continuaty problems

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

continuaty problems

Post by SilentMadness »

playing through origins, there are some questionable areas where the history doesn't fit through the silent hill universe. One example i had was in origins, the beginning of the CG cutscene, you see the truck that passes through a sign that reads BRAHMS 13 MILES
I know that can't be right because in sh2 when you walk up to the tunnel, it says brahms 245 miles. Is the distance from south vale to paleville that long? I didn't think it would be. If you have other examples please post it here or if I'm wrong please explain.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

It reads 24.5 miles.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

are you sure? I didn't see a point there.
well, that would be one hell of a drive for a neighboring town if it was 245 m.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

There's no way "the next town over" could possibly be 245 miles away. That's ridiculous.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
emptimass
Subway Guard

Post by emptimass »

Meerly a mistake. I see how it could be mistaken as 245 miles however like Mockingbird said, it does not work. I mean in almost any State, if you go 245 miles you are in the next state or even States away. Unless of course you are in the heart of Texas.

Shitty pixel decimal 24.5
"No more soul to sell, 31 years and on my way to Hell".
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

Unless of course you are in the heart of Texas.
I know about that. I live in Texas. It takes us a whole day to get to texarkana and our neighboring city's like austin and san antonio take about 2 hours.
There's no way "the next town over" could possibly be 245 miles away. That's ridiculous.
Yes, I realize my mistake now, but lets get on with the discussion. Did you ever spot any continuity mistakes in origins from the silent hill universe?
words to live by
Rob Matter
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Rob Matter »

Mockingbird wrote:There's no way "the next town over" could possibly be 245 miles away. That's ridiculous.
Well, it could be hyperbole to express how far from reality the characters are.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

I brought this up in the SH2 section. I really believe that there was supposed to be a decimal point there. 1.0 mile to paleville. 26.5 miles to Brahms. Never mind the paleville welcome center or whatnot actually said 10miles, not 10 mile. I just think it was a small mistake. Maybe the Japanese producers of the game had never been to America, and thought things really are that spread out since Japan is rather cramped up in the cities.

Still, I wouldn't look too far into it. Remember that different teams developed SH2 and Origins and that some small things may not add up.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

and because Japan doesn't use our system of measuring distance.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
kamui3
Just Passing Through

Post by kamui3 »

The only other plot hole I can think of is the mental hospital. Brookhaven wasn't in SHO. I don't think the town is large enough to need to asylums.
Droo

Post by Droo »

There aren't two asylums. Alchemilla is a general hospital for residents of Old and Central Silent Hill. Brookhaven Hospital is a general hospital for residents for Paleville and South Vale, and also has a ward for the mentally ill.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

I think it's reasonable to assume that patients were admitted from a larger area than just Silent Hill. The location was probably chosen for its tranquility, not because the town was overflowing with crazies.
Radical Dreamer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Radical Dreamer »

Other continuity problems are Alessa being burned in the attic instead of the basement (which I guess has become the series' first real retcon) and Lisa's age (a subject that has been beaten to death in other threads).

Those are the only two that stuck out at me when I played Origins; other than that the game doesn't really get involved enough in the established parts of the Alessa arc to mess things up.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

If you examine the note in the Public Records building, you'll find that the police report was altered. The statement that the fire started in the basement of the Gillespie house was a lie, not a mistake.
Altered Police Report wrote:Looks like the fire started on the
first floor and spread to the rest of
the house. Circumstances are
suspicious.

(Someone has ruled through this
text and added a new paragraph.)

Seems there was an accident in
the basement. An old boiler caused
a fire that spread to the rest of the
building. The cause would appear
to be accidental.
Radical Dreamer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Radical Dreamer »

If you examine the note in the Public Records building, you'll find that the police report was altered. The statement that the fire started in the basement of the Gillespie house was a lie, not a mistake.
Actually, I was referring to the original guidebook for Silent Hill.

More specifically this passage:

"Q: What was the cause of the fire that broke out seven years ago?

A: A ritual that Dahlia performed using Alessa.

Dahlia originally thought that Alessa would follow in her own footsteps as a spiritualistic medium for the cult, but realized that the ritual would be far more likely to succeed if she used her as the surrogate mother to bring about the descent of the cult's god. And so seven years ago, Dahlia performed the technique to bring about the descent of the cult's god using Alessa in the cellar of her own house. Although it seems the cult has a place they use for rituals, Dahlia was confident that she would be able to summon the malevolent deity if Alessa was the surrogate mother; therefore, as it was not necessary to choose a location, she impulsively carried out the ritual in her own basement. The ritual process involved a great deal of fire, which consequently escalated into a conflagration. Incidentally, there is information in the game about "six houses that burned down in the business district," but the actual site of the fire can't be located on the business district map. It seems the houses were completely torn down during those seven years.
"

This fact was even pointed out to the developers themselves by SHH's own The 8th Aspect (he mentions it here.), to which they seemed disinterested.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

What's wrong w/ Lisa's age?

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Architect Eyes
Just Passing Through

Post by Architect Eyes »

Well, I seem to recall reading yesterday that people were calling Lisa 'jailbait' while she worked in the hospital and was boinking Kaufmann. But I thought she was 22 or 23, according to the game's guide book for Silent Hill 1. Which I suppose would make her 16 or 17 at the time of this game.

Now I'm all sorts of confused.
'Bill... Bill... Bill... Bill... Letter from dead wife... Bill...'
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Lisa's 16 in 0rigins.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
foolycoolythis
Just Passing Through

Post by foolycoolythis »

Rob Matter wrote:
Mockingbird wrote:There's no way "the next town over" could possibly be 245 miles away. That's ridiculous.
Well, it could be hyperbole to express how far from reality the characters are.
likelynot.but interesting theory.
"The only thing you'll get from me is a gruesome death!"
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

AuraTwilight wrote:and because Japan doesn't use our system of measuring distance.
Another point I brought up in my thread.

As far as there being an inconsistency, it seems possible that they screwed it up and didn't want to admit it... However the police report make it possible that they changed it, but not the reason. Remember that the original guide book was written before Origins came out and that some details in the game may alter things that were previously thought to be true. It's not necessarily breaking the continuity, since they covered it with the police report. All the original guide had to go on was the evidence available at the time (as per the developers), and Alessa's location is rather an insignificant point.