Sign here if you think the story was TOO simple

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Was the story too simple?

Yes, I want my money back.
7%
Yes, but it's just fine.
55%
Maybe, I still didn't understand some stuff.
7%
No.
31%

Total votes: 42

Adrasteia
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Adrasteia »

David01 wrote:And when they set fire to Alessa, it caused such anger within her and hatred toward those who did that to her, that there was a conflict within her mind.. the conflict was that she still loved her mother and wanted to be with her. But yet the other half of her soul wanted revenge on the cult and it's followers.
Say it with me: the movie and the games are DIFFERENT. Repeat No. 47283.
Anger and hate is ONLY in the movie. Why is this so hard for people to grasp?
BarbwireEmbrace
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by BarbwireEmbrace »

Yes, the story is simple, but it was fine. I found it to be interesting, anyway.
Rule of Rose
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Rule of Rose »

I thought it was too simple but its okay.........its not even a REAL SH game, its just a prequel, something to fill in the cracks that SH1 left us.

I felt that Origins answered less questions than it was projected to do.

I have one question though, how did the Theater level relate to Travis?? I mean, St. Alchemila hospital was where Alessa was sent after the fire, the menta hospital was were his mom was sent, and the motel was were his father killed himself.

What was the significance of the theater level??
She said her blood turns to ash
Burning eyes can't forgive you
Howling moon drives on
And deep in me
Your illusion
What you see in me
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I thought it was too simple but its okay.........its not even a REAL SH game, its just a prequel, something to fill in the cracks that SH1 left us.
How is a prequel not a REAL SH game? By that logic, Silent Hills 2 and up aren't real because they're sequels.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Rule of Rose
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Rule of Rose »

AuraTwilight wrote:
How is a prequel not a REAL SH game? By that logic, Silent Hills 2 and up aren't real because they're sequels.
I mean that its the shortest SH game, only 4 main levels compared to 6,7,or 8 levels in SH1-4.
Also, I felt that the story line was rushed, didn't really fit a smooth transition into part 1.

Its called "an opinion" btw.
Howling moon drives on
And deep in me
Your illusion
What you see in me
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I know asshat, I'd just rather you back up your opinion with something, or atleast say "I don't think it's a REAL SH game" instead of an affirmative like "It's not even a REAL SH game." That's misleading and makes you look like your presenting your opinions as facts, which is a bad, bad discussion habit.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Rule of Rose
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Rule of Rose »

AuraTwilight wrote:I know asshat, I'd just rather you back up your opinion with something, or atleast say "I don't think it's a REAL SH game" instead of an affirmative like "It's not even a REAL SH game." That's misleading and makes you look like your presenting your opinions as facts, which is a bad, bad discussion habit.
Okay, but name-calling just shows how low your coping skills are when other people state their opinions.

Thanks for playing........sorry you lose.
Howling moon drives on
And deep in me
Your illusion
What you see in me
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I called you an asshole because you talked down to me as if I didn't even know what the hell an opinion even was. I don't care WHAT your opinion is, I just didn't like the jackass way you stated it as if it was better than other peoples' opinions.
Thanks for playing........sorry you lose.
Like that.
Scyron
Hope House Careworker

Post by Scyron »

I'm pretty sure, even given in the context of what an opinion is, his is wrong. When you come out and state a Silent Hill game isn't a silent hill because it is a prequel, or it lacks numerous locales of silent hill compared to larger higher production titles that are on more powerful platforms, something is just plain wrong.
[img]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2263/scyronah6.gif[/img]
Rule of Rose
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Rule of Rose »

Scyron wrote:I'm pretty sure, even given in the context of what an opinion is, his is wrong. When you come out and state a Silent Hill game isn't a silent hill because it is a prequel, or it lacks numerous locales of silent hill compared to larger higher production titles that are on more powerful platforms, something is just plain wrong.
Opinions aren't proven facts, they're just intrepretations.Therefore, you can't theoretically disprove them, only disagree (kindly without name calling). I felt that SH Origins was WAY too short and had WAY fewer levels than the other SH games. That's why I don't see it in the same league as SH 1-4.
Howling moon drives on
And deep in me
Your illusion
What you see in me
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

But saying it isn't in the same league as SH1-4 is quite different than saying "It's not a real Silent Hill game." Saying it isn't in the same league implies that there is a standard to be met that Origins regrettably did not--saying it isn't a SH game at all implies just that: it isn't a SH game despite everything that says otherwise.

I realize that you mean Origins isn't in the same league, but people can't know what you really mean (*especially* online) unless you elaborate your point to the fullest possible explanation you can, which I'm glad you did.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Goodnight

Post by Goodnight »

I felt it fit in okay with the other games. It wasn't as long, but it WAS made for a portable system. If it had been made on the PS2 initially, I'm sure they'd have made it longer. I think the length was a practicality.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

I thought it was fine, and it felt very much like a silent hill game. the atmosphere was there, the music was there.. and it was scary at times. So yes it was a silent hill game. again I just think people are only gripping because they want another sh2 type game. And as I've said before you cannot make a game exactly like another game. I think origins is unique.. and the storyline was good if you paid attention to all the memos that is.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
Scyron
Hope House Careworker

Post by Scyron »

How or when was length a determining factor? Silent hill one can be beaten in 37 minutes, bar none the shortest of the lot. Also time is entirely Dependant on the player and how much backtracking they may need to do, how much exploration they plan to do, how many marks on the map they want and how many enemies they want to kill.

Also coming from locations I think silent hill 4 had only 4, so saying origins had less is a fallacy since well there were 4, maybe more if you count side areas such as stores/the town itself or otherworld, which silent hill 4 hardly had.

I understand the whole point of an opinion I just can't understand why someone would believe that when their is empirical evidence that pretty much proves them wrong, even if it is a belief.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

I agree scyron silent hill origins was not all that short really.. I mean the sanitarium alone took nearly 2 hours or more the first time I played it. and actually none of the sh games had all that many levels to them. sh 2 only had about 5.. the apartments.. the silent hill historical society.. the prison.. the laberinth. 3 only as the amusment park motel room.. subway.. and hospital and hevens night.. 2 had that also.. but still none of them really are what I would consider long games.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
Scyron
Hope House Careworker

Post by Scyron »

they aren't since they feature massive amounts of replay-ability, to get the endings, accolades, 10 star rating, or speed runs. Each time you go through the game there is a chance you notice something new or might get a new idea for a theory. If these games were meant as time sinks in the sense of an RPG then I'm sure they could have done it but I feel with what they gave us in the last 5 installations, the players gets more than enough for their money and time.

Personally I haven't played a lot of the games any time recently so when I play through them again I tend to get the feeling of playing a new game, with massive deja vu through remembering parts but not in perfect order.
Rule of Rose
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Rule of Rose »

Scyron wrote:How or when was length a determining factor? Silent hill one can be beaten in 37 minutes, bar none the shortest of the lot. Also time is entirely Dependant on the player and how much backtracking they may need to do, how much exploration they plan to do, how many marks on the map they want and how many enemies they want to kill.

Also coming from locations I think silent hill 4 had only 4, so saying origins had less is a fallacy since well there were 4, maybe more if you count side areas such as stores/the town itself or otherworld, which silent hill 4 hardly had.

I understand the whole point of an opinion I just can't understand why someone would believe that when their is empirical evidence that pretty much proves them wrong, even if it is a belief.
Excuse me, how the fuck can you beat SH1 under 37 minutes, when it takes about a good hour to aquire the UFO ending and when Origins can't be beaten under that time anyways??

Do you have any sense of time?? Please edit your post plauged with fallacies

Another point that your wrong, SH 4 has 6 levels :
1. Apartment world
2. Building World
3. Subway World
4. Forest World
5. Hosiptal World
6. Prison World

And SH 4 Had several Stores too:
1. Pet Shop
2. 2 or 3 Three office suites
3. (If you want to count the Hope House)
4. Golf Club Store (Sports store)

And you place yet ANOTHER FALLACY about SH Origins having more than 4 levels, which it didn't
1. St. Alchemila Hospital
2. Mental Hospital
3. Theatre
4. Motel

You are soooo wrong, make sure you look at what your posting cause your just wasting space, time, and aggravation.
Howling moon drives on
And deep in me
Your illusion
What you see in me
MisterGrey
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MisterGrey »

Dude, lay the heck off. There's no need for all the hate.

For one thing, depending on how you consider it, SH0 can have more than four levels, if you count Nowhere.

For another, while I don't know about SH1 being beaten in 37 minutes, I have seen speed runs on YouTube of SH2 and SH3, both being brought in under an hour.

Nastily lashing out at someone is a super way to get people on their side and off of yours.
Rule of Rose
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Rule of Rose »

MisterGrey wrote:Dude, lay the heck off. There's no need for all the hate.

For one thing, depending on how you consider it, SH0 can have more than four levels, if you count Nowhere.

For another, while I don't know about SH1 being beaten in 37 minutes, I have seen speed runs on YouTube of SH2 and SH3, both being brought in under an hour.

Nastily lashing out at someone is a super way to get people on their side and off of yours.
Dude, if you were reading above, you'll see that my lashing is justified.

BTW, SH Origins "Nowwhere" level was WAY shorter than SH1's Now Where world, so I'll consider it as part of one of the miscellaneous stores you encounter.
Howling moon drives on
And deep in me
Your illusion
What you see in me
amphreded

Post by amphreded »

Posts removed.

silenthillwhore, your lashing was not justified because of its tone. You can disagree but keep it flame-free--people called you off because it was rude.
PM me if you have any problem, do not reply directly to this thread.
[size=84][b]QUICKLINKS | [/size][size=75][url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2362]SH1[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2313]SH2[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2327]SH3[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=43347#43347]SH4[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17936]SH:H[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=391270#391270]SH:O[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=85043#85043]SHMovie[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12563]SHGeneral[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/faq.php]FAQs[/url][/size][/b]
[size=84][color=grey][i]

[/size][/color][/i]