

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

iseetheecorruptly
Just Passing Through

Post by iseetheecorruptly »

whiter4bbit wrote:I strongly believe that SH was far better when you could select the riddle level.
I could Not agree with you more! The ease of this game is just mindblowing for a silent hill game. I ran and punched basically every creature i encountered,I finished the game with tons of ammunition left over.
"I give you blood to atone for the three sins"
Grotesko
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Grotesko »

I think the riddles were very easy but the enemies were a tad bit harder than previous games. That's definitely a good thing--I actually died once. D:

The bosses were really easy though, even the butcher.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Mariosrpg/Stuff%20I%20made/sig.png[/img]
foolycoolythis
Just Passing Through

Post by foolycoolythis »

yeah the bosses were a joke.
"The only thing you'll get from me is a gruesome death!"
Goodnight
Historical Society Historian

Post by Goodnight »

I agree the bosses were surprisingly easy. Most of the time you could avoid their attacks, and when you couldn't, the hits didn't take off as much health as I expected.

The enemies, however, I felt were much more challenging than in previous games. To be fair, I almost always play on easy when it's available, but I do think there was more AI involved, and the monsters hit harder.
Pennywise380
Just Passing Through

Post by Pennywise380 »

This game was incredibly easy. The only aspect I found somewhat hard to begin with were the patient demons, but once I figured out that locking on to them wasn't the best idea, they too were easy. I didn't die once - at one stage I came close, when too huge demons cornered me right before the final boss, but I had so much ammo and health stored up that I got out of the situation eventually.

The final two bosses in particular took less than 2 minutes; just blast away with the handcannon until you run out of ammo, then finish them off with the assault rifle.
"It's a trap to catch a fox alive... Foxhounder! I'm Red Blaster, and I'll slowly cook you with my grenades!" - Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Darkness Concept
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Darkness Concept »

Yeah, Im going to have to side with the people that thought it was easy overall. Puzzles were cake. The enemies may be tougher, but if you watch their attack patterns, you'll NEVER get hit. Use your melee for standard enemies, and like phantomess said, save ammo for bosses, and they won't hit you either. It's that simple.
There Was a Hole Here...
[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/octaveorange/waiting.jpg[/img]
It's Gone Now.
SapphireSerpent
Just Passing Through

Post by SapphireSerpent »

Hmm, this game was difficult at times. I wasn't particularly fond of destructible weapons, especially those that defy the solidity of the object in hand.
SilentRacoonX
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SilentRacoonX »

SapphireSerpent wrote:Hmm, this game was difficult at times. I wasn't particularly fond of destructible weapons, especially those that defy the solidity of the object in hand.
I agree, the array of melee weapons was dumb. I mean a plastic bin, gimme a break.
[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/yayoninja/skin.gif[/img]
In the Hall of Deranged Portraits I find myself...and there won't be enough left for them to bury.-SRX
purplepolecat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by purplepolecat »

So, everyone agrees the bosses were easy.

The regular monsters gave me problems at first because I was using the same tactics as in all the other SH games, i.e. just run up and whale on them with a pipe, or shoot them a couple times from a few feet away. The old SH monsters had very weak and slow attacks, so this worked OK.

The main thing that screwed me up were the patients' acid attack, which has a MUCH longer range, plus they tend to close on you much faster when they spot you. This means that you may not have time to get off enough pistol shots to floor them before they hit you. The grapple attack also sucks, because I hate timed button presses.

Once you figure out how a strategy to get around their attacks, they go down very easily, although I still found that evasion was usually a better option.

Also I am not the only one who initially had problems with the finishing move. You have to be in just the right spot, wheras in previous games you just had to walk into the body and press X.
I miss your kissin' and I miss your head
And a letter in your writing doesn't mean you're not dead
- Pixies, "Cactus"
abrasive
Just Passing Through

Post by abrasive »

I was pretty upset with how easy the game progressively became. There were a few good moments of panic in the first half because the game seems to have significantly less healing items than usual, and the monsters can actually keep up with you as well. That created an intensity I really liked, and always liked in these kinds of games. However, as it progresses, especially around the end, they totally overloaded me with weapons and health. All the bossfights seemed kinda anticlimactic in how easy they were. I was very disappointed this game had no Hard Mode or Riddle options - you'd think, considering how much replay value that'd create, and how it's become a well recieved series standard, they'd at least give you those options.

I beat the whole game with a ridiculous number of melee weapons left, never even using the assault rifle or revolver. :?

By the way, perhaps relevent to this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... Hard-Times
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

I really wouldn't call it easy or hard. It really was right in the middle. I was always paranoid that I would run out of health drinks or melee weapons, and found out by just running through all those monsters you find yourself getting by just enough. The Ariels were hard to get past, but nonetheless...

And the minute I thought I was screwed when my ammo was running low, they died so the bosses weren't that hard.
This game has a happy medium, stressful at times, but happy. :)
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by